Chapter 1  Ludor

Chapter 1 Ludor

A Chapter by Michelle Earl
"

Jalam arrives at Ludor's port only to find that things are indeed as they shoulod not be. Follow his journey from freedom to imprisonment.

"

 

          The wooden ship rocked as Jalam made his way to the exit. He could tell that it was night, just by the smells that were wafting tantalizingly through the town and seducing his nostrils. He knew just the restaurant he would take her to, if the rumors were untrue. If they weren’t, he would look for his picture tacked onto a door, just as he had written in the love note to his fiancée. He had been praying that the rumors were just that and he would be able to take her with him to his homeland.
          He thought of his homeland and of his parents as he inched his way toward the exit. His mother cried as they saw him off, for she had been certain that she would never see him again. His father wished him well, knowing that he deeply loved this beauty of pitch-like hair from another land. 
He finally reached the door, and took in a deep breath of fresh air and stepped from the ship onto the stone dock. In one hand, he had his knapsack, and in the other, a jar of fragrant oils that he had brought as a gift for Riona, which was their custom. To the left, on dry land, were loved ones waiting for passengers. Some were embracing, while others were conversing with serious looks on their faces. To the right were the prostitutes waiting for the sailors who would bed them tonight, but what was this? Before, the gates to the city of Ludor were always open and there were never any guards! He counted fifteen of them at least. Fear tightened in his stomach as he tensed. So, the rumors of this country are true. Oh, my poor Riona, what have they done to you? Creator, please take me to her. For now, I ask that you grant me strength so that I may get past these guards and into the city…to my Riona’s arms. Awlen. Jalam started toward one of the gates.
“You!” A sentry barked, singling him out after looking at a piece of paper and then at his companions. “Over here.”
“Me? I have done nothing.” Jalam said. “I have just come to visit my love. Oh, Creator, was that the right thing to say? Did I give them too much information?
“Who is your love?” His companion heckled. “A w***e?”
“Not Riona! How can you say that?” Jalam’s face burned hot with rage, and his hands balled into fists as he fought to control his anger. The jar he was carrying was shaking. “She is a true lady! She is also the daughter of a prominent businessman!”
“Is that the only reason that you have come to this kingdom?” The first guard asked.
“Yes.” Jalam nodded.
“Liar! You are a spy, come to see how well we have fortified our cities!” He spat in Jalam’s face.
He’s trying to see if I’d react further. Don’t let him see that you are incensed by what he just did. “Untrue. Talk to Likol Maru, that’s Riona’s father. He’ll vouch for me.”
“Yeah, right, like any Ludorian will vouch for a spy!” The man turned slightly and Jalam caught sight of the paper he had in his hand. It was the picture Riona had sketched of him when he was here last! He knew because he had posed for her and only her. Not only that, he recognized the flowing script that was her signature. 
He snatched tha paper out of the guard’s hand. “How did you get this?”
“It’s none of your business!” He barked.
“It’s my fiancee’s! That makes it my business! Jalam snapped as he snatched the picture out of the unaware sentry’s hands.  He needed to make sure, even though deep in his heart, he knew that it was.
Jalam felt the searing pain of a blunt instrument hit his head. As he fell, he heard the crashing of the jar of oil on stone, and his heart sank. His eyes took in the cosmos and he knew no more. 
 
. . .
 
Night had fallen when Jalum awakened next. His head was throbbing and he tried to sit up but he felt like a bag of sand. He groaned and heard footsteps. He tried to speak, but his voice was gone. 
“Lie still, my friend. They really beat you up bad.” The deepest bass voice said through the shroud of blackness that still surrounded him. “Quiet now, and rest. I know you have many questions, but I will answer them when you are well enough to understand.”
A cloth of refreshing coolness was draped over his head and he slept. He dreamed as well. He dreamed that he was searching for Riona in the prison complex, going from room to room, and all he could hear was constant knocking. 
 
. . .
 
Jalum groaned as he opened his eyes. His surroundings were swimming in front of him and his head was still hurting. He waited until he could see shapes before trying to sit up. Once he did, he was nauseated, but he pulled himself to the wall and braced himself against it, closing his eyes, for his vision had began to melt again.
“Oh, my head.” Jalum opened his eyes again once he had steadied himself. His vision started to clear, and he started to see shapes, even though he was so badly injured. “Where am I?”
“Easy my friend. They beat you up pretty bad.” Jalum heard footsteps again and felt two strong arms encircle him and prop him with a pillow. “Do you remember your name?”
“Yes. I am Jalum…Jalum Roxba.” He panted. He could see colors now, but there was this black ball that he couldn’t seem to look around. Where was this person? “Who are you?”
“I am Baki.” He said. His name sounded quite forward and wondered if the man was like that. His vision was clearing enough so that he could see that the ball in front of him was actually a person and he was smiling. Jalam had never seen such dark skin, before and he had seen many different types of people when he went to the harbor. “Where am I? The last thing I remember was talking with the guards at the gate. We had talked about how they got a picture that my fiancée had made. Then, he beat me.”
“You picked a bad time to visit this country, my friend.” Baki sighed. “As did I.”
“Why did you come to Ludor, Baki?” Jalum asked. He’d ask anything to keep from passing out from pain, exhaustion, and hunger. He didn’t know how long he had been out, but he was famished. 
“I had heard that people were starting to believe in the Creator. In my country, we have worshiped Him for centuries, and I was sent to see if I could guide them in any way. We thought that we would be welcomed.” Baki sighed. “A group of us were captured just as we entered the main gate.
“That’s a shame.” Jalum said. “How long have you been here?”
“A year.”
“Oh, How long have I been out?” Jalum asked.
“Three days.” Baki said. “You must be hungry.”
“Hungrier than you can ever know.” Jalam said.
“I can. Remember, I was there once. Hold on a moment. I’ll get something for you.” Baki said as he crouched down to look under his bed
What is he doing? Why isn’t there a little food in this room? Even in hotels there used to be a little food as a gesture of hospitality. “Baki, I have to ask. Where am I?” The room was beginning to form around him and he the feeling he was getting wasn’t good. 
“You are in prison, my friend.” Baki looked up from what he was doing and then cocked his head to one side. “Ah, I don’t believe it! The guard is bringing us food! We have to be quiet though. Otherwise he won’t feed us. He’ll pass us by.”
Jalam nodded. His head felt swollen like a child’s kick-ball and he wished that he could get some .Alora root or even some Alora tea. It would alleviate his pain. Every part of his body seemed to be aching and he began to wish that he heeded his parents’ wishes. Baki must have had good hearing, for as Jalam waited, he could hear the squeaking of a cart wheel. A flap opened at the bottom of the door and two trays of food were pushed in. The flap lowered with a clang that seemed to reverberate through the young man’s head
“Here.” Baki placed the tray on the bed next to him. Jalum could see some sort of ground meat, potatoes, and some sort of mashed vegetable. There was also a cup of steaming liquid. What’s going on here? This can’t be the same prison that I toured with my parents. They were fed well and besides, they just had a new dining facility built! Something’s not right here! Evil is surely at work in this land!
8/”Thanks Baki.” Jalam smiled weakly. “Who says grace?”
“You are of the Faith then?” Baki asked.
“Yes. Ever since I was here with my parents a year and a half ago.” Jalam replied. They said grace and as he spooned up some of the ground meat, he spoke again. It tasted awful, but he didn’t care. It was food. “My betrothed took me to church for the first time and I accepted the Creator into my heart.”
“She must be a wonderful lady for you to love her so much.” Baki said, 65/as he too started eating. 
“Yes she is. I pray that she’s all right.” Jalam said.
“If she believes in the Creator, then she’s probably in here.” Baki said. “I wouldn’t have looked after her, since she’s female What does she look like?”
“She’s about five feet three inches tall, slender, and has long flowing black hair. Her eyes are the bluest you have ever seen. Almost like mountain lakes.” He smiled, remembering how she looked both in the sunlight and in the moonlight.
Baki’s brow furrowed in concentration. “Yes, yes, I do believe she’s here. She was at one time in the Woman’s Camp, but she’s not there anymore.”
Fear gripped Jalam’s heart and it began to pump furiously. “Is she all right?”
“I do not know.” He replied. “I only know that she is here. I can find out for you if you like. You say her name is Riona?”
“Yes.” Jalam said.
“I hate to break the topic, but don’t eat all your meal.” Baki said.
“Why?” Jalam asked. He was feeling much better now, but still hungry. He had only finished half of the heaping plateful and was still hungry.
“They might not feed us for many days.” Baki said as he took a square container that had some food in it and handed it to Jalam. “This is your food container. While you are in this room, this will be yours. I saved you a meal from when they last came three days ago.”
Jalam’s stomach turned. Ugh, three days ago? Where was this state-of the art facility that was just built a year ago? “Um, Baki, I have to ask you a question.”
“Go ahead.” He started scooping his food into his container, which was empty.
“They just built a dining hall for this prison a year ago. Has something happened to it?” Jalam started following Baki’s lead, even though he still had a void within. 
“It’s still there, but it’s mainly used by officers, although when dignitaries come, they allow us to wash up, give us new uniforms, and bring us to the new place. They make it look like we’re living in the lap of luxury, even though we’re not. Rooms are cleaned and wheelchairs are brought out for the infirmed. 
“That’s sick.” Jalam said. “They must be afraid that we’ll use that time to collaborate with each other.”
“You don’t really get it do you?” Anger pulsed from Baki “They don’t care about what happens to us. They would rather us die than feed us anything. If it weren’t for the rules that the Union has given us, he would have just executed us long time ago!”
He stalked over to a table where a jug of water and a basin was sitting as well as two clay mugs. He snatched up a mug and poured the clear liquid into the mug, some of the contents splashing over the rim. He swore as he put down the jug. “Even our water is precious. It’s only filled once a day.”
“That’s sick.” Jalam said as he replaced the lid on the container. “Who’s taken over now? What happened to King Jalcom?”
“You really don’t know, do you?” Baki sipped at his water and sat on his bed. “Six months after you left, the king’s advisor, Sadal began to realize that he, the king that is, believed in the Creator as well. He was furious according to the Story Songs. Within a month or so, he had convinced the whole army that something was wrong with their leader and had him imprisoned.”
“That’s awful.” Jalam handed Baki the container so he could hide it for him. “Ok., now why would we have to be finished so quickly?”
“Do you hear that?” Baki had cocked his head to one side, listening for something. Jalam listened, but heard nothing.”
“No.” Then Jalum heard the squeaking of an unoiled cartwheel, the kind of cart that served beverages, deserts, or even took away dishes. “Wait a minute, you mean the cart?”
“That’s it.” Baki placed the now empty trays on the floor and shoved them through the flap. This section takes about a half an hour to serve the meal. Then, by the time they come back around, they expect you to be done. Otherwise, they come in and beat you.”
Jalam sighed and shook his head. In Comar, the country of his birth, this was unheard of. He prayed that somehow the ruler of Ludor would see reason. For now, he had to learn of his new way of life. I should have waited like Mother and Father said. Will I ever get home? Will I ever find Riona? Is she safe? He decided to ask Baki about her, but waited until the guard had picked up the dishes. 
“Baki, have you heard of a woman named Riona?” Jalam asked.
“I’m not sure. Tell me about her.” He said, his bed creaking under the wight of his mass.
Jalam’s sight had returned fully, and so he took in his surroundings. He was in a little room not much bigger than eight square feet. Two beds made out of metal had been crammed into it, and at one end, there was a dirty window, and in front of it was the stand on which sat the jug that Baki had obtained his water from. It was worn and the paint had faded. Clearly, the officers had removed what was here, and replaced the furnishings with inferior goods. At the other end was a large metal door enforced by iron bars. At one time, the doors could be opened or closed at will by the jailers so that conversation could take place, but now, both doors, wooden or otherwise were kept shut. Near the stand was a zimot, a kind of radiator, which, in winter gave the place heat. Humph, knowing these people, it won’t come on. Ok., what will I tell him?
“Well, Riona is about five feet six inches tall, has long flowing black hair with golden highlights that come out in sunlight and extreme moonlight. Her eyes are the deepest blue that I have ever seen and she is so beautiful! She has a wonderful personality full of life and love. Have you seen her?”
Baki consentrated for a long time, his brow furrowed in concentration so much so that Jalam thought that when the man would stop, the folds would still be there. “Riona, Riona. Yes, I do believe that I have seen her, and I must admit that I have been attracted by her beauty. Yes, she is all right Jalam. She has had it hard until she found out about our system, and was in the Woman’s Compound up until three days ago.”
“Then what? Where did she go?” Jalam asked, his heart catching in his throat. 
“I don’t know mon.” Baki shook his head. “I could find out for you.”
“How?” Jalam asked.
Baki gestured to one of the walls, that, until Jalam hadn’t realized, had a series of numbers and letters on it. “This is Mithrim’s Code. It is a series of knocks on the pipes that he developed so that we may communicate.between each other.”
“Why haven’t they caught on?” He asked.
“Baki grinned. “They foolishly dismiss it as a problem with them, and we have taken advantage of it.”
“What happened to Mithrin?” Jalam asked as his eyes scanned the chart. “Is he still around?”
Baki shook his head sadly. “Sadly, no. They executed him not long after he created the code. His last request to his friend was that it get passed around as a way of spreading hope.”
“That’s brutal.” Jalam said. His head was starting to pound again so he decided to lay down again. “Tell me of your life here then., 
Baki helped him lay back onto his bed and then sat on the end. “All right. I think you should know. That way you too shall survive. First of all, most likely the warden will come to look at you and get my opinion about how you are doing. Keep your eyes down, even if he mistreats you. Many people haven’t done so and have spent the full three months in the Hole. Some have spent more than that, though. Hopefully you will only be down there two months, but I won’t guarantee it.”
“I hope you’re right Baki. For now, for as long as I’m awake, help me learn that code.” Jalam said.
“Certainly.”
 
