Dear Dad

Dear Dad

A Poem by zaneybear

Dear You,

That's all you'll ever be, a name with no face is all that I can see.
I wish I could see the man who stood before me years ago,
who held my hand when I got scared and tucked me in at night.

Now I've grown up and that love turns to fright,
afraid of your drunken rages, never knowing when they'd end.
When I lost my papa, you your dad, something changed,
you haven't been the same since we put him in that grave
is it because he left us and now doesn't even have a marker for his name?

I'm taking the time to write this, because I don't know how else.
We use to be so close, but now we've drifted apart.
I wish I could say I love you again but it wouldn't be from my heart.

This is the only way I can get you to listen to my mind,
is if I speak to you in combinations of rhyme.
I'm hoping this works and you put down the beer forever this time.

 

-Me
             

© 2013 zaneybear


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
DJ
Alcoholism is such a sad "disease", it tears apart families and breaks children's hearts. I have a friend who is still broken from suffering years of abuse because of alcoholic and drug addicted parents. Parents like those make me feel thankful to not have any parents. Purely because the worst pain is suffered by children whose parents are the ones who hurt them. An ultimate betrayal. Nice writing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

zaneybear

10 Years Ago

honestly, without my parents having done anything to me, I wouldn't aspire to be anything in my life.. read more
DJ

10 Years Ago

That's a positive and inspiring way to look at it, very admirable. Your welcome.
zaneybear

10 Years Ago

thank you soooo soooo much :)



Reviews

Whew! Thought this would be painful to read...My kids were taken far enough where I don't get to see them often as I'd like...after reading further, but my both my parents drank and fought so much that I don't recall my childhood, mostly. A blessing I would gladly bestow on the needy.

I feel ya here

Posted 10 Years Ago


Very sad im so sorry you have lost that connection with your dad.
I can kind of relate as i don't live with my dad anymore and im still not usto it.
its like half my family got split up in the move sucks when the people closest to you seem like there drifting further and further away, even harder when its family.

I was touched by this poem, has such a sad story line to it and its a great poem.
Writing from the heart makes for the best poems, and its the way true writers write. :)
Well done enjoyed the read


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

zaneybear

10 Years Ago

thank you so much, and thank you so much for taking the time to read:)
cimmy wuv xxxooo

10 Years Ago

your most welcome anytime :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
DJ
Alcoholism is such a sad "disease", it tears apart families and breaks children's hearts. I have a friend who is still broken from suffering years of abuse because of alcoholic and drug addicted parents. Parents like those make me feel thankful to not have any parents. Purely because the worst pain is suffered by children whose parents are the ones who hurt them. An ultimate betrayal. Nice writing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

zaneybear

10 Years Ago

honestly, without my parents having done anything to me, I wouldn't aspire to be anything in my life.. read more
DJ

10 Years Ago

That's a positive and inspiring way to look at it, very admirable. Your welcome.
zaneybear

10 Years Ago

thank you soooo soooo much :)
Alcoholism affects every member of a family and it really tears a family into a million pieces. I liked the overall theme of this, but I am not sure who the Dear You is, whose Dear Dad it is, whose papa and the you's dad.. all of that left me pondering.. if this is a letter to your dad, then who is the papa you lost.. can you see the confusion? Lovely poem despite those few confusing points.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

zaneybear

10 Years Ago

the you is my dad, the papa is my grandfather, papa was his nickname what we called him.
Ravyne Hawke

10 Years Ago

Oh, I see.. maybe leave an Author's note then that papa is grandfather..
OMG I can totally relate to this... my mum is an alcoholic and it tore my childhood apart. I know this pain well. I have no good memories to share of my family, nor my childhood. A very emotional read for me, one that will stay for a long time. I am sorry for your pain. Writing is a great way to let things out and you do that very well hun. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

zaneybear

10 Years Ago

thank yuo so much for taking the time to read and review, you are like my favorite person to read fr.. read more
Broken Wings

10 Years Ago

Your welcome hun, I like reading your work, as you say we relate very well. So glad I 'met' you. - L.. read more
zaneybear

10 Years Ago

me too thank you so much deary

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 5, 2013
Last Updated on August 5, 2013
Tags: broken family, depression, alcoholics, alcoholic, family, issues, depressed, fathers, father, grave, death, scared, night

Author

zaneybear
zaneybear

About
Trong xã hội hiện đại ngày nay thì việc có rất nhiều cạm bẫy và cám dỗ đã làm ch.. more..

Writing
Golf Golf

A Story by zaneybear


Closure Closure

A Poem by zaneybear