An unexpected move

An unexpected move

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

An excerpt of the book 'The remote control'.

"

 

Almost four hours later they were sitting in a restaurant, at Sherbrook Av. having a late dinner. They sat at a corner table facing each other rather secluded, away from the rest of the guests that happened to be there at that hour.

They ate their food without a single word exchanged between them. Nicole seemed to him a bit worried. He could not understand why, they have enjoyed such an incredible bliss together just a short while ago, was she simply tired? Or did some professional issue trouble her?

The carnal reminiscences blurred his thoughts. Thus, he was sipping his wine absentmindedly, taking pains to keep his mouth shut. He did not dare to ask Nicole what the matter was. He knew he had better wait and learn directly or indirectly, out of her next move what bothered her.

He had his share of experience down there, at the villa and although the circumstances were drastically changed, incomparable to their past relationship; still she could fling her fangs at him from time to time. She seemed to be in such a mood right at that moment, and it started to get on his nerves.                        

'Listen Nick,' she said in a rather low voice. 'There's something I want you to do, a small task.' She added keeping an eye on the waiters, who were some distance off, out of earshot at that certain moment.

The restaurant was almost empty, as the time was ten forty five and most people were having their fun in some other joints at that late hour.         

'What is it now? We haven't done with our dinner yet.' He complained mildly.

'Yeah I know, won't you listen to me?' She retorted without the slightest change of expression. 'I'm going to pass you a money belt at the other side, below the table's surface, near the wall. Get hold of it and tuck it with care under your jacket wing, so that nobody might see it.' That is what she did right away, bending forward and handing him a folded linen belt on the other side below the table's surface.

'What? I didn't see you putting it on back home, why, what's all that secrecy for?'    

'I’ll tell you later on Nickie, but right now keep it there with much care.' She went on as he did tuck it neatly beneath his jacket. 'Go to the restroom, shut yourself in one of the cabins, and tie it round your waist, make sure it won't protrude in any conspicuous way.

Getting to the restroom did not pose any special problems for it was quite close and no one was in his way, and no one was in there while he entered it. Nick shut himself in the nearest cabin and weighed curiously the folded belt in his hand.

Must be some damn exercise no doubt, but what is she checking for Christ's sake? He wondered perplexed. If it’s an exercise that belt is stuffed with plain paper, newspaper clips... He told himself opening one of the belt's pockets.

Good God, it's real money! Plenty of Green backs! What's that supposed to be? Is she checking my reliability, or are they, whoever they might be checking me...? Better leave it as it is! He warned himself excited, while he undressed and tied it round his waist.

As he was coming out of the restroom, walking toward their table, Nicole scrutinized him all the way without a word.

'Well done Nick.' She said smiling as if she was just happy to see him back.

'What's on your mind now? Is that all?' He asked a bit disturbed with the whole business.                               

'We have got to act real fast!' She said and kept on smiling as if they were discussing the movie they have just seen together. 'We'll leave the place shortly in a cab to the Queen Elizabet Hotel, there's a dancing hall over there. That's our excuse but I'll drop you at the ‘Gare Central’. You'll get there right in time to board the train to Toronto, there you'll switch to the Chicago line and reach at the end its airport, I forgot its name.' She noted and waited for his reaction.

'It’s O'hare International. But what has happened... Aren’t you coming with me?'

'Shut up and listen, got it? Oh yes thanks, O'hare that's it. Okay when you'll get there some fifteen hours from now; get yourself a seat in the best restaurant over there. I don't know the place and I'll have to find you. That’s why I want you to wait for me in the greatest and best restaurant, which that airport has and let’s hope there’s only one restaurant over there.' She stopped abruptly as both of them could see their waiter carrying their last dishes, approaching.  

                                                                   

‘Do you know the place, have ever been there?’ She asked knitting her brows.

'No, I’ve never been there…’ Something must be wrong, something terribly bad must have happened. He thought watching her a bit worried.

‘Okay but when would you be there on what time and how long do I've to wait?' He hastened to ask as soon as the waiter left them, ignoring the tasty dish before him. The whole plan seemed so utterly fantastic, or rather so out of place; he could not grasp what it was all about. But again he knew he had better listen and obey and sooner or later he would know what the real problem is.

'That’s the thing you should ask Nick. That's what I've expected to hear from you. All right, be there from three pm, to five pm, I'll find you. Now then, eat up and let's go.' 

 

© Haim Kadman 1991 " all rights resrved. 

                   

 

© 2012 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1006 Views
Added on December 5, 2012
Last Updated on December 5, 2012
Tags: restaurant, dinner, meeting, dialogue, explanation, rush

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman