Introduction to Characters

Introduction to Characters

A Chapter by Hollywood
"

Basic Intro

"

And so there were five, five rings created by God-like men whose names are long forgotten, only whispered in tombs of the ages. Each ring conceals immense power over the values that the five thought important. However, greed over came one of them. He sought to control all values, only being destroyed in the end by his self-indulgence but not before he could hide four of the rings across the planet.

10 years Ago: “This ring was handed down to me by one of my great ancestors, who was the thirteenth king before I, did you know that?” King Hansen asks Mishia, “and one day little Mishia, I hope to pass it on to you.”

The little girl the King is speaking to only nods in response. She seems to be only seven years of age but understanding of so much more. King Hansen bends down to embrace the little girl called Mishia.

“I love you, Pop,” she whispers.

“I love you too, Mishia.”

Chapter One:

Present:

Mishia:

“Tina, get this man some RiverShine down here!” I yell across the tavern to my ditzy employee. She’s fine for the work, since her body is quite curvy. Her face is a bit below average with straight blonde hair framing it.

She always seems to ignore other customers up-front when her favorite one named Ivin Knowles comes in for a drink. He works as a blacksmith in a shop he shares with one of his buddies, Thad Cooke. Which I find neither one good-looking. Ivin reminds me of a weasel with his long face and nose. His buddy, Thad, wasn’t much better since his eyes are a bit too close together, making him look like a fish.

“Sure thing, Mishia,” Tina responds, before slinking away to serve other customers.

I named this tavern The Mystic Elixir; however, it hasn’t always been my dream to own a pub. I’ve just always been the more orderly business type. people are always looking for a place to drink though, and we certainly won’t be going out of business anytime soon. The place isn’t much, upon entering on the first floor you’re greeted by a line of stools and the bar. In the center are five tables crammed into the space provided, various wooden chairs you can pull up and only three large booths in the back that could sit possibly six men. At the end of the bar is a staircase, leading to the second floor. Four rooms are all it contains, two being for travelers to stay a night in, one being my own and the other I rent out to the local w***e who pays monthly rent. Even though it isn’t a lot, it’s still mine.

“Has it been slow tonight?” one of our regulars, Kain, asks.

“Mmhm,” I say under my breath as I shine a cup, noticing that Arlen Moody is still asleep on his usual stool.

The night to my surprise picks up. I even have the w***e, Victoria, help out or else she would be on the street. I begin to stack chairs since only handful of people are left. Feeling a tug on my elbow, I’m surprised for the second time tonight. I turn to see Kain standing beside me. His body language says that he’s anxious.

“What do you need? Were about to close.” I inform him before stacking another chair.

“Actually I was wondering if you were going to be busy tomorrow evening?” he asks me, tomorrow being a Sunday. I stop stacking chairs to look at him, wondering if he’s drunk. He seems sober; in fact I don’t think he ordered one drink tonight because I can’t smell the ale on him and he’s standing straight at about six foot four inches, you would notice a slouch.

“Are you serious?”

He nods in response to my question.

I shrug, “What the hell, sure, I’ll see you tomorrow when the sun starts going down.”

He smiles, “See you then.”

Kain Furyan:

I don’t know why I asked that girl out, we’ve only talked a couple times. I reach into my coin purse noticing that it is very light, not any lighter than usual though.

“God it’s cold out here” I hear someone say while walking past.

Of course it is you f*****g moron, we live in a winter land! My head screams, but they are already too far away, the next person won’t be so lucky. As soon as I think it I spot someone further up the road, I duck into a dark alley way. Up closer I notice it’s the scholar woman that lives in a two-story town house a bit up from the Mystic Elixir. I chuckle to myself thinking, she should be loaded.

What she lacked in beauty I hoped she made up for in brains because her face was long like a mule, her skin the texture of sand paper and hair stringy with grease. I grab her arm pulling her into the alley, not much of hard task since she’s about three feet shorter than I and skinny as a rail. I place my hand over her mouth before she can let out a scream. The dagger that was concealed in my boot is now pressed to her side.

Cecilia Harrison:

He had long dark hair and was tall. That was the only glimpse I got of my robber before he twisted me around, placing his hand over my mouth.

