The Death of Innocence

The Death of Innocence

A Poem by Holly Soques
"

On the transition from childhood to adolescence, and the growing pains which that often involves, not necessarily for the better...

"

Childhood memories long lost in the waves

of turbulent adolescence, selective memory, and ability

to experience.

 

Dust gathers on The Bible.

I weep,

but no tears.

Too old for that.

Maturity is being pretentious or precocious,

I forget which.

‘Immature’ is an insult.

 

Nothing suits my frame �"

lilac flowing dresses swamp my under-

developed body, the beanie is a balaclava.

 

Music. That pleasing instrument of torture.

Wordless vibrations ring deep inside,

lalala lyrics understand what I don’t. Me. You.

Me or you? That is the question.

 

Mirrors. Ha. Metaphors.

That’s the revision talking.

I hate them. None of them are accurate anyways…

too fat, too spotty, too short, just fugly. Not me.

Didn’t even know they existed before. Mirrors, I mean.

 

© 2012 Holly Soques


Author's Note

Holly Soques
This was something I wrote about a year ago, basically unrevised. Penny for your thoughts?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is really well done! It's not really a style of writing that I usually explore, but it was a good read and one that reminds me a lot of simple stream of consciousness writing. I love the connections and comparisons you make at the same time, and my favorite part would definitely be the end, the last line. It ties everything together perfectly. Love it! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I'm not even sure if I understand what maturity means anymore. There are layers of innocence in all of us, and hopefully we can reside there as long as possible, on these layers. I am 52 and I still feel levels of innocence within me.

This is a good read...metaphors and mirrors. Thanks.

Posted 12 Years Ago


We hardly recognize the flash when our innocence dies. And then we can only recall the times when we used to be angel-like. The spirit of nostalgia. And yet I believe our inner child always remains innocent. Your piece makes one think. Your thoughts are provoking and topical. Your style is unique and inimitable.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Brilliant transition piece. I enjoyed this write.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nice. I like it. Good work :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love the pointless babbling and change of topic with every stanza, it explains an unfocused mind quite perfectly. Something tells me that I don't quite comprehend the true brilliance of this piece, which is probably true. Regardless, I managed to fathom it enough to recognize that this is a clever piece.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Excellent. I could just imagine you writing this down, not a care in the world. I'm not sure why that came to my mind, kind of contradicting. Is that even the right word? Sigh. Anyway, wonderful poem, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Feel free to send some Reading requests my way.

Posted 12 Years Ago


The best thing about this poem is that it is unrevised. I am 21, and I still don't think I've made that transition from childhood to maturity. This poem is nostalgic, and makes me think of all the things I wanted to do as a child, but haven't done till now.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

342 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 14, 2012
Last Updated on April 14, 2012
Tags: growing up, adolescence, childhood, lost, growth, development, teenage, sadness

Author

Holly Soques
Holly Soques

Planet Earth



About
I am: 1) A recreational writer who enjoys occasionally dabbling with ink, though time, ability and energy constraints limit my capacity, 2) A conflicted, possibly lonely, soul with internal cont.. more..

Writing
Mother Mother

A Poem by Holly Soques



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Old Old

A Poem by Muse