On the Square

On the Square

A Poem by Crowley
"

See you there!

"

Covington square was a place of  social worship

People gathered there to integrate with the cityscape and each other

Being a part of the anthill social structure, giving relevance, weaving reality
Dressing up a nowhere existence with paper doll clothes and drag queen wigs

By the light of day, the square was measured, professional

The place where folks would pretend to be important, irreplaceable
By the night, the same people came to spin, coalesce, slink, shine
There are things that soften in the dark, masks off, skin showing

 

Twice during the down times, the square was off limits
But the energy of a place does not dissipate, it builds

Calling those that pretend and those that do not, to fight back 
And take what is due, the square needs life, we need the square

© 2019 Crowley


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Are we talking Karaoke anyone? LOL always my laughter in the dark hall you are Cee!

Posted 4 Years Ago


Certain places and time and spaces will remain unchanged forever- time may pass years may come and go but what one knows will remain change is unstoppable but memories stand still- people need to support and listen coming together in peace and harmony more- building not breaking- nice thoughts and words🌹

Posted 4 Years Ago


'the energy of a place does not dissipate, it builds'
That line in your fabulous poem really resonated. You took me back to my Westcroft Square, where I lived in London until I was eight. Both sets of grandparents lived five doors apart. The square had an air raid shelter built in its midst during the war. I never saw that, but I heard all the stories. I knew all the ghosts. All my friends lived there. I played hop scotch on the pavement. The rag and bone man called with his horse and cart. The coal man. That square was the hub of life and death, and still is. I went back there recently and sat in the gardens with my sandwich and flask. All around, the signs of wealth. The place, really upmarket, too expensive for me by far. Different people, yet the ghosts of the past are still there, together with all the new vibrancy, flash cars and todays technology.. Thank you for taking me on that journey.

Chris



Posted 4 Years Ago


Crowley

4 Years Ago

My pleasure, thanks for coming and seeing. I have places, not on a square really, that I go to often.. read more
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Observation is key when you are a poet. What a great observer of life you are Crowley.
The pulse of a place has a life all its own, and it can seem strange when a place has a split personality (from day to night) just like many of its patrons. 

Posted 4 Years Ago


Crowley

4 Years Ago

Indeed, I love that pulse. Thanks Cherrie!!!
Wow you just made a ghost in three stanzas!!!!!! I love the spirits you just conjured of the manifestations of the throngs that gather in that spot of a-semblance. You have a way with observations Mr Crowley and a distinct voice to paint them with that I always enjoy:)

Posted 4 Years Ago


Crowley

4 Years Ago

Ha!!! I hope they are good honest ghosts...lol, don't want to scare anyone. Thanks BB I love people.. read more
Robert Trakofler

4 Years Ago

I kinda want to visit it now
I have no idea where this is but I swear I have seen it in London, in Glasgow, in Leicester. The nature of humans often plays out in public places and of course like the seasons and day and night these places alter their personalities depending upon the way the stage is dressed. This one made me think.

Posted 4 Years Ago


John Alexander McFadyen

4 Years Ago

2101 Washington St SW, Covington, GA 30014, USA-Good guess!
Crowley

4 Years Ago

We should all meet there for cocktails...lol.
Crowley

4 Years Ago

May not be too many drag queens in Georgia though...
I went to Covington Square the other day . . . late in the afternoon . . . all seemed as it should be . . . respectable . . . courtly . . . . dignified (except for the guy sleeping on the bench under a few layers of newsprint . . . .seemed out of place in the heat of day . . . but of course . . . he was afraid someone else would take his papers and he would suffer the night all the more.) Ah . . . the "public square" where the minds of men talk of great things . . . the burdens of business . . . the weight laid on the shoulders of important people . . . the enthusiasm of vanity!!!!
I decided to wait for this nightlife you speak of my dear Crowley. Indeed, the masks did come off . . . As the evening crouched just outside it's gate I already sensed an expectancy, a moment of transformation . . . perhaps the world was tired of its old ways, its weary perambulating around old ideas. I anticipated a rebirth of life . . . Ah . . . but I was wrong, Crowley. Are you sure your experience was a fruitful one!?
Behind the masks lived the most horrible faces of men and women . . . I saw there the costumes only slightly altered . . . but the faces revealed a wretchedness I cannot describe adequately. Pale, ghostly in the small light of the square . . . as Elliot wrote. "Hollow Men!" I returned to my apartments only to grow even more anxious . . . the brandy did not soothe my agitated mind. I turned to my library for perhaps some explanation for what I had seen . . . no, nothing could explain this awful scene. It was then I went to my toilet to refresh myself, and . . . Crowley, my dear friend, I was most shocked to see myself as I saw those others!!! For all that I thought I was . . . I too must be pitied! For I am one of multitudes who ventures into the strange realms of Covington Square. I say old boy . . . do you think you could meet me at the club for a few drinks? Tonight I need the company of other mad men.
Tom

Posted 4 Years Ago


Crowley

4 Years Ago

Hey Margie!!!! Bring it on Tom!!
kentuck14

4 Years Ago

You bet my poet friend
kentuck14

4 Years Ago

Big C,
I have posted a poem in connection with "ON the Square." Hope you approve and enjoy . .. read more
This poem drips with righteous cynicism. You call out the phonies and the posers, and a few others, too. Yes, the “square” needs life because without it culture and the culturally confident cannot survive. I think every community has a “Covington Square.”

A unique poem with a fresh and genuine attitude. Well done!

Posted 4 Years Ago


Crowley

4 Years Ago

Thanks for the awesome review!! I appreciate it!!
I intend to Google Covington Square, but in the meantime, shall take your every word as gospel... sounds like it may be under threat, it also sounds like the place to be ... long live the square.... Neville

Posted 4 Years Ago


Crowley

4 Years Ago

I just made up that name...lol. Maybe there really is one! Thanks my friend.
Neville

4 Years Ago

there is begorrah....

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

341 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 25, 2019
Last Updated on May 28, 2019

Author

Crowley
Crowley

Phoenix, AZ



About
Like to hang out with other writers and see what's what. Have met a lot of good people on this and other sites through the years. Decided to come back and do a little posting and reading. Hit me up i.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


When I Call When I Call

A Poem by Crowley


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic