The Frozen Heart

The Frozen Heart

A Story by Gemma Elizabeth
"

Lilith must decided what means more to her - Blaine or her freedom.

"

‘Not another step.’

            Cursing, Lilith turned to face Blaine.  Thanks to the candles spread around the cave, she saw him immediately.  He stood not ten feet away from her, leaning against the cave wall, arms crossed against his chest.  Shaggy blonde hair framed his face and those green eyes of his were fixed upon her.

            Lilith didn’t question how he had appeared undetected.  The dark was Blaine’s element.  No one could cloak themselves within it as he did, not even she. All he needed was the barest hint of a shadow.  She did wonder what had taken him so long to get to her.  She had been searching this cave for over an hour, barely avoiding traps and dead ends, all in the hope of finding the legendary Frozen Heart. Only now that she had it within her sights did he appear.  Typical.           

‘You can’t stop me, Blaine.’

            He pushed himself from the wall and walked towards her.

            ‘I knew you’d eventually come here.  I just didn’t expect it to be so soon.’

            Lilith forced herself to stay still as his warm scent invaded her senses.  He always smelt of apple pie.  Shaking her head, she reminded herself to stay strong.  This man was her one weakness.  At least she’d soon be rid of him. 

Determined not to show her inner turmoil, she tilted her chin upwards, meeting his gaze head on.

‘You will not stop me.’

His hand reached out and brushed against her cheek as he tucked a strand of raven black hair behind her ear.  A shiver went through her.  He laughed at her reaction.

‘Are you sure?’ He teased, ‘It seems all I have to do is touch you and you melt.’  He leaned close. ‘Just as you always have and always will.’

Her fists clenched together.  She would not hit him.

            ‘Am I just some form of entertainment to you?’ 

            On second thoughts, she didn’t want to know.  Turning away from him, she started towards her goal.  Fixed around the neck of a statue so life like, it looked like a real being frozen in time, was the jewel Lilith sought.

A pink sapphire cut into the shape of a heart and framed by silver, this necklace was beautiful.  That wasn’t the reason Lilith wanted it though.  No, she craved the power it held. 

She had taken no more than three steps when Blaine grabbed her wrist hard and pulled her to face him again.  Gone was the amusement and in its place was anger.  Lilith smiled.  He was taking her seriously at last.

‘I will not let you do this, Lilith.’

‘You haven’t got a choice.  I’m doing this.  Nothing you can do or say will -’

  Blaine captured her lips roughly with his, cutting her sentence short.  The sheer force of the connection erupted a fire within her and she was powerless to do anything but match his punishing kiss with her own.

Without breaking the connection, Blaine pulled her to the dirt floor and she welcomed it.  How could she not when her body screamed to be connected as their lips were?

Straddling him, her hands dove under his shirt, running hungrily across every muscle of his torso, licking the flame of her desire further.  When his hands did the same to her, she groaned and arched her back, breaking the kiss.

 ‘That’s it my love,’ he whispered sitting up to recapture her face with his hands, ‘Burn for me.’ 

He pressed his lips back to hers and she melted into him, her body aching for more of the fire that only he brought.

She whimpered as yet again, the connection between them was broken.

“Be mine.”

As if cold water had been poured over her, Lilith felt the desire die; a mixture of fear and anger replacing it.  He’d almost had her, almost made her forget why she was here.

‘I will not submit to you!’ She screamed as she swung her right fist into his jaw.

Blaine’s head whipped back and she took the chance.  Scrambling to her feet, she ran towards the Frozen Heart, tears running down her face.  She didn’t want to feel for him anymore; she was too close to falling for him completely.  If she did, she’d never be free.  Her curse would see to that.

Would that be so bad? A little voice whispered in her head.

Yes, damn it! It would only take Lilith to relax her guard, to allow herself to fall in love and the curse would be triggered, tying her to his side forever.  How could she do that when she was so unsure about his feelings?

The Frozen Heart was almost in her grasp.  Another few steps and she’d be free.

‘Why is being tied to me so bad?’

The pain in his voice stopped her in her tracks and made her turn to face him.  He was still on the floor, cradling his head in his hands.

‘Why is loving me a fate worse than death for you?  Why would you rather be dead inside?’

‘I won’t be your zombie.’

‘That’ll turn you into a zombie, not me!’ His voice broke and so did her heart.  She needed to end this before she felt anything else for him.

Turning away from him, Lilith took those last few steps.  Reaching out, her fingers traced the pink rock.

‘Maybe but I’ll have my freedom.’

Her fingers hesitated over the clasp as an image of Blaine flashed across her mind.  She turned back to him. It was his fault she couldn’t take it.  His presence was distracting her.

‘Why are you still here?’

She watched as he slowly rose to his feet.  Running a hand across his face, he whispered three words she never thought she’d hear.

‘I love you.’

Her hands dropped away from the jewel.  She stared at Blaine across the dim cave, her heart pounding.  For a moment, she was frozen.  It wasn’t till Blaine opened his arms to her that she came back to life.

 

 

© 2011 Gemma Elizabeth


Author's Note

Gemma Elizabeth
This was my 1000 word short story assignment

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It had to be done in 1000 words though i REALLY wanted to add more haha I'm thinking of expanding it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Taking a shot on a random read was worth it. Its got intrigue, definitely moves and just when you think so sort of all out battle royal was gonna break out between you obviously powered characters they lay down and get nasty.
Where's the rest?


Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

382 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 6, 2011
Last Updated on June 5, 2011
Tags: Fantasy, Romance, Love, Decision, Pain, Slave, Shadows

Author

Gemma Elizabeth
Gemma Elizabeth

Crewe, North West, United Kingdom



About
Recently graduated from a Drama and Creative Writing course, I find that I'm unable to write XD more..

Writing