“Hand over your coin bag, wench,” he growls in a low voice, his words hot on my ears. I feel a dagger pressing into my side.

My fear begins to consumes me, tears welling up in my eyes and I don’t know what else to do but hand over all my money. He reaches for the bag around my belt, snatches it and before I have a chance to see him he’s already in the shadows. I rush to the only place with people I think might be open, The Mystic Elixir. Anxiety and willpower rush me through the snowy streets.

“Someone has stolen my gold threaded coin purse!” I shout as soon as I run into the small pub. No one is around, except one man on a stool.

“You want to earn some of that money back?” he asks, with a wink of his almond shaped eyes that are the same dark brown color of his hair. His skin is more bronzed than his usual yellow tan without many lights on it, but body structure the same muscular build. I recognize him as Arlen Moody.

Mishia:

I hear commotion coming from downstairs, I know Arlen is still around since he’s rented a room but I hear a woman’s voice as well. I will kill him if he didn’t lock the damn door.

My suspicions confirmed since Cecilia, a scholar from up the road, is standing in the doorway with a tear soaked face that has bloated up and turned red. Her normally pouty lips are in a huge frown. However, I’m sure she was glad to be inside instead of the freezing cold.

“What’s the matter down here?” I demand, before getting to the last step.

“A man! A man stole my coin purse!” she answers with more tears streaming down her face.

She’s walking around at night, without an escort, and doesn’t expect to be robbed? A wealthy scholar crying about a few gold pieces, why do I even bother?

“Well, what did he look like?” I ask instead of stating my opinion.

“See… I’m not really…sure” she responds in sobs, “I just…can’t…believe this has happened to…me.” She was practically wailing by the end of her sentence.

“Go report it, it’s almost dawn and I need some sleep. I don’t know what type of help you thought you would find around here,” I declare harshly.

“Oh please help me!” she cries out, placing her hands together like she was in prayer.

“I don’t see what I’m suppose to do about it!” I snap harshly to stop her whining, “Besides that, Arlen has drunk about four pitchers of ale tonight, so go report it to the proper authorities.” I notice Arlen has passed out again, “go get some sleep in a proper room instead of making a puddle of drool on my bar!” I snap at him.

Tina Randolph:

I can’t believe it’s already Monday these hours are killing me. Maybe I should convince Mishia to hire some extra barmaids so I can spend more time with Ivin.

“Good morning boss,” I say to greet Mishia, but the only responses I receive is grumbily. Alright, I shouldn’t ask her about hiring more staff ‘til later.

The bell on the door sounds and who else could it be but my little muffin, Ivin. He’s come by to see me on his lunch break, he’s a blacksmith y’know. Mishia thinks he looks like a weasel but I find him most attractive. He has blue-gray eyes and is tall, with a sculpted build.

“You better not ignore other customers if they come in” Mishia warns me without a glance as she counts out the taxes she owes Mister Cummings.

“Well who else would work these hours?” I mouth off and immediately regret it.

There is a moment of silence before she confidently stated, “Oh, you can be replaced, all I need is a girl that has a good set of tits to fill in your spot.”

Anger swells in my gut; I don’t see why every one thinks my only asset is curves. She’s just upset that I have a fuller figure than her. I’m smart and I’m pretty!

Ivin Knowles:

Tina slides up to me to get my drink order. I’ve been courting her for about a month and half or so, she’s got great tits but not the sharpest sword in the shop.

“Hello, honey” she gets out in a huff, “what can I get you to drink?”

Clearly, she is upset so I inquire about what is wrong.

“You think I’m smart, don’t you?” she questions pleadingly, she’s practically begging for me to say she is.

“Well, of course you are, baby,” I lie.

She smiles, and her confidence seems to rise. Tina, oh, she’s so easy to fool. She takes my order and goes to greet another customer. Collin Mathis’s voice rises up in my ears when I hear him greet Tina by the pet name of sugar tits. Collin Mathis, the so called ‘world traveler’ and ‘warrior’.

