The promising visit

The promising visit

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

One of my first stories on art in my country, it’s fictitious but based on my own life experience.

"

The promising visit



Do you know Ahiraz Getalong?’

He raised his eye brows with wonder. ‘No, I don’t…’ A smile of embarrassment has formed on his lips.

She has been roaming around in his apartment some twenty minutes at least; checking his walls, coming to a halt before each painting, and now at last she opened up her mouth.

He’s a painter of some renown I believe; he was one of the pupils of well… You know that famous one who was hospitalized and the whole country mourned him already, while he got out of it, and he’s still alive and paints.’

Who doesn’t know him…? He thought frustrated. She means that amoeba no doubt, which divided itself to tens or much more. I’ve seen many a time paintings, which I was convinced were of that certain amoeba, but learned to my surprise that they were in fact of his many different pupils " the one and only difference was the signature at the paintings’ bottom.

Oh yes I know him I believe, and I’ve heard his name many a time if I’m not wrong.’ He said with a note of disappointment.

I’ve two of Ahiraz paintings hanging in my living room, and half a dozen paintings of some other painters, though less notorious than him " but they’re worth quite a sum.’ She emphasized raising her chin with a note of resoluteness.

He was on the verge of losing his temper that rare name of Ahiraz for truth sake never reached his ears; and he could not have seen of course any of his works.

He mumbled a word of apology and turned to the table where his friend, who bothered to bring along that acquaintance of hers, on that Saturday morning sat smoking.

Give me a cigarette,’ he asked her trying his best to calm down, leaving his potential buyer on her own.

The latter abandoned his walls just as well, and hastened to join them.

I haven’t told you yet about our last vacation in Eilat, have I?’ She turned to his friend.

You’d better listen to it you two; it’s rather relevant to our meeting.’ She declared decisively, exchanging meaningful glances with her little audience.

The dam has toppled down all a sudden, she kept quiet too long it seems. He thought disappointed, and poured his guests a drink of a homemade lemonade; which he prepared for this sale opportunity.

His potential buyer did not drink and sat on ignoring the full glass and the refreshments, prepared especially for that meeting. As if it was some symbolic act. For if she will drink she will have to thank him for his hospitality and attention in some way…While if she won’t she may leave his apartment empty handed.

What a miserable idea, and there’re some who take it as a clever trick. He went on thinking disappointed.

We spent our last two weeks vacation in Eilat Gadi and me, my husband…’ She added laying quite a stress on her last syllables, watching his face with a meaningful gaze. Like some warning in advance, as if to say that she isn’t game at all, but she is well aware to her force of attraction. And that was no doubt her own judgment, she thought she’d better let him understand that flirting won’t promote him anywhere.

Two weeks in Eilat with all the expected comfort and entertaining, aren’t an everlasting pleasure it seems. We’ve reached that conclusion during our second week there of course. So we’ve decided to leave earlier than planned. We left on Saturday morning, at day break. It was a great idea, as the road was empty, and we reached the town of Beer-Sheva at about a quarter to nine. At the cafe where we sat to have our first morning coffee, Gadi saw an announcement advertising an exhibition of the painter I’ve been telling you about.’ She smiled politely to her host. ‘So Gadi said let’s rest up to ten am, which is the opening hour and hop to visit it. I objected of course and that was our first dispute…’ She recalled with much exuberance.

To argue with Gadi is impossible, I couldn't convince him and had to visit that exhibition with tight lips. But I made him pay for it and quite dearly.’ She added with a short gay laugh.

As we were the only visitors at that early hour, I’d a very long chat with the artist, and made him explain all the exhibits and made poor Gadi terribly jealous. and that wasn’t all… I’ve bought the two most expensive paintings in that exhibition. That was the first time I’ve seen my Gadi on the verge of losing his temper.’

Wasn’t you supposed to pick up Gadi at eleven thirty?’ Asked her his close friend, rising to her feet.

Despite his disappointment he followed his guests downstairs to the parking lot, with some relief.

Your paintings are, how should I define it? Impressive, yes that’s the right term, absolutely impressive.’ She said opening her car’s door, far from the danger of any commitment.

I’d like to have a second look at them, before reaching any decision.’ She added with a polite smile and understanding.

I’ll keep in touch.’ She went on talking behind the steering wheel, and switched on the car’s engine.

© Haim Kadman 1978 (published April the 2nd 2013 " all rights reserved.

You can read the 1st 3chap of my 22 books, or read the full text with KDP library; or buy 6 novelettes and short story collection for just $2.99, and all my novels and thrillers > $4.99 each at:

https://www.amazon.com/Haim-Kadman/e/B009Z7XL8C



© 2017 Haim Kadman


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
Added on April 17, 2017
Last Updated on April 17, 2017
Tags: Literature, art, painting, model, live, love

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman