poem: One Year In Love

poem: One Year In Love

A Chapter by Marie Anzalone
"

for my partner, one year after moving in together to start a new life.

"

It has not, by far, been a great year for roses, my love.

We have been challenged and tested in love-

for we expected the surf to be rough, my love,

but anticipated not a hurricane riptide,

relentlessly battering away at love.

 

And, my love, when the winds their fiercest raged,

I admit in fear I did despair, my love,

reconsidering our decision to love.

But you, my deep and dearest love,

Held on to me and held me in your love,

and for that we stand together today, strong in love.

 

And, do you see, my love-

there are wild roses now blooming, for love,

among the the winter windswept dunes?

 

 

 

January 9-10, 2011



© 2013 Marie Anzalone


Author's Note

Marie Anzalone
Two years ago, I walked a winter beach on Long Island, and saw, among the snow and barren dead plants, a wild rugosa rose incongruously in full bloom. I now think I know what the spirits were trying to tell me.

Happy One Year together, dear heart. You know who you are. Thank you for who you are, and for all that you do. And, I know that you will read this. Unlike others.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You discovered that however bad things are, at some time someone special can magically come from nowhere .. you found him and that wonderful love with a beautifully illuminated capital L.

You saw the sign, the spirits were there waiting for you.

Happiness

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

that is the beauty this day represents.. the sharing together of triumph and obstacle..

what better way to go through life than to have someone next to you to share it with

i hope this one year turns into many

filled with rose scented bliss and chocolate covered content


Happy Valentines Day sweetie friend

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marie Anzalone

11 Years Ago

Thanks, Antonio, see my comments below. This one did not go as far as we had hoped, but was necessar.. read more
I think suspecting and seeing confirmed in your response to Corset below... That this love is no longer so... Makes reading this lovely poem all the more touching... For love can be like a storm consuming and blowing us over and no matter how perfect this blossom, how strong its torrent, it is fragile.
For there are always these storms, threatening our love and peace, and in the end of the day, what is left of us when the storm dissipates..love stays ... Or has been blown away...
Happy Valentines Day dear Marie
Horizon

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marie Anzalone

11 Years Ago

Thanks, Horizon, yes, you are correct... this relationship did not survive in its originally intende.. read more
♥ Hope you have a perfect day today. Happy Valentines Day! ♥ Congratulations! Love is beautiful.


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marie Anzalone

11 Years Ago

Thanks same to you! I am single now, but can still appreciate and honor love in all its forms past, .. read more
Corset

11 Years Ago

Thank you :) I just plan on spreading it as far and as wide as possible today
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
OT
oh I love the classic feel to this - that opening line "It has not, by far, been a great year for roses, my love." just screams the romantics! very nicely done!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautiful! Congratulations on what sounds to be a very special one year anniversary -- may there be many, many more to come.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

cannot say I understand the beauty in this poem ..except that of the loving and the fulfillment with another...since I am not at that point I suppose my ego refuses to allow the beauty to come thru...the emotions on the other hand are quite endearing and appreciated I'm sure by the fellow...Beautiful wild roses are My favorite though no matter where or when...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

there is that someone who will read all our words, who will keep them in his heart

your words are lovely

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emily B

11 Years Ago

it is good to re visit loving words like these
This a a very lovely story. It is a love song for your "dear heart". It is a song of hope and promise. It reassures us that love is out there and can be found even in the most barren places that we visit. I was the hospice volunteer for my husband's first wife who died at the age of thirty-six of cancer. I was going through my own divorce at the time. Fifteen years later...we finally married eachother...in Vegas...at the Elvis chapel...ON VALENTINE"S DAY! LOVE is ALIVE!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is great to see a love poem from you. Your lies speak with a great power that goes beyond just the words you have put on the page. Your lines speak of a feeling and a connection that is strong and true, gaining the ability to overcome many obstacles.

Your poem progresses beautifully, mirroring the steady growth of those roses that you found in bloom.

May you have a blessed and bright year with the lucky fellow :-)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A wonderful written piece...there are signs I do believe...a beautiful piece and refreshing to know there is love out there...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1180 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 9, 2011
Last Updated on February 14, 2013

A Pilgrimage in Epistles: Poems as Letters and Observations


Author

Marie Anzalone
Marie Anzalone

Xecaracoj, Quetzaltenango, Guatemala



About
Bilingual (English and Spanish) poet, essayist, novelist, grant writer, editor, and technical writer working in Central America. "A poet's work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to ta.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Kisses Kisses

A Poem by Robin