Against The HourGlass

Against The HourGlass

A Poem by icelandicblue

Her few words hung and
dripped like candle wax,
creating intricate patterns
upon long bouts of silence.

Speeches were useless-
unnecessary diatribes
filling uninhabited space,
overcrowding destitute minds.

She knew the value of a handful
of well-placed phrases,
each a puzzle piece, positioned correctly,
conveyed an abundance of meaning.

Brevity, for everything worthwhile
was paired against the hourglass,
leaving so little time to fritter away
just to hear the timbre of her own voice.

© 2013 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What melencholy and yet such passion. This feels like the voice of depression. A dark passenger quietly taking the wheel. Your words flow beautifully together drawing the eyes towards the end. Though I am not one to read poetry out loud, it literally made me want to hear my own voice...just to make sure I still had one. Very well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

What a beautiful review. I am humbled by that.



Reviews

A few relevant or well thought out words is better than hot air so to speak. Love your turn if phrase . Lovely write.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Ha! Thanks so much.
I don't know why I must smile at this. You really hit a truth here.
My favorite line was actually the line that puts it all in perspective.
"Brevity, for everything worthwhile"
Thank you for the gift of your time here. The read was brief and worthwhile!

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

And thank you for your review. I am happy you liked the poem.
Good one. Love the last stanza

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much for reading. Glad you liked it.
Dear Icelandicblue

I wished to come back to you, my friend, and spend some time reading more of your writing and in so doing to help rather than hinder you in, I hope, constructive and measured balance.

You know me well enough to understand how I tend to review.

In counter fashion to the brevity of your poem and to which it refer (however often I look at the definition of the word 'brief' in a dictionary) the meaning only ever seems to apply in how I write but not in how I review - that with a smile at my own expense. I write brief but review long!

So to my review:

1) Structure: Four stanzas of four lines each. Whatever style might be formally applied to the form means little to me. It immediately lends the whole a semblance of carefully thought through shape. Four quatrains:

2) Rhymes: No defined structure. But reading carefully and also out loud, I hear a degree of neat, yet loose, internal rhyme, nonetheless powerful for being sporadic.

3) Rhythm: Ah now here this is plenty, albeit with no strict pattern. There is no need to read out loud to feel a steady and endearing beat.

4) Punctuation and grammar. You have chosen to punctuate full and normally. Whilst often not observed by others in their writing (not a fault just a valid observation) I find that full punctuation is often a more elegant way of approaching a poem. A personal Bravo!

5) Vocabulary / allusion: There is an immediate richness in your mode of self expression. Well chosen deep and meaningful words often in allusion which enhance the attraction of the piece.

Words like: 'diatribes' 'destitute' 'fritter' 'timbre'

Allusions to 'candle wax' and 'hour glass'

6) Meaning and favourite / relevant lines:

This is one of those pieces where I find you as writer to add a degree of the opaque to their poem. You do not assist the reader with any form of explanation. Rather, as with any poem in a published anthology, you leave the reader to their own devices.

The meaning is yours to own.

It is for the reader not so much to try and guess your meaning, but in the end place on the poem their own meaning however unrelated to the writer's actual intention.

So how do I read this piece?

I think I shall avoid guessing yours but instead apply the breaks and figure my own reaction. I shall comment on each stanza in turn.

First stanza:

'Her few words hung and
dripped like candle wax,
creating intricate patterns
upon long bouts of silence'.

Apart from the beauty of the words and the elegance of the allusion, what words, patterns and silences are you talking about? Unclear on first read. Perhaps on that read I as reader hope that the meaning will become clearer as the poem progresses.

But my immediate reaction?: 'Either in oral speech or in writing your words are few, intricate against a backdrop of the otherwise silent'. You draw me in to find answers.

Second Stanza:

'Speeches were useless-
unnecessary diatribes
filling uninhabited space,
overcrowding destitute minds'.

Again speeches whilst they are often oral often originate in written form. So are you talking written or oral? I see the former in your meaning or at least in my interpretation.

When I review I often want to look at dictionary definitions of word to find, enhance meaning. There are two key words in this stanza and this is a dictionary definition of each:

Diatribe: A bitter or violent criticism or attack; denunciation;

Destitute: Lacking something: lacking a particular quality

So you say attack is useless against those who are lacking in quality?

So what sort of attack against whom is useless?

Third stanza:

'She knew the value of a handful
of well-placed phrases,
each a puzzle piece, positioned correctly,
conveyed an abundance of meaning'.

Here you seem to suggest that be it oral or written one delivers more meaning by saying less.