. . .
 
Several hours later, Baki heard the guard insert the key into the lock and the cell opened. “This would be the Warden Jalam. I will help you to stand.”
“Thanks Baki.” Jalam braced himself as best he could against the pain he knew he would have to face. Baki nodded, and slowly Jalam stood. I’ll stay nearby. I know he’s going to collapse. He’s going to be poked and prodded.
A man dressed in officer’s clothing stepped through the doorway and into the room. His immense stature commanded an even bigger presence which seemed to fill the room. I know you are one of us Sir, but I can’t help hate you. Even so, I do pray for you. Your will, of course will be done, even though I don’t like your methods. 
“Strip down to your underwear.” He said curtly. Baki watched Jalam undress. Poor Jalam. He looks so uncomfortable, and I don’t blame him. I was once like that when I first came. I wonder, how did the other inmates fare during their inspection? I can’ t find out now, since they would be nearby.
“Excellent.” The man’s expression softened a little as he looked on. “You did that quickly. You will go far if you obey.”
“Yes sir.” Jalam replied. His head was low, just as Baki had said he should have it.
“Turn around.”
Jalam turned around, exposing the unusual amount of red, blue, and yellow marks on him as well as bright red welts and blisters. They heard the man’s breath inhale sharply. Ah-ha! Vaydek will get in trouble for this, I’m certain. He is the leader of the shift when Jalam was brought in. In a way though, this does not make sense. The man has never shown concern before, and yet he has now. Does he really care? I can’t help but wonder. 
“When did he awaken?”
“This morning, just before noon meal. He had been here three days, lying here unconscious Sir.” Baki replied.
“Did he eat his food?”
“Yes sir, all be it slowly. He is very weak.” Baki replied. Forgive me of this lie Creator, but I must make sure he survives for you. There is something about this man, and I know that you have something planned for him. What, I do not know, but I am thankful that you do.
“I see. I will allow him to stay here for a few more days if you think he needs the rest.”
“It is up to you, but yes sir. He told me that his head hurts and he gets vertigo every so often.” It wasn’t a lie, for Jalam’s form was starting to sway ever so little. Baki leaned forward, ready to catch his friend if he needed. “He is not well enough to be moved, I think.”
Baki watched the same procedure that he had seen many times before. The warden poked and prodded Jalam’s body all over, and the young man tried not to flinch, but the ordeal was taking its toll. Creator, if this man doesn’t stop soon, I don’t know if Jalam will make it. Then, just as Baki thought the ordeal would be over, he poked Jalam in the ribs, sending the man to the floor. Before Jalam hit the floor, Baki was there, catching him and easing him onto his bed.
His eyes blazed as he tried not to look at the officer. Anger was roaring through him now, and he had visions of doing things evil, things that he hadn’t thought of doing to people in a long time, like wringing the man’s neck. How could you do that? I don’t think you are of the Creator if you can justify doing that! You’re scum! You’re below scum!
The officer seemed to be watching him and barked at his attendant. “One week’s stay here and no more! Duration in Solitary, two months!”
“Thank you Sir.” Baki watched the two men leave the room and once they had, heard the lock as it chunked over. 
“You did it Jalam.” Baki grinned even though Jalam couldn’t hear his words. “He might even send us some medication.”


© 2008 Michelle Earl


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

295 Views
Added on February 12, 2008


Author

Michelle Earl
Michelle Earl

Edmonton , Alberta, Canada



About
Michelle Earl lives in Edmonton Alberta Canada along with her husband and fish. She writes primarily fantasy with a Christian slant and poetry, although she is thinking of writing a cookbook someday... more..

Writing