Monument to the Heroes of the Revolution

Monument to the Heroes of the Revolution

A Poem by icelandicblue
"

A bit of history-got a new student from Novosibirsk today

"
A culture born of sacrifice,
peasants turned comrades
equally sharing the miseries
of the revolution.

A common grave, a monument
and school children who came
to look and steel themselves
beneath the cold hammer and sickle

that swung over their heads
as they pulled the party line
to school and back again,
bellies filled with meatless stews

eschewing the glory of the worker
while the Central Committee members
shopped in Paris and schooled their
children in the decadence of the west.

Walls have long since fallen but
the Monument to the Heroes of the Revolution
stands unchanged while trees have grown to create
a surreal and serene setting upon bones

that still clatter in the ears of history;
a social experiment bathed in blood
and the forfeiture
of generations
simply noted as a footnote in failure.

© 2013 icelandicblue


Author's Note

icelandicblue
The Monument to the Heroes of the Revolution is a memorial located in the very center of Novosibirsk, Russia.Originally, it was a place where 104 fighters for the Soviet Revolution were buried in a common grave on January 22, 1920. A monument was erected and officially opened on November 7, 1922. By the mid-1990s it had become neglected and it has not been modified. As a result, this is arguably one of the most authentic and best preserved examples of an original untouched Soviet era historic site.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a solemn reminder of the the millions of people who have suffered, starved, and died under the hands of Communism. Even more sad is the fact that we are modern-day witnesses to the very same (i.e. North Korea). Even sadder than that is how so many willingly bind themselves in the chains of a government that promises them everything for nothing, which marches us surely toward the same end. This is what happens when people are looking for a savior outside of themselves and are willing to abdicate personal responsibility and freedom.

I can still hear Obama talking about "shared sacrifice," but it seems the only ones who have been sacrficed and have sacrficed are the American people. While jobs are lost and more and more people are sucking off the government feeding tube, he's busy partying with Jay-Z and Beyonce, golfing in Hawaii, and visiting with Jay Leno and David Letterman and the women of 'The View.'

And then I remember the words of Ayn Rand, "It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master."



Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

What a marvelous response! I am sure to read this more than one time you can be sure! The quote at t.. read more



Reviews

stellar write - stark and surreal. There is so much of history to which we are never privy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

So true...history has many faces. Thank you so much.
And how beautiful it is, you spoke out here Anne, this is a rich piece, I connect totally with, through the many Russian friends I have, and they always call the country after the fall of communism "A wild country" things, and rules, are hard to find back, and there is some chaos, although, there is hope... A revolution can do so much to people, and a whole country... still now, there is much to debate over, if you have seen the news, ;) This piece touched me, and the way you describe the true feelings, of the person in your write, do even more... it's almost like I watch a true good documentary/movie by your words. So well done, and inspired you were by this new student... thank you for sharing. A great piece.

- Elisa

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Elisa, thank you so much. Things changes but history remains reminding us that in the end we are onl.. read more

10 Years Ago

You're welcome dear Anne. This was a great write. :) xx
The human side of a ideological political system. Those in the hierarchy can leave the clutches of the regime. They can imbibe of all the pleasures in other cultures while their boot holds down the masses. It is a "do as I say, not as I do" sort of situation. The masses sacrifice while those in power are showered in riches. Yes, things have changed there now, but how many generations will it take before the children of the children who suffered have bounced back? So many lives were lost. So many lives were ruined. A powerful tribute, Blue. Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks Lydi. You are right there is always a human side to whatever ideological political system tha.. read more
I understand what this piece is talking about, since I was born in Moscow. This is very well written. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

I am pleased that you found it well written and clear. Thank you so much for commenting.
This is a solemn reminder of the the millions of people who have suffered, starved, and died under the hands of Communism. Even more sad is the fact that we are modern-day witnesses to the very same (i.e. North Korea). Even sadder than that is how so many willingly bind themselves in the chains of a government that promises them everything for nothing, which marches us surely toward the same end. This is what happens when people are looking for a savior outside of themselves and are willing to abdicate personal responsibility and freedom.

I can still hear Obama talking about "shared sacrifice," but it seems the only ones who have been sacrficed and have sacrficed are the American people. While jobs are lost and more and more people are sucking off the government feeding tube, he's busy partying with Jay-Z and Beyonce, golfing in Hawaii, and visiting with Jay Leno and David Letterman and the women of 'The View.'

And then I remember the words of Ayn Rand, "It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master."



Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

What a marvelous response! I am sure to read this more than one time you can be sure! The quote at t.. read more
Great history lesson!! THanks for sharing :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

You are welcome Mark.
A very enlightening poem written with your usual flair, Anne. Your last stanza was particularly effective. You have a special talent for writing verse about important historical events. I really enjoy your work a lot!

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks Joyce- I truly believe history does not have to be boring. Thank you so much for reading.
Your words are so raw and so real...my reviewing skills have not great tonight because I have read several poems of pain and mourning tonight, but this is an amazing piece. You should be proud of this one, as you should be of all your work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

You are one of the most enthusiastic and supportive people who comment on my work. I truly thank you.. read more
kublakhan27

10 Years Ago

Always a pleasure...you are a great friend and a great poet :)
With communism in its purer forms, it assumes an ideal human; so to buy its ideals, one must presuppose that the capitalist system created our current sociological state and not the other way around--in short the tendency for one to oppress another. It would seem very clear from the experiments with communism to date, it results in increased oppression. (To be clear, I speak of communism and not social democracies) Strong intellectual write, IcyBlue.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

And I do agree with you. Had I been born in a different era I probably would have been a Socialist m.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

678 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 14, 2013
Last Updated on November 14, 2013

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..