Graduation: The End of One Life, The Beginning of Another

Graduation: The End of One Life, The Beginning of Another

A Story by hope.

          Each day, I walk down these streets of hell. But, everyday, it gets colder. Why, you may ask? Because every day that passes takes me further away from him.

          It started with a look, and week by week, it slowly progressed. God, when he finally showed me that twinkling smile, I couldn’t help but blush. It set my face on fire! And that first time he talked to me, even though it was just a ‘hey,’ all I wanted to do was melt right there.

          With each passing day goes another 24 hours later than that one night. But, does anyone know? Do they know how I feel? How it torments my every thought? Do you get it? I hope he understands… He has to…

          After 4 months of that taunting temptation, we finally began to talk. Actually talk. How? Well, one day, May 17th to be exact, he, clearly nervous, cautiously approached me after school as I was about to begin my walk home. He casually asked about our English homework and if I needed a ride home. Well, ten minutes later, I was riding shotgun in his big red truck. Oh, that first day… one that will never be forgotten.

          It took all of 4 minutes. That’s it. The most life-changing event of my life and all it took was four measly minutes. But, time is forgotten every time I picture that smile… that love… that life…

          Time passed on and our relationship progressed. And let me tell you, it was the best time of my life, even as I’m still growing older. It was the end of junior year when we first met, and the summer we spent together was epic. We learned everything about each other. Our life stories, our favorite everything’s, the way we live, what we want out of life, what we believed, everything; nothing was left out.

          The best part of the whole summer was that time we spent hours out under the stars just talking about life, god, religion, death; just, everything. That smoldering July night was amazing. Not only for one reason, though. It wasn’t just the best part of the whole summer because of what we were doing, but that was the first night he ever told me he loved me.

          It wasn’t just puppy love, and that is so cliché, I know. But, it just wasn’t. It was a passionate, mad fury that we shared. Love so deep, so real, it caught fire and everyone could feel its heat.

          Summer passed and school began. I couldn’t help my jealous tendencies, even though he insisted that there was nothing to worry about. It’d be ok. He had the idea that we’d be together forever and to be brutally honest, that scared me. Not being with him for that long " that’d be easy. Just the commitment. I wouldn’t want to do anything wrong.

          There never ever was anything to worry about. I know that now. Its good to know, even if I just realized it.

          I guess it was a good thing that his parents loved me, because I was there all the time to escape my own. My mom accepted him. My step dad didn’t know him, neither did he want to. My dad would never have the privilege of knowing him. Nevertheless, we were with each other all the time. My constant companion. Our 6 months came and went. And even with the countless fights we had had, our relationship was still as strong as ever.

It would never end. Every day was a new beginning. The time we spent together would keep going on forever. I’d waited all my life to find him, but what is a lifetime compared to eternity? Eternity. Such a long word for one with only eight letters…

Graduation was coming up fast. It seemed like only yesterday I was first walking into high school now, I had turned in college applications, been accepted into my most desired school(he was accepted there as well), and was readying myself for the senior trip in Cabo, for graduation, college, and above all, the rest of my life with him.

The time was coming. The time for the big step. Our 1 year was the day before graduation. So, we’d celebrate ‘us’ on graduation night. Looking back, I would’ve separated the two. Then, it never would’ve happened. And its all my fault…

Today is the day. Today is the first day of the rest of my life. I’m graduating. Leaving behind dependence, high school, and my immaturity. Looking forward to independence, college, and my life with him.

After graduation was over, he took me out to my favorite vantage point of the valley. As we discussed the rest of our lives, he tenderly took my hand in his, lowered himself to one knee, and quietly whispered, “You’re the love of my being, the shine of my star, and the hope of my dreams. I want to be with you for the rest of eternity. Marry me… please.” With tears silently rolling down my cheeks, I whispered back, “I will.” He slipped a ring onto my finger.

So far, it had been the greatest night of my life. And as much as I wish we could’ve stayed there, as much as I yearn for it now, we had other plans.

So, we began the long drive back to town. Our destination: his house. (His parents gave it all up for that night, knowing his proposal plans.) Tonight would be the night.

As we went around that last bend, all control was lost. The truck rolled and crashed and rolled and crashed. And as soon as it stopped and I regained consciousness that I had momentarily lost, I, in a panicked manner, looked to my left where he had been driving. I saw him gazing at me, his voice frantically calling my name. As soon as he saw my responsive look, he relaxed and started breathing slowly. As I tried to form words, he just watched me, his eyes starting to droop. He began to whisper, though incomprehensible at first, I soon began to understand… “I love you always…you and me forever.” He repeated this several times and as soon as I could muster up the energy, I responded, “I love you forever…you and me…always…” As soon as the last word exited my mouth, his eyes finally closed for the last time…

The greatest night of my nights suddenly became the worst, most tragic night of my existence.

Seconds, minutes, maybe even hours passed before I was awakened by a stranger who found our wreck. I came in and out of consciousness for days. I finally woke up alive, though in intensive care. They wouldn’t tell me a thing until 4 weeks after the accident when I was in a normal hospital room.

4 minutes. It took only 4 minutes for my love to be gone. Forever. The cause of the accident is still unknown. I was alone. Completely and utterly alone. He was gone. His family, I soon learned, had since then left, after visiting me 1 time, while I was still in a coma. I was left with no one.

Oh, how I wish I could go back. I pleaded with God. But he never listened.

I saw him in my dreams. But, I couldn’t sleep forever. Until I realized what had to be done.

I can’t do this. I can’t be alone. It’s been going on for too long. I slowly raised the gun to my forehead…. Now, I’ll be with my love forever…

© 2010 hope.


Author's Note

hope.
this is just a first draft. (: constructive critisism?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

OMG! this is amazing I love it! It pulls you in from the start i just love it. lol i like the four minutes thing
My favorite part would be..
"The greatest night of my night suddenly became the worst, most tragic night of my existence."

Then the ending result of that night and the terror after it was just amazing!


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow, this is an excellent write. I love your voice in this one. Very tragic, my heart grew heavy not only for her loss but for her sadness, i wanna reach out and help her. Great job, you know how to tug on the emotions.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

OMG! this is amazing I love it! It pulls you in from the start i just love it. lol i like the four minutes thing
My favorite part would be..
"The greatest night of my night suddenly became the worst, most tragic night of my existence."

Then the ending result of that night and the terror after it was just amazing!


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

476 Views
3 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 25, 2010
Last Updated on February 26, 2010
Tags: life, death, love, tradedy, sad

Author

hope.
hope.

Twin Falls, ID



About
i'm a girl. (: i love writing. and i seem different than what i write. sometimes life gets hard, but i gotta keep going. you keep me alive. (: more..

Writing