An unexpected turn of events

An unexpected turn of events

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

An excerpt to the thriller THE DEATH SCIENCES, which hasn't been published yet.

"

An unexpected turn of events

THE DEATH SCIENCES

Some unexpected thing must have happened, it can't be a question of disobedience, and I know them too well… Then why in the prophet's sacred name didn't they show up? Karim didn't expect them to be punctual, but having missed the second meeting means one thing some unexpected incident took place... or Abu-naeef himself prevented their participation in the combined exercise He has prepared and planed for the day, Karim concluded with much frustration. ‘Well I’m going to solve that riddle right away! Having hailed a cab as soon as he emerged from the underground, he reached the Savoy or Abu-naeef's lair, as they named the hotel among themselves. He called suite five eleven to announce his arrival and went straight to the elevator. He never got cold feet whenever he had to meet his chief, like most of the others  whether he was told to, or whether he initiated the meeting himself as in this very case.

Hamid opened up and let him in, another bodyguard knocked slightly on one of the bedroom’s door and his chief appeared in a black tailored suit and a silver tie.

Karim greeted his chief and praised his good taste and elegant appearance, they shook hands and the four of them sat round a low table facing each other. Karim sat opposite his chief, while Abu Jaber and Hamid sat on either side in unbuttoned jackets, exposing their gun holsters. A few more greetings were exchanged before Karim was asked politely to have some coffee. Abu Jaber did the phone call and waited at the door, for the delivery. After a rather short spell of time, the door opened up again; and along with the room-service waiter pushing his loaded cart two more members arrived; Kassem with his gray fallen face and Haled with a triumphant smile spread all over his ugly face.

Room was made for the newcomers, the table was laid, and the room-service waiter left them in peace; coffee was poured in tiny cups and they all sipped it peacefully except the two bodyguards, who kept the party with deadly vigilance. Karim was the only one who kept turning his head to and fro from one face to another, unable to overcome his restlessness and quite furious with himself just because of it.

‘How is your trainee doing?’ Abu-naeef asked watching Karim with an inquiring look; before Karim could answer his chief Haled burst out in a loud contemptuous laugh, none of the rest to Karim's astonishment not even Abu-naeef, who should have been offended scolded Haled.

‘I can't tell yet, not at this early stage.’ Karim stated with some hesitation. ‘I'll need one more week at least to sum up his capabilities in any case I'll need more time and a crew of two men to give me a hand, if we want positive results.’ He added as if he'd no idea yet what Samir was like. But he knew already that something was wrong, for Haled's presence and behavior were the best indicators of it. But he didn't mention Haled and Abu Diab's absence this very afternoon, and he had briefed and prepared them for the combined exercise without his chief’s knowledge or permission…

Haled no doubt must have updated Abu-naeef already behind my back! Karim thought overcoming a fit of rage with much effort.

‘Just listen to him, he's asking for more time and a crew of two men! We aren't running a school down here, or a regular training base!’ Abu-naeef retorted. 'Do you mean the man was send to us without any basic training?’ He went on asking, as if the known fact surprised him.

‘That's right!’ Karim answered feeling as if he were playing a role in an absurd comedy.

‘We have neither the time nor the manpower. Would you suggest sending him somewhere else, say Moscow?’ Abu-naeef ventured, as if he was pushing Karim towards a well-hidden trap.

‘Well... ohm...’ Karim managed to mutter.

But Abu-naeef didn't wait for Karim to declare his solution to their problem. ‘And if we do send him to Moscow for a period of two years time, isn't it? Who would send us a replacement, when we're in such a need for man power? Who would guarantee his return to me when he graduates?’

Nothing serious has been put forth yet. Karim thought hopefully. Could it be another false alarm, a fuss over nothing?

‘But before reaching any decision on the matter...’ Abu-naeef smiled suddenly. ‘What do we know about that man? Is he reliable at all? Can we trust him?’ He went on asking, watching Karim through a pair of narrow eyes.

‘You can count on the Russians to find out how reliable he is!’ Karim answered him shaking off his own conscience every bit of responsibility, tearing open a very wide gap between Samir and himself.

‘And if he's a mole who has penetrated our ranks, would the Russians find such a possibility out or would he graduate with honors, and climb to the top  faster than any of us, and lead us all in the end!’

‘We may ask the Russians to pass our candidate, through a third degree interrogation, as part of his training!’ That's the right answer to shut your trap, you bloody nuisance! He thought satisfied and quite sure he was not at the storm's eye anymore.

‘You scored a point there dear Karim!’ His chief declared boisterously. ‘We're going to pass that trainee of yours a third degree interrogation ourselves. What do you think of that dear Karim?’

Haled burst out laughing again and the tense atmosphere has suddenly relaxed. The color returned to Kassem's face, and the bodyguards were exchanging smiles a scapegoat was found and they won't be bored in a rather short while. They’ll have some serious work to do at last. Karim's blood pressure soared as he glanced briefly at Haled's ugly features, which reminded him a mocking African mask of some obscure origin.

‘What happened?’ He asked turning to Abu-naeef, in almost a whisper.

‘Haled saw him meet an Israeli agent in broad daylight, a short while before he met you!’

© Haim Kadman 1991 " all rights reserved.

 

120 pages

71,431 

wordswww.freado.com/book/16998/the-death-sciences

ganxy.com/i/89416

© 2014 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

254 Views
Added on May 7, 2014
Last Updated on May 7, 2014
Tags: suspense, intelligence, action, espionage, adventure

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman