To Write

To Write

A by Lexi Nicole
"

Writing is the passion of the writer. It is what she cannot live without.

"

writing:/n/:a literary composition or production; the profession of a writer
But what is writing in the eyes of the writer?

 

Writing is the outpouring of a writer’s soul.
Writing is the most h-o-n-e-s-t self portrait a person may create.
Writing is the writer’s heart ripped from her chest and tattooed on the paper.

               

A writer does not simply write a story. She paints a picture. She makes a world and opens the door so that others may see her art. She does not make up characters. She makes them her friends. She learns their names and their strengths and weaknesses and she tells their story for them. She introduces them to the guests who accept her invitation and step through the threshold and into her world.

               

A writer leaves a piece of herself on every page she writes. She is vulnerable with every sentence she scribbles on the paper. And yet, at the same time, every word she lets fall from her mind makes her strong. She releases her thoughts. She lets the weight of the world drop off her shoulders. With ink as her binding, she traps it on the paper. She can conquer the world.

 

Writing is a way of life.
Writing is not a simple hobby.
Writing is the drug and the therapy.
Writing is the passion of the writer. It is what she cannot live without.

               

A pen, to a writer, is as vital as a lung or a heart. Take it away from her and she may cease to live. Her pen is her enabler. It allows her to paint worlds you could never fathom and characters who are just as real as you. Her pen is her key to a world all her own. When she scratches it over the paper, guiding the ink into words, she is making art of the most pure and beautiful kind.

 

Writing can never be /stopped/.

               

A writer does not suffer from writer’s block. She simply has too many thoughts swimming in her head to pick only one to write about. A writer lives with insomnia because her thoughts are not restrained by time. They run around her mind at all hours, pounding against her skull, begging to be let out. A writer is wide awake at two in the morning, sitting at her desk and working furiously.

               

Writing is a powerful force.

               

A writer does not wait for a muse to whisper in her ears all the things that must be put to paper. She does the work herself. She unhinges your mind so that her ideas can find their way into your head. A writer uses her work to make you think. She bends reality and makes you open your mind wider than you ever thought you could.

 

Writing is /e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g/.

 

© 2009 Lexi Nicole


Author's Note

Lexi Nicole
For everyone who eats, sleeps, and breathes writing, this piece is for you.
I'm not exactly sure what genre to put this in, but this is pretty much just my thoughts on what writing is. Comments appreciated :3

My Review

Would you like to review this ?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I absolutely loved this. Every word, every thought, every message is so true and so full of passion.

Ahh, this is a piece that every person should read and reflect on.

But: "her thoughts are no restrained by time." Did you mean "not?"

Wow. This was great. One of my favorites. Possibly even number one.

It was beautiful!
~Lauren

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I didn't really find anything that I could write a review about. It was great.

If I had never known what a writer was, and I read this, I would instantly know what it was. You described it in great detail.

:)

Posted 14 Years Ago


-
Yes - this is a wonderful description of a 'writer'.
Could and should be in every dictionary like this, because this is exactly what it feels like.
Never will anyone else understand born writers...
Thanks for this fabulous elucidation of the functioning of those strange and oh so complex beings called 'writers'.
Kudos!
-


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Loved it all and it is soooo true..however having children can affect the amount you can write..being a writer.. I know cause I had a period where I could write very little.. working more than 1 job at times.. having to entertain and help with schoolwork.. lucky to sometimes get 5 hours sleep! Either way I am back at it.. full steam ahead! I agree with bluessadmood to a point.. writing has become a capitalistic venture for many.. I so far am not writing for money.. I will not lie.. if I could do it..I will cause I would love to do this full time and everyone does need to live! My poetry on here is not for monetary dreams.. I do not dream of being rich either.. I am rich where it matters to me.. in family. I do breathe it.. even when writing stalled.. I would be daydreaming and had endless ideas floating around.. in everyday surroundings as it is not something you can stop... creativity abounds! Thank you so much for sharing! =)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
There isn't really anything to critique in this piece, unless someone wanted to debate opinions as to what it is to write. Seeing as that is just debating personal opinion, there isn't much need for it. I think the true value of your piece is in learning what writing is to you, which is what your piece essentially is. I think It's interesting for this kind of perspective to be shown because it can both comfort those who similar qualities as well as allow people to see the differences others take in the approach to writing. If you desired to make this piece have a more universal tone, I would suggest you change the pronoun "she" to something gender neutral. I assume that "She" is more natural for you to use, but using "She" makes the piece a more personal anthem rather than a general anthem.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Although your whole piece is constructed from acknowledged truths, this part in particular resounded with me most.
.......
A writer does not simply write a story. She paints a picture. She makes a world and opens the door so that others may see her art.
.......
I'm left inspired. ^-^
Very well done.


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't even know what it is to not write ..I just do it as it is me and your words ring true in so many ways..it's almost hard to believe that some people can live without writing .


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this is amazingly true in everything single way and im sure many will agree...consider that its 1:30 and i just took a short break from writing to read this im gonna have to say the part about insomnia is my favorite...but u took a writers passion, mine yours and every other writers and expressed so well...especially by saying that a pen is a necessity for us to live...that was great. this was absolutely wonderful. great job!
love you,
tallulah

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is simply beautiful! Never would I have thought to write such a piece of work! Great great job.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I liked how you brought the readers attention to your writing by by aligning it to the right side instead of the right. I often can't sleep because of a story begging to be written. Thanks for the tribute♥

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yup. That's it. :D

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1188 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 13 Libraries
Added on August 25, 2009
Last Updated on August 25, 2009

Author

Lexi Nicole
Lexi Nicole

NY



About
Live. Love. Write. I'm 20 years old. I've been writing since I was 4. Writing is more than just a hobby. It's my passion, my drug, my therapy and my life. twitter.com/snarkvenger iaintbegginw.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..