Just One Night

Just One Night

A Poem by Heather D
"

This is about my date with my good friend Jessey. We spent one night together before he went back to Germany with the Army.

"

One person who's always been there is a friend of mine,

Just friends or are we more, there's always been a fine line.

We've played this game since middle school, when we were only 13 years old.

And though we've always like each other we never actually told.

 

He joined the army senior year, after graduation was sent to Germany.

We've kept in touch since then, and he's admitted his feelings for me.

He was home on leave for just two weeks, so we set up a date.

We know our time together is short, it's long overdue, I can hardly wait.

 

When I open up the door, he sees me and he smiles.

It's been so long since I've seen him, he's traveled so many miles.

We get in his truck and go to dinner at a place that we both like,

Where the subject of the importance of spaghetti spoons starts up a playful fight.

 

We go to a movie, a comedy, and laugh the entire time.

When he stands up, he leans down and kisses me, it feels right, his lips on mine.

It's gotten late, we don't want to part, so we try to think of something to do.

So we go to Wal-Mart, buy a batman kite, for us it's something new.

 

We go to the playground and jump the fence, laughing all the while.

It's midnight and so windy, my hair's in my face and I just smile.

We assemble the kite, he gets it to fly, but only for a moment does it stay in the air,

Cuz while it's up, he pulls me close for a kiss, and it falls from way up there.

 

He looks so handsome in the moonbeams, the way his cheekbones are hit by the light.

He gives me the string and watches in awe as I keep Batman in flight.

The wind gets too strong and the kite comes down, so we go to the jungle gym.

He plays on the monkey bars while I sit and study him.

 

It's freezing cold and the icy wind blows my hair in my face.

There's nowhere else I'd rather be then here with him in this time and place.

We sit and talk for a while, our boots hanging off the jungle gym.

We laugh and enjoy our night together, though we know it will soon come to an end.

 

He mentions his tattoos, and we talk about each and every one.

He rolls up the sleeve of his plaid flannel shirt to show me what he's done.

He reveals his forearm, and I can feel the warmth of his skin,

As I trace my fingers over the intricate lines of ink, every twist and bend.

 

After a while I lay back and close my eyes, enjoy feeling him so near to me.

Then all I know is his lips on mine, he pulls our bodies close as can be.

So we kiss as we lay on the jungle gym, our bodies tightly entertwined.

I never want him to go back to Germany and leave me so far behind.

 

He holds me tight and keeps me warm, fights off the December chill.

I know soon he'll have to take me home, but silently pray he never will.

© 2011 Heather D


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is beautiful. I too, know the feeling of having someone leave all too soon. It's heart-breaking. Hopefully, he'll come back to you soon. This could be the start of the first of many beautifully written memories.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I know I've read this one before and could have sworn I commented it already. Hmmm. A nice poem, Heather. You paint beautiful pictures and your readers can share in the moment just like they were there. Well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This gave me goosebumps. I loved this poem so much! This story was so beautiful and touched my heart. It was so romantic and sweet! You wrote this really well and I loved how you told the story. You allow the reader to imagine the entire date. By the end of the poem I was completely attached to it and didn't want it to end! This poem was just so beautiful!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Unfolds beautifully. Love is a double-edged sword. Reads lyrically-very nice!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Time goes by so fast. And everything we did yesterday is now a part of the past, a part of our sweet memories to cherish and remember as long as we live. How nice it is to think of all the happy moments we have been through with our family, friends and loved ones, and also the pain we had that we were able to make through. What we have now is today, so let us make the most of it and waste nothing because our tomorrow is still uncertain.

Beautiful work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


absolutely beautiful

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ah young love the memories of when we all ran fast swift and long .It is a beautiful thing that heightens the senses like no other .As you age these things become less obvious the tingling less intense these moments you have now are to be treasured and used to measure all others against

Posted 13 Years Ago


Beautiful sweet piece of a soldier and a lover. Romance in the air. The play ground plays off the innocence of the love shared.

Posted 13 Years Ago


i liked this one but it didnt seem to flow as beautifuly as the rest. but i can picture a night like this with someone i love. if i ever find him lol

Posted 13 Years Ago


I was sucked right into this story. This was so heartwarming and beautiful :) Great job! In one of the lines you spelled "spoons" wrong, but I can't find it xD Anyways, amazing job!

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

627 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on January 20, 2011
Last Updated on February 28, 2011


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Blinded Blinded

A Poem by Muse


Forgotten Forgotten

A Poem by TJ