Weekends

Weekends

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

A certain short story.

"

Weekends

("You’ve got your troubles I've got mine")


Weekends were the days that Avner Tanami detested in particular, these were the days in which he roamed in the streets of this foreign town; just as he did on this very Friday night, pretending to be some kind of a playboy, while in fact he missed his home town, the girl he left behind who surely has found someone else … He missed his friends with whom he used to meet at Friday nights, the warm and open atmosphere without pretense; in contrast to the need to pretend that he is someone else, and to get used to his new identity. On top of it he had to be cautious and cold towards those he came in touch with, at these very early stages of his new career.

These thoughts kept bothering his conscious repeatedly every Friday night, and during the entire weekend, while sitting over a newspaper and checking all the possibilities he could have, to pass his time during one more weekend.

Thus in this certain evening he roamed the lighted town's streets without any purpose, he simply moved to where ever his feet took him. Somewhat later he turned a corner and a lighted signpost glowed before his eyes, of some local entertainment hall. It was the last craze in this small town too, bingo

If he would have passed near such an entertainment hall in his own country, he would not have bothered to know what it means; but the need to adapt to his new environment, and to learn the local population preferred aspects of entertainment, made him change his mind. He had after all to behave as if he was one of them, and to adapt an image of a completely different person; as if he is a local of one of the districts of this foreign country, and to get rid of all the traits that could expose his real identity. It was not that critical while he is still in this peaceful country of course, but in the future he shall have to serve as a completely different person in an enemy country. That is why he entered the hall and bought a ticket, forms, and received free of charge a cheap pen at the entrance.

On the stage at the hall’s far end stood an entertainer and read the numbers pm small plastic balls, popped out and up through an air fountain in cycles.

The hall was crowded and full with fans of this new craze, and Tanami had to walk all along the aisle up to the stage and back, looking for a free seat; on his way towards the exit he discerned a lone free seat, and pushed his way towards it while mumbling excuses from those that occupied the seats on his way up to that free seat.

As he sat down at last while he was passing over the forms to find the right place for the current number series, his neighbor on his left hastened to help him to find it, and as he hesitated where to mark the right number, his neighbor did it for him and rather nimbly. She did complete her form much earlier and very quickly. Thus Tanami sat besides her listening to her explanations, watching with wonder her face, her hand scribbling in his form held on his knees, and that's how the time elapsed up to the intermission.

Next to the bar while drinking coffee they have exchanged a few words. She introduced herself as Alison Duncan, while he told her the name that appears in his passport. It was very pleasant to chat with her, particularly due to his depressive state in which he was during the several hours before he met her. She was very friendly towards him and very talkative; he could not avoid suspecting some kind of a trap. It seemed as if she was briefed beforehand and expected him. But she was not what one would define as a beautiful or an alluring female. She was a small blond bespectacled with green eyes and she said that she is married and is a bingo addict, her husband and their friends await her in their neighborhood's pub. These few details made him change his mind; he thought he could refer to their meeting as a coincidental one.

The intermission has not ended yet, and she already offered him to accompany her to the pub, and meet her husband and their friends.

The next hour in the bingo hall passed quickly as Tanami or we had better call him Guy, was very busy filling the bingo forms, and glancing around from time to time to find out how their sudden friendship seemed to their neighbors on both their sides.

When the bingo session was over, and he was

walking beside her; the whole thing seemed to Guy a bit strange, while he accompanied her in the empty streets. If she would have parted from him at the end of this evening, he would have asked her politely when he will see her again, without any intention to do it; these were the rules he had to follow and obey, to avoid close relationships. He could not know if he might meet the same people under a completely different identity in the future, while serving under a cover story in an enemy country.

But through meeting her he learned many details that were very important to him, her way of thinking, the subjects that interested her, the local slang; she was a gold mine as far as he was concerned.

While passing time in a pub in the company of her friends and husband, could be quite an asset. It had after all to become part of his personal experience in his new identity.

At the pub he was introduced to Alison's husband and the Duncan's friends, in a short straight to the point introduction without any embarrassing questions. He joined the males in darts' throwing and drinking beer, while the women sat next to the bar drinking cherry brandy. It was a fascinating night he could not have dreamed of. He took active part in the drinking rounds, but after the fourth round he stopped drinking, and when his turn came he just paid and did not drink, he had to be cautious for he was not used to such quantities of booze.

When the hour came and pub had to be shut down, all of them turned to their cars, and drove to Duncans’ home, some pastry and tea was offered and Guy listened with wonder to teasing and chuckles on Alison's account When the Duncans' guests parted at last the time two am.

'Listen,' Alison said to Guy, 'you'll sleep here tonight, everything is closed by now.'

The next morning Alison entered without knocking on his bedroom's door, carrying a platter with his breakfast. She sat beside his bed and while Guy was eating, she explained to him in detail the schedule of their coming day.

A short while later Guy was sitting on the rear seat of the Duncans’ car, on a Saturday trip in the mountainous region landscapes, listening to Alison's favorite song: "you’ve got your troubles I've got mine", with a broad smile on his face �" he did not detest weekends anymore.


© Haim Kadman June 2013 �" all rights reserved.


© 2018 Haim Kadman


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
Added on July 17, 2018
Last Updated on July 17, 2018
Tags: suspense, intelligence, espionage, action, adventure, love

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman