'The' Arrested: Citizens Outraged

'The' Arrested: Citizens Outraged

A Story by Jason A. Skilton
"

--[[ 'The' has conducted its tyranny on the most commonly used words for long enough! But some do not agree. ]]--

"
___ once powerful and ___ most common word in ___ English language was arrested earlier this week. Authorities claim that this was a mistake, and will be fixed shortly. Many angered citizens conclude that something more sinister was behind ___'s arrest. 
Some claim that ___ A.N.D. (Anonymous Necessitation Department), ___ writerscafe secret police, busted down ___ door of ___'s apartment and arrested ___ on falsified charges. 
Others claim that ___ word's undisputed dominance over ___ English language has been a tyrant at ___ top of ___ charts long enough, and something needed to change in order for other words to have ___ equality they so desire.

No theory has been confirmed. However, ___ authorities also claim that they are looking into who exactly was ___ culprit behind this devious scheme.
Other organizations such as ___ S.S.C.W. (Secret Society of Cool Words), have banded together to protest ___ arrest of ___. Their efforts are proving rather ineffective, as ___ voice of reason for ___ S.S.C.W., Sir Rick P. McAstley III has refused to give up "___ third" from his name and has been charged with conspiracy.

© 2019 Jason A. Skilton


Author's Note

Jason A. Skilton
___ is a replacement for "the".

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very original, entertaining, humorous write! I found the acronyms hilarious, especially _____A.N.D. It has that clipped tone of a "This Just In" News Break, with a bit of dramatic theories thrown in. With all the political drama we have endured in the very recent past, I thank you for the laugh.


Posted 2 Years Ago


Entertaining and clever.

I would suggest not explaining blanks, but incorporating something we all know like The New York Times, to make sure your reader gets it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Augh! My third Rick Astley mention today! This was a clever premise, though. This short story was interesting and fun to read. It would be interesting to try to write an entire story with this. Well done, and keep writing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jason A. Skilton

7 Years Ago

You never have to give them up.
We've known each other for so long,

Your heart.. read more
Luther Calvin

7 Years Ago

We're no strangers to the Internet, and you couldn't get my tale from any other guy. But we both kno.. read more
Jason A. Skilton

7 Years Ago

Stop running around. I think you're deserting the problem here. But again, you're too shy to say it... read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

330 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 19, 2017
Last Updated on October 10, 2019
Tags: the

Author

Jason A. Skilton
Jason A. Skilton

New York, NY



About
If we were all inside a falling aircraft with only one parachute, I'd wish you good luck with the rest of your life. However short it may be. more..

Writing