Neither Posh, Neither Poor!

Neither Posh, Neither Poor!

A Story by SCRIBBLER
"

This story shows how lucky we are to have a running water in our homes.

"

The haze over the distance was a simple symptom of thirst, thirst for water. But as always the wooden fence separated two ranks, two worlds. They were known to each other not by name but status. On one side of the fence the dry, parched land handled the homeless, the Poor. On the other side the lush, green grass welcomed the mansion owners, the Posh. But both sides fought only one thing - water.


Each day a water truck would bring water for the Posh and leave it to them to share it with the Poor.  The Posh would fight for ownership and the Poor would beg for mercy. The Posh would drink and whatever was left at the end of the day would be the price for the Poor. Years went by like this and slowly on one side of the fence the ground turned drier and on the other side the lush green grass vanished, replaced by dry land. But again the Posh would drink and the Poor would beg. Nothing changed and all hope was lost that it ever would.


Noah sat in class as the teacher drew on the whiteboard but his thoughts were far as he stared at the parched ground that once used to be filled with lush, green grass. His thoughts racing past the Water Well all the way over the wooden fence where children and elderly were experiencing more pain and thirst than he was. Sympathy filled him as he sobbed on the window sill, still deep in thought.


The hay struck the plank and separated into fluff as Camber fed the bony cows. The parched ground that had been parched as long as he could remember gave no help to his blistered and burning feet. The animals tongues limped as they begged for water to go down their swollen throats. Camber longed to study but no school could help him in this situation of life and death. A situation of drink or die. His confidence had not been shattered, though he knew he would die of thirst if no miracle happened. But the world still spun around and the day became night, and no such miracle occurred.   


Like every morning the water truck came and the Posh drank as the Poor stared over the fence. Noah yawned as he was awakened by the sobs and begs of mercy from the Poor. This was like every usual day but then it happened - a boy’s shout not for mercy but for his right. Noah, startled, jumped out of bed and gazed out through the window. A boy in ragged white clothes with grazes on his arms and legs was fighting for his right, shouting so that his voice could be heard, but as always the Posh ignored him and the boy turned back, rejected as always.


That night a tap on the stable door awoke Camber as he slumped away from his straw bed towards the wooden door. The door creaked open and outside stood a dark figure in a leather jacket. A boy emerged into the candle light and outside stood Noah. Without a word he pulled out a clay pot and handed it to Camber and said, “ Neither Posh, Neither Poor!” With that he left into the nights shadows.


Like every morning the Posh and Poor saw a truck racing towards the fence and the gate to Poshville was opened, but the truck ignored it and signalled Camber to open the gate and he did. He did not know whether he was shocked and delighted or both. With surprise the men did not utter a sound.  Instead they trod off towards the local well which, when looked into, was filled with cobwebs and insects. The men gave a short glare at the Posh but instantly turned. And then it happened too quickly to be true. Men went down the well and when they returned the well was like a dream to the Poor. It was so long that they had seen a clean well that they had forgotten they even had one. Fresh, clean water rushed into the well and as pots were filled, old sorrows slowly healed.


Among the people who were dancing danced Camber and his gaze fell on a face among the snarling Posh who was smiling as though a burden had been lifted.

“Neither Posh, Neither Poor,” recited Camber.

“Neither Posh, Neither Poor,” recited Noah. With that Camber climbed onto the well roof. All fell silent. Camber began, “We think that whoever has the water supply owns the water, but that is nowhere near the truth. Is water an object or land? It is neither money or food. Water is a difference between life and death. A difference we felt and can’t let these people feel. Water is nature, Mother nature.” With that he froze and stared into the deep hazelnut eyes of Noah as everyone’s focus turned to him and Noah.

“Neither Posh, Neither Poor!” they both recited.


That day a new relationship was forged not by name or status but hearts. Two pure hearts met and changed the way things were. A fence was removed that separated two worlds. A change was made by one perspective and was greeted by two pure hearts. Water had forged a relationship that could not be separated but if tried to be broken, it would just grow stronger, invincible, immortal.


The haze over the distance was a simple symptom of thirst, thirst for water. But no fence separated one world. They were known to one another by hearts. The ground was as dry as ever. But instead of fighting or begging, the town cheered with a grin saying,

“Neither Posh, Neither Poor!”

© 2015 SCRIBBLER


Author's Note

SCRIBBLER
Please Write A Review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A amazing story written.
"Water had forged a relationship that could not be separated but if tried to be broken, it would just grow stronger, invincible, immortal. "
I liked the listen taught in these words. Thank you my friend for sharing the outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


An act of courage by the young to make people see sense. Very good.

Posted 9 Years Ago


SCRIBBLER

9 Years Ago

Thanks Jemma
THis isn't bad at all. I like the story of How sharing came to be. Water was still a problem, but it was a shared problem, neither Posh or Poor owning it.

And I certainly am glad to have running water. I remember not having it.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

435 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 15, 2015
Last Updated on April 15, 2015
Tags: Drought, Equality, Life.

Author

SCRIBBLER
SCRIBBLER

Auckland, New Zealand



About
People may hear your words, but they feel your attitude!- John C. Maxwell. more..

Writing
DAD DAD

A Poem by SCRIBBLER



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Dark Days Dark Days

A Story by SCRIBBLER