The scolding

The scolding

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

Do read the 1st 3chap of 22 books, or read the full text with KDP; or buy 6 novelettes and short story collection for just $2.99, at: https://www.amazon.com/Haim-Kadman/e/B009Z7XL8C You can download

"


The Reimote Control Job

An excerpt

The cell's door was open and they went straight in, without a word. Nicole sat down next to the table, leaning heavily with both her elbows on it.

Shut the door comrade Spree.’ She said in a weak and tired voice, and added angrily right after it: ‘Well, I'm here with you, or is there someone else you expect to pay you a visit?’

She must be in some mood after that trip... Nick thought pitying her, but rushed confused to the open door to shut it and stayed on beside it quite upset.

But what’s going on? Where are the guards? Aren’t they coming to lock us in? Am I free to leave the cell from now on even without her, all by myself, any time I choose? Incredible, no it can't be true… The whole staff didn't desert, or abandon temporarily their posts, just because of that air-raid. They must have changed their attitude towards me that’s the answer to that riddle, they don't expect me to escape, or try to trick them in some way. They must have more confidence in me by now. But what about the air-raid then, these were American plans, and in spite of all that... But what the hell! What difference does it make? He thought turning to the table to join Nicole.

What does he gain out of it? The only thing he cares for is to stay on with Nicole, nothing else. Without her, any possibility to leave freely the cell or to leave that lousy hole forever does not count at all. Thus thinking and watching her masked face, he made up his mind, turned to her and said: ‘Am I as funny looking as you, with all that dust all over my face?’

Funny but alive,’ she answered angrily.

Never before has he seen her in such a sullen mood. She took it very hard. He thought worried. How would it affect their relationship, their plans to escape?

Jesus Christ! We could have used that armored car for it! We should have been on our way southwards by now! All we had to do was to get rid of that driver, and head in the opposite direction, up to the last drop of fuel; abandon it, or get the fuel we'll need to continue to ride southwards. Nicole can arrange it, there is nothing she can't get or do... Who would have noticed our absence in the complete confusion that ensued? Most of the guards are still mobilized no doubt, to assist in the rescue operations. No one has returned yet. We missed our chance it seems, but still that armored car must be reckoned with, I must ask her and suggest its use, see what she thinks about it. All we need is fuel and she can get it for us!

Fetch me some water and a towel, comrade.’ Nicole interrupted the silence suddenly, in a flat and tired voice.

She could took take a shower instead. Nick reflected somewhat surprised. He should take one himself. But afraid she might refer to it as to some kind of an obscene hint, considering her sensitive state of mind; he did not dare to suggest it. Without a word he set straight off to serve her.

When he brought her the bowl with the water she asked for, he stood by her side with a bar of soap and a ready towel. It was his turn he thought, to appease her, to revive her spirits. He could not have grasped of course, that she kept the thunderous silence on purpose, before she'll oppress him harder than ever in the very next stage.

A few seconds after he himself washed the dust off his face, and sat humbly opposite her, they heard a slight knock on the door. Nicole uttered a short guttural syllable that sounded more like a grunt than a word with a meaning in it. The door opened up and their late lunch was brought in, by a pair of sneaking guards, who must have waited to some kind of a sign from her; a sign he did not detect, or was the whole thing directed from outside, he could not know. In any case he knew that they listened to their conversation, and thus they were able to send the guards in right on time.

So what! If it was meant to impress me in some way, well I’m not, and if it was not for Nicole's low feelings and that God damn air-raid and its tragic results, I would have burst out laughing, by Jove! Nick thought amused and puzzled at the same time. Those tough guards are behaving just like a pair of a five star hotel's staff.

Their guards served them in obvious haste leaving the door wide open behind their backs; usually they did not pay any heed to him, whatever pair it was. But they could not ignore him now after that air-raid and indeed they kept sending hot hostile glances in his direction, but left after all as soon as they could.

Nicole did not eat but sat watching him with a stern face, and a hard accusing stare.

What a lousy mess! What does she expect me to do, or to say...? Though hungry he did not dare to touch his bowl of rice, not before she would touch hers.

I don't know... I'm terribly sorry...’ He said at last. ‘I was never good in expressing myself, but I'm deeply shocked and ashamed...’

Ashamed?’ Nicole quoted him knitting her brows.

I'm ashamed of being an American.’ He managed to mutter at last.

Oh I see...’ She remarked mockingly. ‘But that won't stop your fellow countrymen, the aggressors from bombing us, or occupy half our country or continue with their atrocities against our civilians!’

But why blame me?’ He raised his voice angrily. ‘I hate that lousy war I didn't want to take part in it!’

But you had to, against your own free will.’ Nicole suggested rather calmly.

That's right I had to, I was compelled to enlist.’

If for instance you had within yourself the power and means to stop that war, you would have stopped it, wouldn’t you?’

Sure I would, but that's nonsense and you know it, why ask it then?’ He challenged her boldly.

There are enough wise men on both sides of the Pacific, who're able with mutual efforts, to put an end to this brutal war; all we have to do is give them the little help we can. All right, eat your food now.’ She went on talking without waiting for his comments. ‘It’s getting cold.’

Copyright © Haim Kadman 2013. All rights reserved.

© 2017 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

338 Views
Added on March 7, 2017
Last Updated on March 7, 2017
Tags: suspense, intelligence, espionage, action, adventure, love

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman