The treason

The treason

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

An excerpt of my book "On both sides of the abyss"

"

"On Both Sides of the Abyss"

An excerpt

At a quarter to five pm Abdul Karim collected the top secret documents on his desk and went over to his safe to store them, as he was crouched before the open safe his office door was opened up suddenly and Rashid brandishing a Colt forty five in his extended forward hand entered, accompanied by two young men carrying sub machine guns in their hands.

'You're under arrest Abdul Karim!' He declared to his astounded boss.

Abdul Karim stood up and moved forward with a raised hand, ready to slap his deputy's face.

Rashid pulled the trigger and a forty five bullet pierced Abdul Karim's heart. He stood like a statue for a short second with an open mouth, watching his deputy with disbelief and hit the floor with a loud thump.

'He resisted arrest you witnessed it.' Rashid told the two young men. 'Search the office and get rid of his body and don't forget to clean up the mess.' He ordered them and went out.

Nour consulted her wrist watch to realize that the time was six thirty seven and Abdul Karim has not come yet. She decided to phone her contact, to inform him that she started the inspections of Damascus ancient city, as she forgot to phone him yesterday night, after she received his confirmation she decided to pass the time till Abdul Karim would arrive sending a Morse code message with her Morse transmitter. She took out her jewelry box from the lower drawer in the living room chest of drawers, put it on the low table and pulled out the Morse transmitter beneath her pearl necklace and the two golden bracelets. She arranged and prepared her Morse transmitter for action, and brought her pad and a pen. She thought a few seconds to form up the message in her mind, wrote it down and coded it into Morse code lines and points, When the message was ready she pushed the pad aside and started to send her message slowly at the speed, which she had acquired in her training.

The front door was bust up with a loud noise and two men rushed in suddenly.

'Caught her red handed!' One of them exclaimed to someone behind that came in with a ready camera. 'Don't you dare to move!' He shouted at Nour, while the camera man was shooting her pictures. 'Come on in!' the talkative one called out to a second pair of men that waited outside. 'We're taking her down, search her apartment.'

Nour was shocked and watched with bulging eyes the strangers that barged into her life tearing down all the barriers of defense, which she was sure that protected her. Another minute passed and her hands were cuffed behind her back, and she was led down to a parked van.

In a twenty minutes ride they reached the Al Maza jail, to which she was brought and the two that accompanied her dictated the warden on duty her personal details, as she was not able to utter a single word.

'Her name is Amina Rifa'ee alias Nour Ramzi, age twenty four, single.' And right afterwards she was shut alone in a dark and narrow cell. She could not sleep and was lying wide awake on the narrow uncomfortable bed till four am. She could not grasp what went wrong and where is Abdul Karim, and what could happen to him the head of the internal security service.

The next morning a plate with some kind of porridge was pushed beneath the door of her cell. She did not touch it; she was not hungry or thirsty and did not leave the bed till she was forced to. She was taken into a downstairs interrogation cell where a familiar face waited for her behind a rectangular desk. It the same cell and the same interrogator that she faced almost three years earlier, when she was abducted by these organization members from her hideout apartment in Beirut.

They made her sit opposite him and left them alone.

Rashid pulled a sheet of paper from the desk drawer and put it before her.

'Read it! He ordered her.

'Does Abdul Karim know that I've been arrested?' She asked in a shaky voice.

'Abdul Karim the traitor is dead, read it!'

The words were dancing before her eyes; she had to shut her eyes with all the force that remained in her exhausted body and open her eyes again to be able to read the document.

Nothing was said about the relationship she and Abdul Karim had, just that she served the Mossad and betrayed her own country.

'Sign it! He ordered her as she raised her eyes watching his face with a dumbfounded stare.

'But I served my country…' She protested with a whine hardly audible.

He slapped her cheek, and shouted: "sign it!'

Tears were streaming down her cheeks.

She signed it and was taken back to her cell, she lay crying bitterly on her bed till she fell asleep. At midnight after the last round of the guards, she tore with her teeth a broad piece out of the length of her mat cover, rolled it into a rope; with her last resources of energy she pushed her bed to the wall with the small window, clambered upon the bed and stood on it to tie the rope on the upper small window bars, and the loop she made round her neck. She stopped still a few seconds, thinking of her parents, on Ken, and jumped to her death.

The next morning when Rashid was informed on her death he could not hide a smile of satisfaction. It worked all right she did what I wished her to do. He thought rather pleased.

'She saved us time and expenses, bury her.'

'Should we inform her family on her death?' He was asked by one of his inferiors.

'No, just send a message about her death to the Defense Ministry; let the Defense Ministry spokesman inform her family not us.' The internal security service new head summed the matter up with indifference.

© Haim Kadman February 2014 " all rights reserved.

 

"On Both Sides of the Abyss"

Synopsis

Amina Rifa'ee a young Syrian woman of a respectful Syrian family refuses to marry her father's business associate. She is sent to London to study at the London School of Economy. At her fourth year of studies she meets Murad that persuades her to move to his place and live with him, without marriage. After hardly one year Murad introduces her to his "friend" Kenneth Collins a CIA agent, an extremely good looking man, and she fall in love with the American, which serves as a press attaché at the Beirut American embassy. Ken takes her to Beirut Lebanon, to train her as an agent.

She is identified by one of her ex fiancé's relatives is kidnapped by the Syrian intelligence service to Damascus; where instead of being put to death she agrees to serve as a double agent, and is returned to her hideout Beirut apartment after thirty six hour at the Al-Maza jail in Damascus. She is torn between her love to Ken and her loyalty to Abdul Karim the head of the Syrian internal security service, and her loyalty to her country.

62 chapters

148 pages

75,762 words

www.amazon.com ... › Genre Fiction  Action & Adventure

© 2014 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

596 Views
Added on February 9, 2014
Last Updated on February 9, 2014
Tags: suspense, intelligence, action, espionage, adventure, love

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman