Soulless Eyes

Soulless Eyes

A Story by Lexi Nicole
"

The beast followed her every move with soulless eyes.

"

And the beast stood before her, threatening and menacing. It followed her every move with soulless eyes.


She saw her reflection in those eyes
She watched it watch her back.

               

The beast moved forward in the darkness, clawing at the air with dagger-like nails. It was trying to catch her. She ducked and dodged and made herself as small as she could, because if she was too small for the beast to see than perhaps it would leave her alone.


In a dark room with nothing but the beast and the walls
She had no place hide so she did what she knew best:
She cowered
.

               

Shivers ran up and down her spine, dashing up her arms and snaking down her legs and playing her vocal chords like a harp. Her song was released into the air, terrified and desperate.


She screamed until her throat was raw
She screamed until the beast smacked her hard across the face
And howled at her and scratched at her and forced her to shut up.

               

She pressed her back against the wall and slid down until she hit the ground. She looked down and could feel those soulless eyes drilling holes into her head.


Those eyes always watched her
No matter what she did, where she was
They were always there staring her down.

               

The beast’s hands found her in the darkness. They grabbed her wrists tight, held them over her head. She wanted to scream again, but no sound came out. Fear still held her fragile heart in its grip, but she was tired. Her initial panic had left and she didn’t want to fight anymore.


The beast howled at her again, louder
Telling her that she was weak
Telling her that she was hopeless
Telling her that she would never escape.

               

She felt something cold on her arm but she didn’t allow herself to look at it. That would make it real. A gentle cackle floated to her ears, mocking her. She shook her head as if that could make everything go away. She felt one of the beast’s claws touch her chin, lift her face so that she was staring into his eyes.


She knew she could not escape him
She knew he would never let her go
She knew his soulless eyes would always follow her.

               

She breathed out a winter breeze, cold and careless. She felt a stinging on her arm. She bit her lower-lip, trying to keep the rain from falling, but it was already wetting her face. She wiped the tears from her eyes and slowly stood up.


His eyes followed her as she moved across the room
Watching her, mocking her.

               

She shut her eyes when she came to the looking glass. She did not want to see the truth. She swallowed hard, though, as she realized that the beast would not let her wear her shroud of lies.


He passed through her and settled behind the looking glass
And he smirked to himself because he knew that now he owned her.

               

She tilted her head down and opened her eyes and stared at the cut on her arm. Angry and red, it looked like a mouth that was shouting her. She shook her head, as if to clear it. She re-focused on that angry wound, on the glistening red river that poured from it. She shook her head again, as if to erase the image from her mind. She then lifted her head and focused on the looking glass.


And her reflection stared back at her
With the beast’s soulless eyes.

               

 

She knew in an instant that the beast had swallowed her whole. He had trapped her inside a living nightmare and would never let her go.

© 2009 Lexi Nicole


Author's Note

Lexi Nicole
I just kind of started writing and this is the end product. Comments and crit appreciated :3 I'd love to get your thoughts on this. ^^

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

i love it. it sort of makes me think of some thing i wrote. ill have to post it. also is the story a metaphor for rape. thats what i got. sorry if thats not it. its real good though. i felt her fear.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow! This is beautifully written with depth. I think this is perfect. You don't have to expound it or make it longer, otherwise, it would defeat the purpose of this piece. I like the metaphor and its images. A brilliant write.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Interesting, but I think it's missing something. It needs to be longer, maybe more descriptive. I like what you did with the italics though, really adds to it. I also like that metaphor for her movements being like the weather, that was pretty cool ^^ nice job.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 15, 2009
Last Updated on June 21, 2009

Author

Lexi Nicole
Lexi Nicole

NY



About
Live. Love. Write. I'm 20 years old. I've been writing since I was 4. Writing is more than just a hobby. It's my passion, my drug, my therapy and my life. twitter.com/snarkvenger iaintbegginw.. more..

Writing