Short Story 3.   The Crush

Short Story 3. The Crush

A Chapter by Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)
"

Every child needs a complete family.

"
Short

What an exciting day! I will see him again this morning. I should not be late. I want him to see me at the start of the line, or in front of class. Well, it would be an honor for me if I will be recognized.

“Have you eaten your breakfast?” Mama’s voice is so lovely. She’s a singer at her time but still when she speaks, I can notice the notes in there.

“Yes, Ma. Thank you for being thoughtful. But you see, I’m already done with everything. I am in these clean uniform. I have my packed lunch in my bag. And now I am just waiting for you,” I sweetly said to her as I sway my body like I am dancing in front of her. I used to do it to make her smile.

“Okay, Princess. Let’s go!”

Mama has always been there for me since I am small. I still remember when I am in Grade One, she used to stay outside our room the whole morning just to see that I am okay. She always wanted me to be safe.

Mama has been my father and mother. When there is a school activity which requires a father-daughter team, she would not hesitate to come with me, dressed like a man.

There was a time that I cry because of our situation. Mama is not Papa. But she always said that I don’t need Papa because she can do everything than what my father can do. If I ask her about him, she always answer in a joke that  Papa don’t need a singer. That he was gone searching for a teacher.

What I know about Mama and Papa is limited. She always  answer in a joke, or she would sing my favorite song so that I won’t ask further questions.

“Here we are,” Mama said when she saw the gate of our school. “Call me if you need something,” she added while I am getting out of the car.

“Yes, Ma. Thanks,” a kiss on her cheek is a traditional way of saying goodbye to her.

 

“The  kinds of verb  are…” my teacher’s voice sounds like a music to my ear. For me, it’s more beautiful than Mama’s song. He’s my crush. I love to attend his class. I want to sit in front of class because I wanted to be recognized by him. For me, he’s the most handsome man I’ve ever met. Actually, he is our new English teacher. Our former teacher had gone abroad with her own family for good. He is just a week and a couple of days, and for that he is really fresh for every female student’s imagination.

“How about an example of verb used as a noun? Miss Princess…” he stopped like he is surprised with something written on my class card. “… Aaliyah Caparas?  Aaliyah… Aaliyah Caparas. Is this really your family name…Caparas?” he looks like bothered with my family name. My real name is Princess Aaliyah Caparas  which came after  my mother’s name  Aaliyah Caparas. I used Mama’s surname because she and Papa were not married at all.

I stared at him trying to find something  from his face, as if I can read his mind. But what I can see are those sweats that look like grains appear from his forehead. He’s is really bothered while he is also staring at me. He shook  his head and then got out of the room with an excuse that he will go to the rest room.

I know everyone is also staring at me and they want to ask some questions that also occupy my mind. I don’t know what’s really happening.

The time has moved so fast. I can’t remember what has happened for the day. What I know is my heart is still beating so fast as I remember his eyes. Those eyes… I don’t know what I really feel with those stares. I don’t understand what is wrong with my name.

“You are not supposed to be here!” it’s Mama’s voice. It seems that she is talking to somebody over a controlled voice.

I go near the door to see who is our visitor at the moment, only to be surprised for the second time! It is him, Mr. Castro. “What is he doing here?” I ask to myself while my curiosity arises.

“She’s my child, tell me. It’s been fourteen years…” his voice and eyes are begging, I can feel it!

“Child? I am his child? He is my father!” with great astonishment , I run out of my room towards them.

“I-I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I love you. Please, forgive me,” he said while embracing me tightly.

 


 

I don’t even say a word. I just hugged him tight like I don’t want to lose him once again. I just look at Mama like I am saying “Please, Ma.”

 I know she understands. Whatever problem they have, they must resolve it by themselves. But now, what I want is to hug my Papa.



© 2013 Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

470 Views
Added on February 13, 2013
Last Updated on May 6, 2013
Tags: father, daughter, family, student. teacher, love, crush


Author

Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)
Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)

Philippines



About
Hello! I am Dhaye, a public secondary school teacher, a passionate artist "married" to her dream. I write in different perspectives. So please know NOT all my works are about me. .. more..

Writing