Desolation

Desolation

A Poem by Harrisen Viator

i feel so lonely,
i'm overwhelmed.
this empty heart
it's just aching.
i feel this desire
to hold someone tight,
to give my love
and know it's right.
she had it first,
it was so true.
i went in too fast
and i held the blame.
i gave her my all
she gave hers away,
i found this out later
my heart's in dismay.
these feelings haunt me
most every night,
i can't overcome them
nor their dejection.
i just feel the need
to love and protect,
to find that one girl
let our hearts connect.
i just feel lonesome
it's devastating
this barren heart
it's just aching.

© 2013 Harrisen Viator


Author's Note

Harrisen Viator
Just emotions. What do you think about the rhyme scheme? Or how I changed the words in the last four lines, except aching? Let me know your thoughts

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Rejection is a hard pill to swallow, feel the pain in this write. I'm not a rhymer myself but I'm not crazy about rhyming ing with ing...perhaps try a different approach.

I just feel lonesome
devastated, broken in half
this barren heart
has had its last laugh


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Harrisen Viator

11 Years Ago

Yeah more like cheating multiple times with multiple guys, which I guess is like rejection.. and I r.. read more



Reviews

I feel the rhyming works real well with this poem :) Also, I felt I could really relate to this simply because the line: "I gave her my all, she gave hers away" reminds me how my last relationship was. I gave all my emotions and heart into it, but he didn't seem to care and had no problem just breaking up with me, then acting as if I don't exist or ever meant anything to him. It's tough when you give all of your effort and personal self to someone and expecting everything to be okay or for them to put in equal effort just like you have...but often, it doens't work like that. Great write :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Harrisen Viator

11 Years Ago

Thank you! I'm sorry that you can relate to it, cause it's not fun, but hey it's cool that people ca.. read more
DoNt LoSe YoUrSeLf

11 Years Ago

Yeah, emotions aren't the most fun things to try dealing with, but that's what life is all about rea.. read more
I read the whole piece first then read the last word in each line only to get the rhymes and I liked it. So far as the content goes; I glanced at what you said in the reviews about "cheating." First off ask yourself this question. Did she lead you to believe you were her one and only or did you let yourself believe that? Second thing is; girls (or boys) like this, Promiscuous types. You enjoy what you get from them in that moment and let them go. They're "right here right now fun." not love, and trust me little dude, right here right now fun ain't to bad. These types of people aren't hard to pick out of a crowd and after awhile you'll know the difference too. Inthe mean time just be careful with that heart of yours. Okay?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Harrisen Viator

11 Years Ago

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. And yeah, I fucked up, but she was lying and manipulative and.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ees
I think the words are right and the timing too, but if I were you I would consider breaking this into stanzas as there are transitional areas in your writing.

You don't need a partner or a girl, or at least you shouldn't. You are too young to feel that need so strongly. No me, I've got all of my family on my back everyday. They want a wedding to attend, they want a party to throw, they want to buy cute little baby clothes and soon, they don't want me to miss my window of opportunity! And I don't even have, nor have I ever had a real, true boyfriend.

Nice job! I think it is well done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Harrisen Viator

11 Years Ago

Oh, well I mean it really isn't about wanting someone, it's about me loving my ex and her cheating o.. read more
Ees

11 Years Ago

I see that to a certain extent, but there was this underlying feeling that seemed like you just need.. read more
Dear Harrisen

I am glad we are now friends.

I thought, albeit I have currently 543 read requests, I would turn my attention to you in this piece.

I can only do what I can.

Four clues here:

1) You are 19 and a student;

2) Your author's note is about construct and not content;

3) Your title gives an idea 'Desolation'; and

4) Then we are left with the words of your poem.

I can review in any style as fancy takes me and as I go. Let's see where this one takes me. We will both find out at the end.

Review.

Structure: One Twenty Eight Line verse. Complaints? None. Who ever said Poetry had to be other than words on a page? Is it supposed to have a form, an already recognised one? Not at all. I object that anyone should so confine anyone in their writing. Originality is often all.

I would note that the greatest writers of all time took the 'Beginners Guide to Writing Effectively' dumped it in the bin, did their own thing. They broke every rule in the book. That's why they are famous!

Rhyme: Virtually none. All I see at distance is 'tight', 'right' and 'night' Am I bothered? Nope! There is a sort of Poetry in prose to this as a feel, though Baulderalire's 'Fleurs du Mal' was lengthier in its poetic prose statements.

You do lines that last at most four words.

But therein lies a lot of its beauty. Less is more. Curt rather than weighty and ponderous.

One day we may refer to this as 'Harrisen Viator's 'Desolation' and reflect back on it as a unique style?

It doesn't really matter in the end. This is what you wanted to say and this is how you chose to say it.

Bearing in mind my reviews can be long and balanced I may pick up stuff here I would prefer was written otherwise, but mostly it's just me talking heart and soul if not also sole.

And so to meaning:

See I always like looking at the writing and the writer behind it at the same time.

What do I see here?

Me at your age.

Wanting love.

Losing it.

Broken heart.

Loneliness when all you want is companionship.

At 18 I was in Belfast. At 19 I was in Geneva. At 20 I was in Paris. At 21 I was in Cambridge as an undergraduate and then I travelled the world in business.

But I still remember the trials and tribulations of early love, the hurts, the loneliness and if not that just the multiplicity of endless casual sex where I lost count in the end!

Casual affairs don't hurt. Love does!

Lifts:

'i feel so lonely,
i'm overwhelmed.
this empty heart
it's just aching.'

Hurt! Deeply hurt and alone after failed love!?

Next lift:

'i feel this desire
to hold someone tight,
to give my love
and know it's right'

You know what you want. You seek it. You've lost it. You have a point of view in personal awareness you admit.

Next lift:

'she had it first,
it was so true.
i went in too fast
and i held the blame'

Lost love. It didn't last long but you feel it's your fault. Take it from one who knows after 53 years on the blue planet. It isn't your fault. It's shared responsibility. It takes two to tango.

Next lift:

'i gave her my all
she gave hers away,
i found this out later
my heart's in dismay.'

In love you always make yourself vulnerable. it is all about mutual trust. But in trusting you may find yourself deceived. It was all too quick. A false front. She / he finds someone else and you feel like garbage that has just been binned when you feel you don't deserve it.

Next lift:

'these feelings haunt me
most every night,
i can't overcome them
nor their dejection.'

When deceived in love in my teenage years or even when my first wife chose to f**k behind my back in marriage, it's tough. It is the stuff of nightmares and even after decades, I haven't forgotten. The pain remains. Distance may dull pain, but the apparent oblivion of sleep will throw them back in your face in fuller nightmarish form.

Next lift:

'i just feel the need
to love and protect,
to find that one girl
let our hearts connect'

You reiterate your need for that one other who will make you whole; the one the other and the only.

You may find perhaps even as this poem may imply when in a relationship and it gets hard, you want out of it.

When out of a relationship you want back into another.

Happened to me.

'Pathemata mathemata' as the Ancient Greeks used to say. 'Experience teaches'.

Let's see as in this poem how you mature and your attitudes with experience over time.

Last lift:

'i just feel lonesome
it's devastating
this barren heart
it's just aching.'

You end with the barren words of loneliness, rejection and pain.

As reader to writer, at your age and even today, I still see your pain.

If it is not in past times, it can still reside and continue today.

At your age, at college in Paris, I remember saying to a French older friend, 'I wish I were less shy and older so that I could deal with the world better.'

His words still ring bells in my ears and remain true, 'The older you get, the harder it beomes. There is no merit in maturity. Life is a continuum constantly changing and we react and adapt or we die'.

Harrisen, I find in this poem a beguiling honesty which speaks to my heart of the person you are, when I was your age.

But what as writers are we all seeking to do?

We want that and only that, recognition in our readers in their life experiences of our own.

The only thing that can be said to be true is that you can never please all the people all of the time.

We are all different.

But you have pleased me with this eloquent, well worded and simple piece of poetic anguish and I assure you will have struck so many more.

Should this review should have failed its purpose, I apologise.

But today it is all I can offer.

My emotional response.

Just me

Your friend


James Hanna-Magill

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Harrisen Viator

11 Years Ago

James Hanna-Magill,

Thank you so much for your review of my poem and offering your own .. read more
unsavable_soul

11 Years Ago

And here I digress...
As always James nails it. I hope it was understood my views were only th.. read more
there is an ache here...the rhyme scheme is fine...but something i might like to see you do is go for free verse...if the rhyme naturally comes, let it.

but this feels just a bit forced...just let your emotions flow naturally with your pen.

perhaps shoot for some metaphor...use one thing to tell another..

channel the emotions...

this is good for "getting it out" but you might back away from the emotions a little bit...give them time to settle, and then play a bit more...package them in a bit more of an abstract way.

just thoughts...

40 years ago when i started writing, it was more of a direct flow from the heart...

it felt good to get those emotions out, no doubt...but then i started to use them more than letting them use me.
if that makes any sense....

jacob

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Harrisen Viator

11 Years Ago

I'll definitely give free verse a try sometime, I have never really went in to writing with the inte.. read more
must say I like the way you did a change up in your ending. I feel this piece for sure, now on to critique. You have done a good job in that change you spoke of with one exception in my personal opinion.

" i feel so lonely,
it's overwhelming. -------- here the direct meaning I take as too much to
this empty heart handle.
it's just aching. "

" i just feel lonesome
it's devastating ----------here the direct meaning I take as highly destructive
this barren heart
it's just aching. "

My thought here was that perhaps you had sought for more likeness as you did with lonely and lonesome. Such as overwhelming / overthrowing or overpowering, while these that you use are technically synonyms they lack the direct connect that the first line of each part has.. This being said to my knowledge you can't do with overwhelming what you accomplished with lonely / lonesome, other then to use overwhelm as past tense or current. Then devastating again same thing. I merely thought with your talents you might seek more cohesive wording. This is of course my opinion as a reader and not at all to say you're wrong as I do not feel as such.
Lastly...

To the effect of your rhyme scheme, I loved it with one exception.


" it was so true.
i went in too fast
she blamed it on me. ----------- this line, mostly it ending in "me".
i gave her my all
she gave hers away,
i found this out later
my heart's in dismay.
these feelings haunt me ---------- and this one, again the "me".
most every night,
i can't overcome them "

I think due to the length between these two lines and what I view as their relation to your rhyme scheme, I began to somewhat trip over the rhythm that had been developed.
I think in all other senses ( my opinion, your thoughts are fact ) you excelled here. I hope this helps more than hinders as I think you are amazing and only getting ever better by the piece.
Sincerely
Christopher

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

unsavable_soul

11 Years Ago

My pleasure my dear friend.
Chris
Harrisen Viator

11 Years Ago

I changed the second line, I'd like to know your thoughts on that.
unsavable_soul

11 Years Ago

I definitely grasp the intent there much more then I had. But again for all matters of near if not p.. read more
The content and emotion, wonderful and authentic. Some of the rhymes, great (away/dismay - protect/connect) But the -ing rhymes don't flow as well.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Harrisen Viator

11 Years Ago

I think I'm going to change the first aching to shattered or something like that, because I didn't w.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 18, 2013
Last Updated on April 19, 2013
Tags: lonely
Previous Versions

Author

Harrisen Viator
Harrisen Viator

Dallas, TX



About
Twenty years old. Moving forward. soundcloud.com/harrisen-viator more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..