Remembering Socrates

Remembering Socrates

A Poem by Holly Soques
"

A poem dedicated to the great lover of truth, who ultimately became a martyr on his undeniable quest to spread that love.

"

In the Athens of long ago,

there was this man we now all know

by the name of Socrates, founding father

of philosophical enquiry against which we now measure.

 

The Socrates of a religion

before Christianity happened to occasion

known only through the Dialogues

of Plato, meaning 'broad', his best student with the fastest cogs.

 

His religion was this:

the quest for truth, now remiss

in today's world more so even than Athens

of old, Hellenic times at least encouraging the non-maidens

to pursue knowledge in whatever way was best

for themselves alone, no conditions, nor ulterior motives constantly to be guessed.

 

How admirable, how heroic indeed

was his trial, though defence permitted few to heed

the truth of his words, the enlightened mind

obvious in every conviction led by his 'guiding spirit' as we find

none more persistent, this gadfly

set on his divine mission to unsettle, annoy, and sting without a sigh

for his life's meaning was found

in this, his journey that started at the Oracle of Delphi, then ended without a sound.

 

A sound of protest he did not make

for his honour and conscience he took more valuable than life for its own sake.

Anytus, Meletus and co. had gotten their wish

whilst Plato amongst others wept as the Hemlock dish

was swifly downed by Socrates, unafraid

of death, curious more than might have been said

to see what came after, if truth

would finally be revealed, as the prophet forsooth.

 

And in the Athens of long ago,

there befell a woe

still felt even now.

 

© 2012 Holly Soques


Author's Note

Holly Soques
This was inspired by the Apology, which actually brought tears to my eyes towards the end. Socrates has always been a fascinating philosophical figure to study, not least because he never wrote anything himself. Let me know if I've done him justice?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's great to see the deep level of appreciation and emotion you put into this poem. Socrates was definitely a well respected and amazing man, and you display that here very well. Sad, poignant, and reflective.

Posted 12 Years Ago


A deliciously poignant piece of art! Socrates was certainly a man of great mirth -- may we all be like this wonderful 'lover of truth'; despite the lies that strangle society and twist all that is moral and good!

Well worth adding to my library!! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


You've certainly got my attention. I know next to nothing about Socrates other than his relationship with Plato. Now I'll need to do some reading on the subject. Nice job.

p.s. My mother once, when reading something about Socrates when she was young, pronounced his name "so...crates." She has never lived that one down.

Posted 12 Years Ago


yes you have done him justice. Nicely done!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nice. I like the greek mythology :) Good work

Posted 12 Years Ago


Reading your poem, the first thought that struck my mind was that we're not really too different as a society even today, are we? The same kind of oppression of free thought, albeit in more insidious forms, exists even today. Thoughtful write, and a thought provoking one :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Excellent tribute to Socrates. It's been so long, but I think you nailed it on the head with this one and captured him to a T. Nicely done!

Posted 12 Years Ago


this is an excellent tribute so socrates. it was informative for me since i've been out of school for many years and forgot all about the classics. he was a great man and i think you've done him justice as much as you can. he was a man who had the courage of his convictions and wasn't afraid to die for them. great poem.

Posted 12 Years Ago


You've done such a brilliant and intelligent for Socrates, but unfortunately, even though I've only a mere introduction to him, I cannot say whether you have done him justice. Though, I do know a little bit; just enough to say that you've put together an intelligent piece, my favourite part being the hemlock reference.
Great job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


"I decided that it was not wisdom that enabled poets to write their poetry, but a kind of instinct or inspiration, such as you find in seers and prophets who deliver all their sublime messages without knowing in the least what they mean."~Socrates.
I love him too :) Nice work, my friend!



Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

622 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 17, 2012
Last Updated on April 17, 2012
Tags: socrates, gadfly, persistent, truth, philosophy, athens, greek, hellenic, ancient greece, poem, eulogy, remembrance, sad, Plato

Author

Holly Soques
Holly Soques

Planet Earth



About
I am: 1) A recreational writer who enjoys occasionally dabbling with ink, though time, ability and energy constraints limit my capacity, 2) A conflicted, possibly lonely, soul with internal cont.. more..

Writing
Mother Mother

A Poem by Holly Soques



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..