The more circumspect, the more meaningful.

By contrast volume may simply be long winded ill thought through attack.

Less is more.

But in being so well worded, you also seek to puzzle!

Clearly by now you mean this poem to be a puzzle difficult to elucidate.

Together with your pointed, well selected words you seek to occupy higher ground than meaningless lengthy words from those who may seek to be aggressive.

Fourth and last stanza:

'Brevity, for everything worthwhile
was paired against the hourglass,
leaving so little time to fritter away
just to hear the timbre of her own voice.'

Here either you seek to confuse most or rather I end up feeling rather more confused as a reader. Instead of resolving your own puzzle in the end, you leave your final words hanging to keep the reader guessing.

My own inference?

There is something of the colloquial 'I would have made this shorter, had I had the time'.

Writing longer can take less time than keeping your words brief.

As a piece of self-critique, I often feel my writing takes more time to perfect it and make every word count, rather more than in my reviews which are long because I do not apply the same rule.

I do not thereby mean to imply that my reviews are less heartfelt and meaningful. It is just that they adopt different approaches.

So brevity, which takes some time allows you the opportunity to achieve quality or depth in writing?

Definition of timbre: Musical tone quality: the quality or colour of tone of an instrument or voice.

The key to timbre and to the whole of this piece therefore is writing long doesn't take that much time and is lower in quality and higher in quantity than the deliberately brief.

But still I wonder at your meaning.

Is this a generic reference which compares what you do to what others do?

Or is it a specific reference to how others behalf be it on this writing site or any other.

I would not wish to ascribe the latter meaning to your poem. I cannot say. But it must at least be the former.

I agree with the former sentiment, however much I may adhere to it in my own writing, but fail to do it in my reviews.

However my reviews never represent diatribes or 'violent criticism'

They seek rather to be balanced and where adversely critical carry with the comment a tenderness and a duty of care to the writer whom I wish to assist in review rather than hinder.

7) Overview: A richly worded piece of brevity which actually achieves the rule that the whole poem seeks to teach. I find it well worded and attractive. As for meaning, I have said what I am able to say and no more. But in its most generic the words are not lost on me.

And in this I find a mastery which in its opaqueness and brevity may serve a better purpose than the long and entirely clear.

It is its own brief puzzle to pick up your own words.

I hope you find some merit in this review, which at the least gives you one single reader's personal reaction.

In all friendship


James Hanna-Magill





Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Oh James you honor me with such an in depth and rich review. You also ascribe much more complexity t.. read more
James Hanna-Magill

10 Years Ago

Icelandicblue, My pleasure and thank you for your reaction to my commentary which gives me a clearer.. read more
icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

LOL James, you wouldn't be you if you did. ; )
Her words bring solace to many a confused mind, without wasting time it feels like she captured and intertwined me till I could actually hear her voice.. only to realize it was my own reading your poem. Great job, the way you've written this sucks the reader in and its brilliant

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Hi Keegan1 Good to see you. Thank you so much for that lovely review.
The imagery and figurative language in this is amazing !
The first stanza is captivating, loved it !
The power of language indeed.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much for the read and the comment. I will be sure to check out some of your work.
SamanthaSweeney

10 Years Ago

My pleasure :D Thank you !
What melencholy and yet such passion. This feels like the voice of depression. A dark passenger quietly taking the wheel. Your words flow beautifully together drawing the eyes towards the end. Though I am not one to read poetry out loud, it literally made me want to hear my own voice...just to make sure I still had one. Very well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

What a beautiful review. I am humbled by that.
Mind what you say and the time that is always ticking away. There's sadness in this poem as well as an important lesson. Sooner or later we run out of time...

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Time is finite...we just don't really believe that all of the time. Thanks so much.
I started cutting to paste my favorite lines and had to stop because I realized I was about to cut and paste the whole damn thing in the review box xD That first stanza, though...hoo-doggy...that was killer. You killed. Wicked pissah xD

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Oh yes it is. It is alive and kicking. I'll meet you there anytime!
KAOlmsted

10 Years Ago

Deal ;-) I love Legal...love love love it. Let's invite Frieda too :-D
icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Sounds good!
A lovely commentary on the value of economy. Some great lines here, I especially like the impact of few words leaving indelible marks (candlewax). Makes you consider what you say and hope the patterns you leave behind are also beautiful in their intricacy.....

CM.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

If only I could practice what I preach! Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like it.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

563 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 17, 2013
Last Updated on May 17, 2013

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Here lies Steve Here lies Steve

A Poem by Angi