Medea- Rise Above 1

Medea- Rise Above 1

A Chapter by Plagued Monumentally
"

Title was inspired by bono. <3

"
"Medea, get your a*s down here, you're going to be late!" Valerius voice boomed. 
"Don't you mean you're going to make me late? I've been waiting 10 minutes for you." She mumbled under her breath before grabbing her bag and making her way down to the door.
"Sorry," she looked at him and saw that he has dark circles around his eyes. His skin looked so pale that there was almost no color in his face. The bottles in his room and his horrible appearance made for a hangover.
"Just get in the car," he opened the door and went out first, leaving Medea to lock up herself.

I feel like our world's been infected, and somehow you left me neglected. We've found our lives been changed. You lost me.
The lyrics were hanging in the air throughout the whole car ride to Callingwood High School. She peered over at her father a couple times, just to see what his expression was. 
He looked pissed off and tired. 
Medea really didn't know what the big deal was. He hardly ever drove her to school, and when he did, he would make a huge fuss over it. She was on her own at home and at school. At home she had her alcoholic father who never paid attention to her, and at school she two close friends that didn't know what was going on at home- Cassandra and Devyn. The only two people that tell her all their problems going on in their lives, yet they didn't know the biggest problem in hers. 
Medea could hear the bell ringing from the distance, meaning that they were close. 
"Damnit," Medea said under her breath, hoping her father wouldn't hear her. She stole a sideways glance at him.
Nope, he didn't, thank God.
Valerius sped up a bit, but not overly too much. He looked like he was deep in thought, and he was never a huge fan of talking.
How Medea missed her mother. 
Her mother died in a car crash when she was 13, and now shes 16. Medea's mother, Susan, was driving home from a stressful day at work when her Bluetooth went off. It only took a split second for her mind to become focused on the conversation, she didn't see the car that hit her. 
Tears welled up in Medea's eyes, but before she could brush them away, they came to a full stop in front of the school. She quickly wiped them away, gave her father a light-hearted smile and got out of the car.
Medea didn't think she could last another 30 seconds with him, so she was thankful she got there when she did. 
Running up the pathway to the school was harder than it looked. She was sweating a little by the time she got to the front doors. 
But she made it.
She opened the doors and sped walk towards her locker that she knew she had since the middle of August.
9 34 52 she repeated in her head over and over until she got to her locker. She quickly opened it and stuffed her stuff inside. 
Pulling out her small binder, pencil case and textbooks she received a couple days ago, she quickly shut her locker and sped walked to class.


"I expect you all to work your hardest this year. You have no idea how important your marks are throughout high school. I know you might have an important social life, but is chatting and gossiping going to help you succeed later on in life?" Mr. Berry scanned the classroom to see students shake their head. 
Medea, on the other hand, was sitting in class, doodling on a blank piece of paper. Who the hell knew what Medea was drawing, anyways, she didn't even know.
"No? Exactly. So think about your future the next time you blow off your homework to go to a party, your friends or boyfriends house or to the mall to get the 'hip' look." 
Everybody in the class giggled except for a few people. The girl in the back of the classroom near the window raised her hand and gave Mr. Berry a scowl. 
"Yes, Elodie?" Mr. Berry said to her. 
Medea turned around to be welcomed with a girl who had long straight black hair that hung by her hips, blue eyes that looked at everyone in the classroom, sun kissed skin that made her full lips stand out. 
"I'm not sure teachers should be saying anything along the lines of 'hip' or 'swag' or anything else. They lost that chance 15 years ago." When she spoke, she spoke with no emotion in her voice, not even anger.
Medea laughed, and all the other kids laughed nervously. Something about that girl Medea really liked. 
Elodie looked over at Medea and she nodded, Medea returned it with a full smile, something she hasn't given anyone in a long time. 
Medea turned back towards the teacher, who's face was a little pink. But that didn't stop him from starting up again.
"Thank you Elodie, you've gotten yourself a detention slip where you can hear me saying all the swaggalicious kids are saying these days." 
The class roared in laughter. 
Medea and Elodie just stared at Mr. Berry with no amusement in their faces. At least the two of them share the same humor.


© 2011 Plagued Monumentally


Author's Note

Plagued Monumentally
To me the lyrics in this story makes up who the characters are. For example, Medea is into the soft and gentle music, much like her personality. But she has a firey side to her as well. Kyero is into the heavy metal stuff, so he has a short temper. And Brina would probably be into the Britney Spears and Kesha stuff, mostly because her personality is manipulative and daring. So when you see the lyrics, you should really pay attention to them. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Swaggalicious.... wow...
You always choose such unique names for your stories..
That was interesting

Posted 12 Years Ago


I really liked this chapter. You are doing a great job of developing her character.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh, shut up Elodie. Sorry, she pissed me off. Now you've explained the lyrics motif, I rather like it, I just hated them cropping up all the time as though it was the author's personal invasion on the piece. School scenes always seem so contrived to me, but this one was done well.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I know you are trying to introduce all the characters, but it isn't really holding my attention. I think at the same time you need more of a story line. To tell the truth, I read some of it and was a bit bored.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Elodie!!!! :D You forgot to add her into your character summary btw

Posted 12 Years Ago


This chapter was probably the best built. There are a not too many characters being thrown at us, but they aren't fully developed so it can be irritating at times. Once again, do a quick reread of your work to squeeze out the last errors. Nice write.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love how the music they listen to reflects their actual personalities. Nice job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Yes, music desplays a lot about someone's personality. What does that say about me...? *is scared* Well done! WRITE MORE. NOW.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Your story becomes more intriguing as it goes, anxious for more. Nice job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Try the following for effect:

1. Don't be judgemental - Instead of alcoholic father, say, ' with breath that always reeked of alcohol.' Readers may not like judgemental comments.

2. Make the point where its important - In the sheer difficulty she experienced in her father's presence, you should say a little about her change in mood when she left the car. It would be significant.

3. Make your heroine feel good about herself - The reader needs to identify with that to keep up their interest. Instead of feeling ' sweaty ' after the run, you could say, ' she felt invigorated'. After all, she was running away from the car with her father in it.


Your story has a nice pace about it and speaks of your involvement in the story very well. Keep going.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

515 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 5, 2011
Last Updated on August 5, 2011


Author

Plagued Monumentally
Plagued Monumentally

MS



About
So it's been a couple years since I've been on this site, and lots has changed. Most of my writing is between two to three years difference to the stuff I'm writing now. Please pay attention to the di.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A View on Life A View on Life

A Poem by Thea