Summer Tempest - an excerpt plus synopsis

Summer Tempest - an excerpt plus synopsis

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

The novel Summer Tempest is my 4th book and my longest literary creation. I’ve writen it during 4 long years from 2003 up to 2007.

"

Smadar Ravnitski ex head waitress mounted the number 31 line bus on her way to her home in Yad Eliahu, an eastern sector of Tel Aviv.

About five minutes after seven pm Nehama and Yoske have freed her from her duties. It was of course Nehama who let Smadar leave at about the end of day Yoske just approved his wife's decision and instructions, and kept watching Smadar till she crossed the pastry shop's entrance and vanished among the pedestrians in Alenby Street.

It was a day of hard work from seven to seven, twelve hours on her feet; and that's after she stopped to be a head waitress, as the baker and the two additional waitresses were fired. It was not a different day from any other day with its long hours of work, she got used to the long hours, but the tensed atmosphere that started with the announcement of the terror attack at noontime brought her to a state of exhaustion almost.

During the afternoon hours at about five pm, when a great number of clients crowded again the hall and the pavement's tables, she did not feel her weariness yet and she worked with passivity and served efficiently the clients, ignoring the whispers, the vulgar compliments and even a hand or two that caressed her behind.

If it was a regular day of work, things would not have reached that humiliating state; she thought while she was standing in the bus between the seats close to the rear door, with her back to the door; keeping away from the commuters and male commuters in particular, the feeling of humiliation has not left her yet.

Her only consolation was the fact that her salary was not cut down, despite the conditions worsening; for she had to arrange and clean the tables with no one to help her and serve the clients at the same time. The tips the clients left her, after following her with their lusty looks as if they were prowling a prey; undressing her with their eyes full of lust, smiling to her unashamed revealing thoughts of lewdness, which increased the feelings of humiliation that haunted her particularly during the last month.

She did not dare to bring up that delicate matter before Nehama; it was pointless; in her current state Nehama may start thinking of replacing her with another another. She did not decide whether she'll resign from her current job or keep on working in spite of her bad feelings, and overcome it and get used to the daily harassing, which accompanies her life each working day during last month.

After all many other young women are employed just like her in this kind of work, students and teenagers and they do not have her quite rare conditions of a salary plus tips, while they have to ignore the hands that touch and caress their bodies in expectance for tips, which is the only basic part of their income. But above all, she won't see Yoske anymore if she'll resign.

From time to time she peeped through the bus windows on the passing view of the street, afraid she will fail to get off at her bus stop. During the last month she missed her bus stop a couple of times while being buried in her thoughts, and had to walk back with feelings of frustration, and self guilt, on top of her feelings of humiliation.

Summer Tempest

Synopsis
The plot of this novel’s background is the era of the late 90s up to the beginning of the current century.

It's the era of hope for peace following the peace agreement between the State of Israel and the PLO organization that was signed in the year 1993, and the disillusion and despair that followed from 1995 on; with the outburst of the disturbances and the terror attacks by the PLO, the partner of the 1993 peace process; or the Oslo Accorrd as it was termed on the White House lawn, where it was solemnly agreed and signed upon.
The two novel’s protagonists are Yoske (Joseph) Solan and Erella Zingman Abrahams, both of them and their relatives and their close friends represent the generation that was born at about the time of the State of Israel war of Independence during the late 40s, and up to the beginning of the 50s of the previous century.
Both the novel’s protagonists are married, while during their youthful years they were in a romantic relationship.

Erella is married to an American Jewish tycoon and lives in New York City, while Yoske is married to Erella’s best friend Nehama ; he and Nehama live in Tel Aviv and own a pastry shop in the famous Allenby Street.

Erella lands in Ben-Gurion airport near Tel Aviv, in the midst of this stormy era to visit her relatives, and with the hope to renew her romantic relationship with Yoske her old flame. 
This novel includes 206 pages and 124,212 words

The novel "Summer Tempest" is available to download as an ebook at Amazon.com.

www.amazon.com/Haim-Kadman/e/B009Z7XL8C

And as a paperback with Create Space:

https://www.createspace.com/4355406

Since the early 1980 up to this very day I’ve written and published digitally 22 novels and thrillers, and I’m writing now my 23rd thriller and do hope to end its last chapter at the end of this year. 

You’re invited to read the 1st 3chap of my 22 books, or to download The novelettes The Red Square, It’s God’s wish, A fateful opportunity and A preemptive strike > $2.99 each; plus the short story collections: The unveiling > $1.99, The gambit, The dream and its outcome and Blended Lit. Flashes at > $0.99 each.

https://www.amazon.com/Haim-Kadman/e/B009Z7XL8C ;

or read the full text with KDP library;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId..

You’ll have to write my name at the left upper search line- haim kadman.

© 2017 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

603 Views
Added on March 27, 2017
Last Updated on April 1, 2017
Tags: Literature, prose, terror, attacks, perseverance, love

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman