Fly TRAP!

Fly TRAP!

A Poem by Muse
"

My garden would be beautiful, but not complete, not without something a little out of order...like a venus fly trap, the carrion flower, some opium.

"

 

 

 

 

 

I think your Alice forgot to tell you about me.
This garden of hers is not what it appears to be.
Surrounded by roses and the sweet humming bees.
My stems perk and tickle because I know you see me.

 



Thirsty; I open my buds to receive the fresh rain.
Hungry; you prick a ring finger and flinch in brief pain.
I feed....you smile, in knowing I can never be tamed.
Your lips whisper out, "Grow, and take these flies for fresh game."

 



All this affection, I thought Alice would be jealous.
Attentive with a love that seemed secret and zealous.

Keeping me safe, guarding me with a golden trellis.
I am your Venus fly trap, hungry, bold and luscious.

 

 

 

© 2014 Muse


Author's Note

Muse
Photobucket



My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A pearl in an oyster is not there by mistake. It may wonder about its creation as an irritation or it can see itself for the beauty of symmetry and the inspiration it creates in the eye of the beholder.

The fly trap doesn't put out a signboard about danger ahead. But of course if it gets self conscious ... . Tantalizing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love this , it is written very well. I also love Venus fly trap plants. They are truly fascinating! They sell little bitty ones in the stores. I have always wanted one , but never managed to end up getting one.

Your words flow smoothly together and I like the rhyming of your poem. Well done. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Only you can make something sometimes sinister seem so damn beautiful! Gorgeous! Surreal and flows with ease, wonderful ♥

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The ring is not complete without the jewel. And I see the inverse here, the flytrap is the oddball offset by the beautiful around it. That's my take.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

what a transition in styles...I love the new freer you! Laury

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Muse

10 Years Ago

glad you enjoyed it. It was so much fun to write.
My kids had a venus fly trap. What a viscous little thing! They went on to have a pitcher plant, too. Flesh eating plants made my kids so happy. I wonder, should I have been worried? Ha! I agree, the average garden is so boring. I like the thought of little barbs planted throughout the daisies. Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Muse

10 Years Ago

I want one...really I do! :))
Angi

10 Years Ago

We found them at our local gardening center. Not a chain, more of a mom and pop place. You should .. read more
Muse

10 Years Ago

My kids are morbid like I am...they would get a kick out of it.
The the invocation of Alice in this one...indeed, the garden of her "musings in Wonderland" comes alive in your lines. I agree, my garden in not complete without the addition of something a little "off color" or "out of place", fore that is where beauty truly lives. Thorns are beautiful, if not dangerous... Danger is beautiful. Well done and thought provoking...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Muse

10 Years Ago

I agree...I find the common every day garden to be boring. Why not add something interesting?
Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

10 Years Ago

My sentiments exactly :)
Beauty can sometimes be deceptive, but finds its niche among the other flowers... There is room for all!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There is something so compelling about this poem. Perhaps it is that theme - a predator among the gentle harmless flowers. That lurking thrill. Not only are we drawn to a little danger - perhaps we who write are a bit dangerous.
On a lighter note, I find flytraps fascinating. And this was a wonderful poem, in awe of that last part - rhyming zealous, jealous and trellis NIIIICE.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this. Stopped in and waited a while listening to "Tom's diner". After a first choice, now I will need to try some more.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Muse

10 Years Ago

Ha ha Tom's Diner...I'm a 90's chick what can I say, I like the old alternative stuff.
Ah the venus fly trap.....the adventurous, seductive attracter of all adventurous souls....I like this poem, as it reflects the adventurous side of us human beings,.....suggesting erotica, freedom, and fun!
A great write...:)
From the first line...." I think your Alice forgot to tell you about me...."....to the final line....:)
BB

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Muse

10 Years Ago

thank you, your review means a lot.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

4133 Views
94 Reviews
Shelved in 12 Libraries
Added on January 27, 2013
Last Updated on June 8, 2014


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Caged Heart Caged Heart

A Poem by MOON


Choke me Choke me

A Poem by Muse


Sugar and Sun Sugar and Sun

A Poem by Muse