Holiday Kisses

Holiday Kisses

A Story by Crowley
"

Sometimes Christmas takes some doing....

"

     Breathe… breathe… there are times in your life when you have to think of how to do even that much. Its loss, it’s overwhelming joy, it’s horror, it’s wonder, it’s death, they make it hard to breathe. Deb was gasping now and trying to regain her composure, beads of sweat forming on her brow and neck even though the air was crisp and she could see her breath in steam engine puffs. She peered around the corner of the window sill again to see if what she had looked at a moment ago were real. She jerked back, her head a swirl of dizzying colors, she was going to pass out. She leaned on the side of the house and tried to calm herself. 

     Two hours ago, she was making cookies with her sister Maggie, in from Sarasota, laughing, joking and sharing a glass of wine. She left for the post office in Rapid City to pick up a Christmas gift that was delivered for Mark, her husband of 17 years.  As Deb was slipping to the back of the house to hide the gift in the garden shed, she inadvertently looked in the window and then froze. They were kissing. Not courteous Christmas peck kissing. No, this was full on, tongue in mouth, biting lower lips, hand on rosy, round a*s kissing. She looked at the package, unwrapped laying on the grass, a new shot gun for a Pheasant hunting trip her husband would be taking in February.  While the thought crossed her mind that she should carry it inside and at least scare the bejeezus out of them with it, she thought better and knew that would only come to trouble, lots of trouble and besides, she was not a violent person. The problem was thinking in a moment such as this. What do you do?  Leave? Walk in like nothing is amiss? Walk in and throw a fit?  She was shaking all over.  She took in three deep breaths and picked up the package and went to the front door. Using one hand she smoothed her long jacket and turned the knob, stepping inside. She walked to the living room and there they were standing on the far side of the couch.

     “Deb you’re back,” her sister said nervously. “That didn’t take as long as I expected.”

     Deb dropped her package on the table.

     “Yes, well traffic was light and I wanted to get home to my beautiful family.  Pour me a glass and I’ll make a toast.”

     Mark scrambled and grabbed her wine glass from the coffee table and refilled it. He handed it to her and gave her a peck on the cheek.  It turned her stomach, but she did her best not to let on. She raised her glass and the other two raised theirs in turn.

     “ To love and grace,” she said.

     “To love and grace,” they replied.

     “To new beginnings,” she smiled.

     “New beginnings,” they repeated.

     She turned and picked up the shotgun, still in the box and handed it to her husband. 

    “I got you this for Christmas dear, for your hunting trip. But, I did not realize that the hunting trip was already past.” She chuckled.

     “I don’t leave for another two months,” he said, puzzled.

     “Really?  My bad, I thought I spotted a little pheasant pecking at you here in the living room a few minutes back through the window.” She pointed at the living room window.

     He stared in disbelief, red flushing over his face, while her sister’s cheeks drained to the color of putrefied egg nog.  Deb raised her glass again.

     “To new beginnings in Sarasota Florida she said,” tears were starting to form in her eyes, but her face still beamed with confidence.”

    Mark and Maggie stood in stunned silence.

     “Maggie, be sure and get some preparation H for the trip home. Driving across the country in a moving truck is bound to inflame his hemorrhoids something fierce.” She turned and strode to the front door.

     “Oh and mark, please don’t forget to pack your computer stuff and take it with you, wouldn’t want  any of the questionable teen site pornography getting me into trouble. Plus I’m sure Maggie would like to have a gander and find out what you are reeeaaaally into.”

     Deb pulled from the driveway with two thoughts on her mind.  Where the hell would she find a place to stay on Christmas Eve and what color would she paint the den when she made it into her beading sanctuary. She started crying and  singing to herself.

     “Baby its cold outside…..”

© 2019 Crowley


Author's Note

Crowley
I wish that I could be as composed as that when something terrible happened to me....

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Faith restoring this is....

Posted 4 Years Ago


Your author's note is very much like what I was thinking as I ended this! I was amazed that you went from being tenderly empathic early in this story, to being vindictively satisfying toward the end . . . quite a pathway of emotions you weave! Sheesh! The actual life snippet is pretty ordinary & well-used for many storylines. What makes this pop is just YOU -- your style, your keen sense of getting inside people's heads & motives, & delivering that so realistically yet flippantly! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


I really enjoyed this story of yours, so nicely written and lots of detail.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Crowley

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the review. Hope your New Year off to a great start.
Your right Cee, I need holiday kisses....but not these kind:)

Posted 5 Years Ago


That is one of them situations where ya wouldn't want to be a fly on the wall... a great write we got here Crowley.. I seriously enjoy the comfortable style and flow you can adopt when the fancy takes you....N

Posted 5 Years Ago


Crowley

5 Years Ago

Thanks Neville, I need to take my time a little more. I’m a twenty minutes and done kinda guy. Nee.. read more
Neville

5 Years Ago

you do just fine mate.. sorry for the delay.. I been away.... N
For all our survival instincts, that let mothers lift cars if their child is in danger and look down the mightiest foe, it's amazing how the inability to breathe becomes a default when shock overwhelms.
They get to live another day, while your heart crumbles to dust at the deceit. I don't think anyne would have nlamed you if the ending had went Tarantino-esque, vengeance best served cold and all :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


Crowley

5 Years Ago

I thought about, but didn’t have it in me...lol. Thanks for the review friend!!!
Beautiful, heartbreaking story. Great work! I could feel the character's pain which means a great author behind the story!


Posted 5 Years Ago


Crowley

5 Years Ago

Thanks so much for reading, I really appreciate it!
I, thank god, have never walked in...Im not sure how I would respond in that situation. definitely, something to think about!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Crowley

5 Years Ago

Yeah, me either but it happens.
I loved this story. Some stories need happy ending. I liked the places, conversation and the ending. Thank you my friend for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


Crowley

5 Years Ago

Thank you my friend!!!
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

You are welcome my friend.
I'm thinking what's good for the goose is certainly good for the gander. In my book that means she is owed a really decent snog. Maybe her husband has a dishy brother she could take advantage of. Seriously though, what a bloomin predicament to find yourself in. Cringe worthy comes to mind. Calls for calm thinking. Act in haste repent at leisure. It needs thinking through before going berserk. Good read Crowley.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


Crowley

5 Years Ago

Thanks Christine...I pictured Olivia Colman as Deb...I just love her in all the BBC shows...lol.
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

What an excellent choice for leading lady. A touch of class you have there :))

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

360 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 28, 2018
Last Updated on March 6, 2019

Author

Crowley
Crowley

Phoenix, AZ



About
Like to hang out with other writers and see what's what. Have met a lot of good people on this and other sites through the years. Decided to come back and do a little posting and reading. Hit me up i.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Instead Instead

A Poem by Fran Marie


Long after... Long after...

A Poem by Gee