Raven's meal

Raven's meal

A Story by hexylia
"

a raven finds a free meal, short scene.

"

 

A Raven soared overhead, lead to this damned place by the sweet scent of death and decay drifting through the air. Its glide circled continuously, only interrupted by the occasional beat of two powerful wings. Empty eyes watched from below, unable to look away, some obscured by a visor meant to protect, or another body, others just blankly staring into the heavens. The dark shadow began to descend, sleek feathers and talons glistening as the sun hit them in a different way, a sun that’s shine could not brighten this day. It landed atop of a spear protruding from one body or another; it looked around with far seeing eyes before hopping down to the occupant of the spear with a flutter of feathers. It strutted over the body to a blank empty stare, looking for a sign of life that was long gone before striking swiftly with a powerful beak. How lucky for a bird to find a free meal.
 
One painful rasping breath at a time, that’s all he focused on, he tried to block out the other pain from his legs, from his arms, from his everywhere; there was no time for that pain, he was too busy gasping for air, too busy grasping at life. Even so, he begged for death while laying there among the other dead and dying souls, he begged for the darkness to claim him, to consume him, releasing him from the pain, and yet he fought off the darkness countless times, refusing to succumb to its demons. While laying face up with his eyes closed, not wanting to look up to a place he may very well soon be, a place which had many blank empty eyes staring at it already, he prayed to every god he had ever heard a prayer uttered to for mercy, in what ever form it my take, for himself and those around him. He heard the groans of the few like him, who were not free of this world yet, who still suffered. Slowly one by one those groans faded till he heard but only one: his own. But slowly his groans grew softer ands his aces dulled, his eyes opened with hope in them, his head turned to see a sight only produced by death, a black raven finding a meal of his neighbor, the eyes gone but still crying blood.

© 2008 hexylia


Author's Note

hexylia
help with sentence structure greatly appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
Added on October 2, 2008
Last Updated on October 2, 2008

Author

hexylia
hexylia

my own world, TX



About
im 15 and i write on and off depending on my mood i also have a heavy hmwk load so hopefuly that'll go down soon. if your wonderign "hmmm, what does she want reviewed the most?" currently its 'morning.. more..

Writing
Friends Friends

A Story by hexylia


morning morning

A Story by hexylia