I make my way over to the ‘world traveler’, reel back my fist and knock him over the back of his stool. His body hitting the floor practically makes the whole pub shake. “What the f**k did you say to her?” I yell while leaning over top of him. I grab him up by his shirt throwing his head against the ground and immediately his fists are up to block his face from another possible attack.

“Hold on a second man, I didn’t know she was your lady, I’m just making conversation,” he squeals right before I punch him again. My fist this time lands directly on his eye that begins to pucker up into a purple bruise.

“Get the hell out of my tavern right now! Both of you!” I hear Mishia yelling and her footsteps coming up behind me. She kicks me right in the ribs and repeats her demand. I roll over noticing she’s holding a frying pan posed to strike.

Thad Cooke:

I know he’s been courting that barmaid, but damn at least have the courtesy to let your business partner go to lunch as well. I sit on my stool by the fire to keep warm while Kain glances over what is for sell.

“So are you done with the dagger I want yet, or is it still being put on hold?” Kain asks me. I’ve really been meaning to get it done since Kain is one of my good friends but I haven’t found the time.

“No man, not yet, sorry,” is all I can offer.

“Aren’t you suppose to be at lunch by now?”

“Yeah, but Ivin’s taking his damn time. Did you know he’s been courting that barmaid? Tina?”

“No, I didn’t know that,” he responds while still looking at the wall of swords I’ve crafted, “do you think that’s what’s taking him so long?” Kain was never one to really take interest in the relationships other people had.

“Probably,” I scoff, “Anyways, King Hansen also came to visit his manor. Apparently he’s throwing a huge ball later this week there.”

This seemed to peak Kain’s interest, “I wonder why not at the castle.”

“I’m not sure but anyways, did you hear about that Cecilia girl getting robbed? She’s some scholar that lives up from the tavern,” I go on to say, just to make some small talk. He raises his eyebrows in some surprise.

“No, that’s strange, did they catch the guy?” He seems slightly concerned but beneath that I see he’s trying to conceal a smirk.

“She says she didn’t get a good look at him, dumb wench walking around at night by herself, she must not be too worried about losing money by doing that.”

Kain goes to respond but Ivin walks in, enraged.
“What the hell is wrong with you?” I direct towards Ivin.

Arlen Moody:

“I can’t believe the most ridiculous situations I’ve been in the past two days,” I hear Mishia mumbling to herself as she leaves to go to the back room.

“That little tussle was quite a bit of excitement, however the man was right you do have some nice girls to accompany you,” I say to Tina. She glares at me before huffing away. No one takes anything I say worthwhile anymore or maybe it’s because some people say my words run together. Victoria walks past and I give her a smack on her bottom, “WHOOWEE!”

“If you want to touch that you have to pay for it,” she informs me with a snarl. She’s a short woman with some hips on her, the upper half to go with it too. By upper half I mean chest and face, even though she has chubby cheeks.

“I do like ‘em feisty. What ‘cha charging these days Victoria?”

The door rings open and Seymour Cummings, tax collector and banker enters. I can tell Mishia isn’t going to like this one bit since her day has been stressful enough. More than that though I now have to wait on Victoria’s services since Seymour is Victoria’s highest paying customer. He’s never been married nor have I ever heard talk that someone was interested in him. Ironic enough though, Cummings collects Mishia’s taxes, and then pays Victoria who turns around giving Mishia rent; it’s a vicious cycle.

“Sorry Arlen, Seymour comes first,” Victoria purrs to me before leading mister Cummings upstairs.

Victoria Conley:

My profession is being paid for favors and sex. Seymour is my most wealthy ‘client’ he’s here almost every other day. Surprisingly enough the man has never been married, I don’t know why since he’s not terribly bad looking.

I glance over, as he gets dressed, maybe if he lost that little belly he has… Whatever the case, I ain’t asking, it’s not my business about his dating life or lack there of. “See you soon,” I coo at him as he slides on his last boot.

He smiles at me, well he could use a shave too and maybe a haircut. Honestly, I don’t know why he wears a ponytail everyday.

Mishia:

“I know Isabel, I should go to church more,” I tell the minister, who just happened to drop by to give a little lecture on my absence yesterday in church.

“I’m very disappointed and so is our god Aeon,” she tells me harshly.

“Oh don’t speak for the gods, you’re only a preacher!” Arlen yells, slamming his fist down on the counter. It would appear he has been eavesdropping, “Well, don’t mind me,” he mumbles before taking another sip of ale.

“You should seek help from Aeon for your addiction to drink, I will pray for you tonight my very lost friend,” she says calmly to Arlen. She places her hand on his shoulder and does a quick smile that exposes her gapped front teeth. Then turns back to me, “well, I expect to see you there this Sunday, alright?”

I merely nod before someone else is tapping my shoulder to bother me. It’s Seymour Cummings coming to collect, I hand him what I owe and shoo him away.

“Speaking of Sunday, didn’t I see you with Kain Furyan?” Arlen asks me with a raised eyebrow, “Did he by any chance have a gold threaded coin purse?”

“Why?” I shoot back narrowing my eyes at him. Arlen leans over to whisper.

“Not much, just that Cecilia had a gold threaded coin purse that got stolen. Kain leaves the pub and thirty minutes later that little lady is rushing in here boohooing and what not,” he explains, “just might have been him.”

“Right, I’m sure he’s the robber,” my statement seeping with sarcasm.

Arlen just shrugs, “I’m only saying he left, and then she was in here shortly after.”

I try to get my conversation with Arlen Moody out of my head, but lying in bed that night it kept coming back to me. The timing seems almost too perfect but there could have been someone else out to rob that night, there’s hardly any evidence that Kain stole that snooty scholar’s purse anyways.

Kain:

The next morning I had to go see the dyers about getting the coin purse I had stolen changed in color. Nolan and Helena Mills run a little dye shop as a cover to their drug market. They’ve got practically everything there.

“What can we do for you today?” Nolan inquires when I enter.

“Need this coin purse dyed black,” I say, handing over the stolen article.

“Oh, it’s description fits the one that was stolen, what a coincidence” Nolan states smugly in a singsong voice, with a s**t-eating grin upon his face. If he says one more thing I will cut out his f*****g Adam’s apple from his throat.

He sips on his pipe, gives me the price, which I pay with the stolen money I collected last night. “Thanks,” I mumble because he’s probably the only one that has caught on to me.

“It’s not really a problem except I’m looking for some other payment as well.”

I close the shop door turning around to face him, “What is that?” My eyebrow is raised.

“You’ve heard gossip of this ball at the King’s estate…well, I want a certain book from the library there.”

I let out a half-laugh, “Steal from the King?”

Nolan nods, “Aye. From the King.”

I have to let out a smile, the job is dangerous but why the hell not?

I spy Ivin and Thad in the back booth of the Mystic Elixir; they wave me over and make room in the packed booth for me. It’s only a Tuesday night but the tiny tavern is packed to the brim. Tina comes over, wearing a lower cut corset than usual, and it seems like she makes sure to bends lower when taking orders so you notice the deep plunge of cleavage. I order a Modest Comic before turning to Ivin, “Have you seen Collin around at all?”

“Not since the incident the other day,” he half shouts over the noise.

“I’m shocked Mishia let you back in here after that.”

“By the way, are you seeing her?” Thad questions, leaning over Ivin to make sure he hears my answer.

“Kind of.”

“You know a lot of people are talking about you,” Mishia tells me after everyone has cleared out, even Arlen has gone home and Victoria is asleep in her room. Suddenly some worry is in my gut, I’ve never been the talk of town.

“Go on, I’m sure it’s only petty rumors” I reassure her.

“Well, some have said you stole Cecilia’s purse, is that true?”

“No, it’s not actually, my coin purse is black,” I explain, and pull out a black bag to show her. I see relief come over her face, then a smile.

“I can’t believe I thought that nonsense was true.”

“Me neither,” I say teasingly. I put my arm around her and the look of relief is gone but replaced by a different type of worry.

“There’s no reason to be afraid, I’m not trying to rush things,” I whisper.

There’s a distinct pause in the conversation before she breaks the silence, “Why are you whispering?” she asks suddenly, her voice louder than mine.

“I’m not sure.”

