She still doesn't understand the thank you.

She still doesn't understand the thank you.

A Story by highwalls

   Just remember, when it's night, to look at the stars and think of me. Remember to never forget. 

             "The weather is beautiful. You would have liked it. Nothing compared to those hot boiling summers you would always complain about," the last part came out in a low chuckle. Being here, talking to a soul that felt almost completely gone, it didn't feel right. She wasn't supposed to talk to her in a graveyard, next to an uncountable amount of graves and rotting bodies. No. They were supposed to be at the library, choosing books for each other like every Monday, competing about who would finish by the end of the week. "November was always your favorite month, but its never been this nice here in town. You would have really loved it..." She  hadn't cried at the funeral. She hadn't cried when she was alone at night. But now, seeing her grave, with the light breeze pushing the leaves along, and the beautiful weather bringing fragments of her life back, it all seemed to come together to make tears come to her eyes. She sat down and whispered, "I miss you."

I don't know you, but you seem sad. It's okay to not talk about it, but maybe some company will make you feel better. I'll just sit here next to you, okay? Talking or no talking, you're not alone.

        
          He always thought it was funny, that a person so broken could help so many people. At her funeral everyone cried, except the girl who you could say was like her sister. So many people she had known briefly. He had heard about some of them. One was the girl who thought she was too ugly to ever be liked. Another one was the boy who felt he was worthless. So many people. Not life long friends, but simply brief bonds. She had entered their lives for such short amount of time, but in that moment she found a way to crawl into their hearts and make them warm again. She was just a girl, a girl like any other at first sight, but then you got to know her, it was like your world started shining in new colors. Unforgettable, unimaginable colors. "You said I wouldn't be alone, and if that is so then why do I feel this emptiness? This void?" He asked himself in between sobs. He was destruction, and she came into his life, not wanting to fix him, but to let him know destruction wasn't all that bad if you didn't let it overcome you. He would later find out that she wasn't the happy bubble everyone knew, but that she was also broken. Maybe that's when he knew he was in love with her. When she let him know he wasn't alone.

I just think that it is useless to have my sadness dragging behind me for everyone to see. There are plenty sad people in the world, why add one more? It's pointless.

       Her parents loved her dearly. Her two sisters looked up to her with bright eyes. They never once saw her cry out of sadness, but instead was the one to comfort them when the sadness reached them. "I don't think I'll ever stop missing her, honey. She was a part of me, of you, of her sisters. What will we do without her?" Her mother crumbled to the ground her hands on her face, tears flowing sadly down her face. Her father kneeled in front of her, embracing her tightly. "I don't know. And I don't think any one of us will ever stop missing her. But we have to be strong, because we have two young girls to raise. We should be proud of her, and of us. We did a great job raising our girl." He said, small tears streaming down his face. "No. We should only be proud of her. She was too kind to us, never wanting to bother. She would never once tell us she was sad or down. She sincerely believed it didn't make sense." She took a deep breath and finished, "The bad things always touch to good ones. Our little girl was too good."

It's okay, guys. Let's just make this time precious. Why sulk around, when I can make memories to take with me?

      They all remember when she came back from the hospital. Despite how fragile and breakable she looked, she never once stopped smiling. They remember her soft voice when she said she didn't want to die in the hospital, but at home with her family, related or not. Her room was always full. He never left her side, and neither did she. Her parents always looked after her, her sisters came in with drawings for her. The nightstand was full of letters from her classmates. Mostly thank you's. She read every one of them, and would later cry in his arms saying that they were too nice or she didn't really do anything. But he knew that was the least they could do, because she did a lot more for them. "Thank you," was what everyone would say. She never really understood what they meant. The night before, they all found her crying. They could not believe their eyes. They set themselves around her and cried along, and the things she told them made them even sadder. This human being, that was going through hardships of her own, that was mistreated by cruel people, that sincerely believed that sharing her sadness was not fair for other people, would also make you feel worthy, and that you belong, and showed that she cared, was finally breaking down. They all sat around her and held her, comforting her like she had countlessly comforted them. The silence felt nice, because it was understanding. No one could believe the world would take away such precious human being.

 You guys always thank me, but now I thank you. Thank you for holding me now. I only did it for you all, because I love you too much to ever make you sad with my own sadness. Please, when I leave, don't be sad. I feel happy. I got to live with people like you. That's got to be worth something, right?


       

© 2016 highwalls


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

296 Views
Added on December 22, 2016
Last Updated on December 22, 2016

Author

highwalls
highwalls

CA



About
Life...what a funny thing. more..

Writing
Until Now Until Now

A Story by highwalls


Fallen Angel Fallen Angel

A Story by highwalls