Reflections on a road to nowhere

Reflections on a road to nowhere

A Story by hoyt
"

There is a road in Bryson City NC, that goes into the national park, through a 400 ft tunnel, and just ends. In the early 70's they stopped building it. It is called the road to nowhere. I disagree.

"

     I am at the end of the tunnel on a road to nowhere. But walking and sitting on top of the tunnel’s entrance and looking at the forest and the view, I see it is a road to somewhere. Somewhere beautiful because the road just stops and leaves nature alone to its own pleasure. The sky is blue and the sun is bright, and it is rather warm for February. It is suppose to snow tonight or tomorrow,..we will see . If it does, the wind will pick up with the dropping temperature and escort the clouds as they sail in.
   For now, it is very peaceful. Only a slight breeze and an occasional chirp as birds speak to one another.  But right now, ..silence.  Serene and still.
After a pause the breeze picks up again and dry leaves wake from their slumber and tumble aimlessly on the ground, lowly chattering as their dry steps take them to another peaceful spot until the next breeze comes along and shuffles them again.  
     The barren trees stand majestically still, though you can sense  life in them.  Even in their winter rest they seem to stand guard of the mountains, watching the homes of the birds and squirrels, and any other creature that desires to peacefully dwell there.  It’s  not long before they wake and stir, and get dressed in their green garments and breathe deep the sunshine, drinking the cool rain as the celebration goes on though the summer. The magic of creation as new young voices are added to the feathered choir that sings from the limbs decorated with leaves and flowers.. Bees attending the flowers, sharing the pollen ensuring the celebration will continue.
     The teeming of life is displayed in full in the hot summer days  We don’t have to see blooms in motion to know they show up. They move in their time, opening and dancing a slow dance to their own song. We are blessed to see them fully bloomed at the peak of their performance. But, for now, the forest enjoys stillness. Nature is patient.
 For these moments I thank the forest. Thank it for sharing its stillness, reminding me, my soul, of the depth we share. Is easy to see, apart from mans distractions and striving for things.
     The peace is overwhelming. Actually overwhelming isn’t the right word. To overwhelm is to overpower, beyond ability to resist. That isn’t how true peace is.  So, no, overwhelm is not the word, rather peace cradles my soul here.  In this tranquil forest, peace cradles my soul like a child, nursed and warm, the fresh air my milk, and sunshine my blanket, birds singing a lullaby.  I stopped writing for a moment. Before I realize it over an hour has passed. Just watching the forest,.. Surrounded by silence so pure at times you’d swear you could hear a butterfly’s breath.  Just listening is intriguing  in itself, the power of pure stillness,..to move you…feel more aware, …whole…serene.
Even when I leave to go back to my truck, back to town, my home, life we make,  I cherish this moment.  Stillness is the lush meadow in our soul. The place we need to make sure we take time to close our eyes and lie in, wherever our body may be.
Then the dancing of the soul comes easily and flows, with life’s songs playing,  poetry it’s lyrics, and each breath and heartbeat the music, …colors everywhere!…

© 2010 hoyt


Author's Note

hoyt
Just a draft of some thoughts I jotted down on a peaceful day in February.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well, these are beautiful jotted-down thoughts. This piece let's the reader be a voyeur into your "private sanctuary". Your use of metaphors is really outstanding. Lines like:
... feathered choir that sings .. really wonderful. This is a place I would find to be most peaceful and inspiring. Thanks for the glimpse into this part of our world!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Writing from an author with such an attention to detail and attunement to the natural rhythms and happenings; is always such a pleasure to take in. Thank you for taking the time to jot down these stray thoughts- what a beautiful scene you paint for us!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I am reminded of a description about a "lifeless" desert I once read...the viewer of said desert reflecting on the beauty of even the smallest of insects that made the desert their home.

Why do people constantly say that those paths that lead us into nature are paths to "nowhere", when in reality the paths to the cold metal and concrete cities are more akin to a dead end that the warmth and beauty of the Earth?

This was a very beautiful reminder that we are natural creatures and that there is so much beauty around us if we take the time to return to the land and just experience what our ancestors already knew: the world is a lovely place.

Excellent write, Hoyt.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is great stuff, hoyt. Indeed, that road went somewhere; it went to the kind of place I'd like to go. Your writing skills are excellent.

Posted 14 Years Ago


If it does, the wind will pick up with the dropping temperature and escort the clouds as they sail in.

Stillness is the lush meadow in our soul. The place we need to make sure we take time to close our eyes and lie in, wherever our body may be.

just picking a couple of favorites from a favorite as a whole! some beautiful, fine writing here!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A well-written draft at that. Great descriptions and perfect flow!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Well, these are beautiful jotted-down thoughts. This piece let's the reader be a voyeur into your "private sanctuary". Your use of metaphors is really outstanding. Lines like:
... feathered choir that sings .. really wonderful. This is a place I would find to be most peaceful and inspiring. Thanks for the glimpse into this part of our world!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like how you write, like when you explained the word Overwhelmed.
This is a wonderful story you have penned. Pulled me in to see this event.
The bees, the trees just the wonderful scenery. Well written ^_^

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

471 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 26, 2009
Last Updated on January 7, 2010

Author

hoyt
hoyt

Rockledge, FL



About
HI!... :-) ".."Look in thy heart and write" is good counsel for poets; but when a poet looks in his heart he finds many things there besides the actual. That is why, and how, he is a poet." ...C.S... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..