I walk back over to the dye shop to pick up my item that I dropped off yesterday & of course, Nolan is waiting on me.

“One black coin purse, here you go,” he states.

I nod in acknowledgment of thanks.

“I heard your seeing that little pub owner, Mishia. Want to hear a bit of news about her?” Nolan asks but before giving me a chance to respond he rushes into his next sentence, “she’s supposedly the king’s granddaughter or something. It’s supposed to be very hush-hush though.” He puts a finger over his lips when saying hush-hush and leaves it there until I nod again so he understands I have heard him.

I swear all that ixedan he smokes is messing up his mind. Mishia. Being related to the king? That’s absurd.

Mishia:

After pulling on layers of fabric I finally get the chance to look at myself in the mirror. The dress my grandfather sent over for the ball is far more exquisite than I expected. The neck lining is a curve from shoulder to shoulder, only exposing my collarbones, while the bodice is so tightly fitted I can hardly breathe. Two bows are placed on my hips before the dress expands out and down, ending as it hits the floor. The fabric, thankfully, was made of soft cotton.

A knock at the door startles me, “Come in,” I shout. My grandfather the King enters, immediately we embrace.

“It’s so good to see you,” he says with a smile, his voice strong for his age.

“I’m glad to see you as well, Pop.”

He reaches out to hold my hands “Are you ready for the royal ball tonight?”

I nod. My smile hasn’t left my face.

The large chandelier lit the room brightly accompanied by tapestries displaying winter scenes. My grandparents sit on their thrones nodding and smiling at events taking place on the dance floor. I notice the King waving to me. He truly has aged well by living a healthy, happy life. The wrinkles around his mouth and eyes were only present there from smiling so often.

“What’s wrong, Mishia?” my dance partner asks me while I’m in a mid-spin.

“Oh nothing,” I say trying to give my best smile, however I swear to Aeon I just saw Kain walking through the crowd.

Kain:

Oh s**t, I hope she didn’t see me. I’m making my way through a crowd of people when I spot Mishia in a sapphire blue dress that has silver stitching making a pattern of flowers. She really is beautiful when she wants to be. I can’t believe Nolan Mills was right. She must be the Kings granddaughter after all or is important enough to get an invitation. Geez, I had to climb threw an open window in a guest bathroom. It was a nice bathroom though.

“How you doing there? The name is Andrew Shaw…Nice suit, by the way.” He looks my tailored suit over, I wonder if he recognizes another man was wearing it earlier. Before I knocked him out with a candlestick in the bathroom.

I blow off his comment with a thank you, looking past the other guests at Mishia.

“I see you’ve taken notice of that red-head,” he remarks with an egoistic smirk.

I turn to him, “Yeah, what about it?”

“No need to get offensive. It’s only that she happens to be the King’s granddaughter. She is quite a head turner I must say.”

I knock into his shoulder to get up the stairs causing the wine glass he held to spill down his tunic. I hear him curse but I’m already up the steps. I look down at all the attendants to the ball, noticing Andrew has asked Mishia for a dance. If anyone were around they could see I am glowing with jealousy. No time for distractions. I’ll let them dance for now.

I’ve been looking for the damn library for half the night, the hallways practically form mazes and to my amazement the guards appear only to be at the entrances and exits. My heart speeds up when I do see a guard making his round down the hall. I fade into the nearest door way, closing the door quietly behind me. I turn around, the room is dark but I notice a sliver of moon light shining on a row of shelves filled with books. I’ve finally discovered the library! Maybe Maverick* is looking out for me this evening.

Making my way to the ‘classified’ section of the library I notice an awfully dusty bookshelf but one book in particular is not dusty at all. Curiosity gets the better of me as I reach for it. Curiosity rewards me this time. Upon pulling the book, the shelf begins to move as well, opening a passage way. The passage way wasn’t long only leading to a four by four room containing a lit torch and pedestal.

A ring was floating just above the pedestal. The band being made of silver but the gem containing a wave of different images. Images of rain, sunshine, wind and the seasons. No doubt this thing ring is worth a fortune. Before I had a chance to think about what spells or traps might keep this ring safe it was in the palm of my hand.

I pass a guard on the steps leading back to the grand hall. He nods at me, “Good evening sir.”

I respond with a nod, time to get the hell out of here.

I make it to the bottom of the steps when I hear a familiar voice, “How’d you get in?” It’s Mishia with her arms crossed and brow narrowed.

“Oh, You know me. I climbed in through a window and stole some poor sap’s suit” I say with a chuckle.

Her face relaxes, a smile appears, “do you want to have a dance?”

I shake my head, “ No, I must make my leave. Besides aren’t you dancing with the man who has a wine stain on his tunic?” She blushes a pink rose color as I point over to Mister Shaw, “Him, right?”

She turns to confirm her previous partner while I slip into the crowd. Her face is confused when she discovers I’ve left. She glances around for me but only shrugs.

“Everyone stop! Stop the music!” the King bellows. Which of course everyone freezes. “Someone has broken in and stolen a man’s suit, we have just found him tied in the downstairs bathroom, he‘s still unconscious. Do not be alarmed, the guards are looking everywhere to make sure we are secure.”

Actual fear rises in me, I have two stolen items in my jacket pockets of a stolen suit. I slowly back through the crowd, almost there. Almost to the door.

“Also a very important heirloom has gone missing, a family ring” the King announces, while saying this he seems to look directly at me, “if anyone sees any suspicious activity be sure to report it. The guards will also be going around to ask questions.”

I feel a heavy hand on my shoulder, “Sir, do you have an invitation for tonight?” Mister Shaw asks me. It figures he would be asking me these questions after the wine on the stair case incident.

Actually he’s with me,” Mishia explains, coming from no where.

Andrew raises his eyebrows, makes a grunting noise before going on to question others. Thank Maverick!

I escort Mishia to her carriage, right after she saved me from Mister Shaw.

“I really appreciate what you did for me,” I say to her with a smile.

“It’s fine.” She climbs into the carriage with my help, wrapping her sapphire dress around her. I close the door but before the carriage pulls off, she leans her head out of the side window. Slowly places her hand around the base of my neck, butterflies start in my stomach before she briefly presses her lips to mine. “I guess you owe me.” Some how I get this feeling that I don’t know how to explain, I guess most people would call it guilt?

Once by candle light in the privacy of my home I look over the book Nolin wanted, it has no title just a worn brown leather cover. Might as well take a peek before handing it over. Probably some useless drug manual or something of the sorts. I began to read the pages which told the oldest stories of time, it talked of five courageous men and the rings they held important to them. Immediately I groped in my pocket in search of the ring but all I found was a hole in the bottom. Panic rose in me, I wonder who will hold the power of the seasons now…

I kept on reading, in hope of clues to the four others that I might be able to find in travels. There’s no way Nolin is getting this book back.

Isabel:

It’s been a night after the ring was ‘stolen’ but it was I who stumbled upon it in the grand hall. My first thought being to return it; however, I could do so much good with it I decided to…borrow it for awhile. Pelor would understand and now that I know the legends are true I must find the other rings to help serve my godly purpose.

I put on my white minister robe, glance into my vanity then appear before the church congregation. Everyone is in attendance, even Mishia, hopefully my lecture had some effect on her.

“Good Morning” I greet everyone.

Mishia:

Isabel McClean finally appears from a small door that would lead to her home since the church also so serves as a double for her house. She’s in her usual white robe, ready to preach the great word. We of course go through the usual sermon of what is acceptable to our Lord, Pelor.

“I also have an announcement, I will be leaving on a pilgrimage to a shrine in the mountains,” she declares.

Everyone seems content and praises her for her soon to be noble deed but it seems odd that the King’s ring has only gone missing yesterday. Is she trying to skip town? After her short announcement were free to leave, Andrew Shaw is waiting at the exit for me. “The King needs to see you,” he explains.

“Is it important?” I question eagerly.

He nods, taking the crook of my arm to escort me back to the manor.

“Kain Furyan is the culprit,” my Pop informs me. We’ve met in a small meeting chamber connecting to his bed chambers, only Andrew Shaw, myself & the King are witness to the conversation.

My knees begin to tremble, “Why do you think it was him?”

“I had Wilma, your grandmother, put a little spell on it. A True Seeing spell, allowing her to see everyone that ever enters the secret room where we kept the ring of seasons hidden. I know it will be hard for you to accept this journey but I’m trusting you & several knights to find Kain Furyan. Our family heirloom must be in the right hands, if in the wrong one’s then who knows what could happen.”

A tear swells in my eye, I have never felt more betrayed. As much as I feel the need to spare Kain, I also wish to destroy him. If he hasn’t skipped town already then this task will only be an easy one. My face is full of emotion while the King is emotionless.

I nod in acceptance of what my grandfather is asking, as another tear rolls down my cheek.

“I think he will be looking for the next ring, the ring of Love, you must find it before him & if you find him along the way capture him,” Pop explains, “Not only will knights go along with you, I’m also sending Arlen Moody & Collin Mathis for extra measure for their tracking skills.”

I leave the meeting chamber with Andrew Shaw who is equipped with other foot soldiers so we can scan the streets incase we find Kain here.

Kain:

“I know it’s going to be a tough journey man, but look how many favors I’ve done for you,” I plead with Thad and Ivin. The blacksmith shop is closed but we’re all standing around the fire talking. I have to convince them soon to leave or else I’ll be on my own. Possibly even worse, dead or in jail.

“The King will be looking for us,” Ivin states as he paces from one side of the room to the other.

“He’s already looking for me…” I mumble.

“What’s that? Already looking for you? What did you do?” Ivin inquires all at once.

I explain my short story of finding the ring, leaving out the part of loosing it. “So you see I already have one!” I lie, “Our journey will only be short, we can split the power. And if you two don’t come with me, then I’m on my own because I know the King’s soldiers are already looking for me. They’ll probably have a hanging for me in town tomorrow.”

Ivin is still pacing while Thad has his head propped by a fist, “Let’s just do it.” Thad interjects making Ivin stop to try to figure out if he’s joking.

“F**k it man, your going to sit around and let the King take your friend away when you have some chance to help him out?” Thad says to Ivin. Then a knock is at the door, we all look at each other. Thad signals for me to slip out the back, “Coming!” he yells. We all know for certain who is calling.

Thad:

Ivin immediately becomes quite, he must be as nervous as I am. My heart races, blood is pumping faster, it feels like I’m about to vomit all my guts up just because of a knock at the door. I answer it promptly, who else could it be besides the King’s knights & granddaughter? My worries were confirmed. Five knights in full armor stood behind Mishia, “where is Kain Furyan?”

“Well I’m not sure, I haven’t seen him since… the other day when he checked in on his sword,” I lie. I notice a tall guard licking his lips, he must be Andrew Shaw.

“Search the entire place,” Mishia orders, getting quick results from the five tin cans. They push past me, digging through small closets & empty barrels. I’m glad I told Kain to slip out the back.

Mishia stands at the door way, making sure no one enters or leaves. Her eyes determined & full of rage. There is another look in her eyes as well though, hurt. She tries not to show it by standing tall, strong, her hands placed on her hips. Her red cloak is wrapped around her shoulders matching her hair that is pulled tightly back in a high braid.

“There’s nothing here Mishia, he must have already left town, we must begin to search the woods,” Andrew Shaw informs her as he moves towards the entry way himself. Mishia only nods. “Don’t worry, we’ll find him,” Andrew Shaw states, and then brushes her arm with his hand.

As soon as the guards leave Kain is already back inside, “thanks for saving me.”

I shrug it off like it is nothing, “where can we find the next ring?”

“Believe me, I know a guy.”

Irvin sighs, “what have we gotten ourselves into.”



© 2010 Hollywood


Author's Note

Hollywood
Please leave constructive critism.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

324 Views
Added on January 25, 2010
Last Updated on January 25, 2010


Author

Hollywood
Hollywood

Stockton, CA



About
I'm Holly, I am eighteen. I like feed-back on my writing to improve myself. I'm loud, sarcastic, always smiling. Sometimes vulgar, rude & judging. :] note: for read requests i generally read onl.. more..

Writing
Marbles Marbles

A Story by Hollywood