Poem 39. TAKING MY FLIGHT

Poem 39. TAKING MY FLIGHT

A Chapter by Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)
"

in iambic pentameter

"


In front of varied faces of the town

I stood and took a deep breath as I can;

Then grasped the words that wouldn’t make them frown

I spoke with strength to let them know my plans.

 

As they attend to every word I say

I saw myself eleven years away;

A young and conscious girl who likes to play

Some funny things enough to make my day.

 

But now as young adult who realized

Things must be done when I have thought them twice;

The words must be assessed if true or wise

As one must stand with truth and not with lies.

 

When I am done presenting at their sight

I know that I am still taking my flight;

As I’ve gone through along with all my might

For to fly means to balance all my fights.


As one shan't be afraid to do what's right

For everyone, I'll stand to share my light!





Ribbon Cutting of our TVE Fair. I'm the one at the center, holding the ribbon, as I'm the Chairman of the 3-day celebration of our 20th Founding Anniversary.



© 2014 Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)


Author's Note

Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)
After 11 years of teaching, my principal and head teacher trusted me to plan about the coming 20th Founding Anniversary of our school. As the appointed chairman for the said event, a meeting was held and I presented my plans before them. While presenting, I realized how long I have been in the service and how long I’ve gone through…as I take my flight.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"When I was done presenting at their sight
I knew that I’m still taking my flight;"
Good for you on your success. I like the description of the journey and finding your way to the flight for happiness and success. I tell people. Learn from the falls and be content with the good days. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, CP. :)



Reviews

"When I was done presenting at their sight
I knew that I’m still taking my flight;"
Good for you on your success. I like the description of the journey and finding your way to the flight for happiness and success. I tell people. Learn from the falls and be content with the good days. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, CP. :)
Revisiting this inspiring piece of yours one more time . It is one of my favorite. I have printed this and carried it with me on my backpack. Read it on my lunch break and showed it to some of my coworkers . It brought back fond memories from high school and college years . How I fought hard just enough to make through and graduate . And you captured that with the flight of a bird. There are some line here that you wrote that really caught my attention. " As they listen to every word I say; I saw myself eleven years away ". Love this line ... sort of reflective foresight .

Second one is this : " For to fly means to balance all my fights." You described the flight of a bird in just one sentence . From our standpoint its looks so easy for the bird to do it but its not. The bird has to fight hard against gravity, wind velocity and directions, barometric pressures and balance its tail . Same thing a person that walks on a single rope .

You let your thoughts flow out of your mind. Not being concerned about metering and syllables. This is an inspiring poem but at the same time a reflective piece of our past struggles, failures, and triumphs . Well done fellow poet and writer .




Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)

9 Years Ago

Why are you fond of graduation- graduation song, graduation photos? lol.
I'm not referring to .. read more
NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

The concept of your piece is a graduation message. Taking our flight. Trying our wings .
Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)

9 Years Ago

No, that's taking my flight as I try to soar as a teacher. When one is assigned to a heavy or big .. read more
Poignant indeed Ms Dhaye .You have also picked the perfect picture to go with this poem . I can almost taste and smell and feel every words spoken on this poem . I love and enjoyed the last fourth stanza , Its like I could still see myself testing my wings to see if I could have a fair chance to make it in this big wide crazy world . I love the words you choose here . They all rhyme at the end but cleverly placed. Yes it is a fight, for we have to compete in this world to make it where we need to be . Its a struggle in school and we strive and compete to get the best job . I like what you said here ...you wanted to make a stand and draw the line when it comes to your virtues and value ...Its the only thing that is worth carrying and passing around . Its a beautiful poem from a beautiful heart . I will surely come back and read this over and over until I savor every words and thoughts and be a part of me ... What a wonderful God we have to bless and endowed someone like you with a beautiful mind and heart ...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)

10 Years Ago

Wow! I can't thank you enough for this lengthy review from you, Neil. I really appreciate your kind .. read more
This is a very moving poem, dhaye. Your personal growth while in the job is very moving - your have gained in wisdom and insight and are willing to show your true self to those above you. A very strong poem and one I enjoyed reading very much.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the time spent in this piece, Joyce. Glad you enjoyed reading this.
A good climatic, piece which your describe the significance of, very helpfully, I really enjoyed reading this, thanks you dear Dhaye :) xx

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Sheema. :)
Very nice reflective piece, clever and concise...but...okay, I'm just gonna say it 'cause it's my first reaction to the Author's note: 11 years? Teaching since your early teens?

Thanks for sharing

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)

10 Years Ago

Haha! Sorry. Maybe I made a mistake in using the word "girl" there. But I mentioned in my 3rd verse .. read more
Antoñyo

10 Years Ago

LOL It was nothing you said or did not say, it was your pics I've seen that made me question.
read more
Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)

10 Years Ago

I can't read the "read more' there...
I mentioned in my poem ECHO the reason why. Just smile e.. read more
if only it is possible, i would not want to take responsibilities because it entails great sacrifice. hehehe. fly high dhaye! make that 20th founding anniversary worth remembering.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)

10 Years Ago

Thanks, Gab. I am grateful there's an internet where most of my ideas came from- FB & WC friends lik.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

985 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 23, 2013
Last Updated on May 19, 2014
Tags: flight, journey, wings

HEAR MY MIND VOLUME 3


Author

Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)
Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)

Philippines



About
Hello! I am Dhaye, a public secondary school teacher, a passionate artist "married" to her dream. I write in different perspectives. So please know NOT all my works are about me. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..