“An African Sunset”

“An African Sunset”

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

Synopsis

"

 

Synopsis

 

 Reuven Shatz, a young agronomist, joins a small Israeli diplomatic delegation in a West African country. He is sent there to replace an agricultural instructor whose term there reached its end. Hardly a week passes and he is already acquainted with the trivial disputes between the delegation’s members.

Major Everon the agricultural delegation’s head takes him under his guidance, keeps him away from the foreign office delegates, and does his best to adjust Shatz not just to the harsh local climate, but to the way of life that he himself leads there.

As Shatz is supposed to replace Priel his predecessor as smoothly as possible, he is requested to work in correlation with him at the farm near the town of Dialo; thus he spends the few days up to the Priels’ departure at their cottage as their guest. The delicate matter to accept him as their guest, is mediated quite rudely by Everon.

During his stay with the Priels Shatz learns much about the rupture between his hosts and the rest of the delegation members; the strange way in which his predecessor is being exploited by Da-Silva, the local farm manager; and of Hilla, Priel’s wife obssesive fear of that powerful man. He falls in love with Hilla, and conducts a very stragne and short love affair with her, which ends up to his bitter disappointment when the Priels leave. His evenings Shatz spends with Everon the delegation’s head at the club, not far from Mouaka the capital; there he meets Janine, the young daughter of one of Everon’s closest French associates. His flirt with Janine gets on Everon’s nerves. Everon is terribly jelouse and makes up a scene during the ride back at 100 miles per hour, overturns alomst the car endangering their lives in a heated dispute. That dramtic scene brings Shatz’s salvation in its wake. He frees himself completely from Everon’s patronage and gets the support of the embassy staff, but has to face the consequences �" a hearing at the embassy, before the ambassador who tries to solve in vain the dispute between Shatz  and Everon. On the verge of being sent back home Shatz tightens his relationships with the rest of embassy members, and with Janine and her father, against the ambassador’s strict orders.  

 

The manuscript “An African Sunset” includes:

20 chapters, 99,848 words.

© 2011 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on August 15, 2011
Last Updated on August 15, 2011

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman