Clockwork Spirit

Clockwork Spirit

A Poem by icelandicblue

Within the clockwork mechanism
of nature my gears turn, tired, worn,
they grind in the hope that the master
clockmaker might make my heart beat again

beyond the automaton of my being-
locked away in a coal bin of my own making:
sequenced, encoded and functional.
A muted spark in this elaborate but simple form

craving the spectacular waterworks of emotion
in limber and graceful movements, seeking
the linchpin of humanity among crystals and springs
that patiently await the return of my misplaced spirit.


© 2013 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Too often we are locked into things without feeling. The cold hard truth does nothing for our hearts, nothing good, at any rate.

I'm reminded of one of my favorite passages from Jane Eyre, “Do you think I am an automaton? — a machine without feelings?"

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you for sharing that passage! You are right the cold hard truth is hard to swallow isn't it. T.. read more
Much as with clocks, there is an elegant beauty in the day in, day out churning of the gears and the relentless living of life. We often fall into the trap of searching for the spectacular. But the beauty is in the fine craftsmanship that keeps up ticking, keeps our gears churning forward, day after ho hum day.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

So true, but wanting more is a human affliction I think. Thank you so much for reading and reviewing.. read more
There are times the psyche needs to be on a soujourn from stress and frustration. Life happens to us every day and we feel we have no control. Actually, we have some, but not enough if you ask me. During these times we have to be detached and reticent....or our engine will overheat. We all get worn out at times...just like any machine. When the time is right, the emotions we come back and even if there is a waterfall of tears, they will cleanse the spirit. The metaphor you employ is splendid, Blue. Find those crystals of sweetness....seems you and I are on the same wavelength this time of year. Great poem. Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much Lydi- I think that it is that time of year that affects us so.
Going through the motions with robotic disconnection, our bodies alive but our hearts and minds dead. Sometimes it seems as if we are passively observing our existence, rather than engaging in it directly. It's in these periods that we may look to others to turn our clockwork keys and restart our dormant hearts. A lovely metaphor icelandicblue. Magnificent :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Hi Matt,
I always look forward to your reviews. Thank you so much for such an insightful one. .. read more
And they said they could make me a boy … way to rock this allegory. Your craft is so fine here …

'craving the spectacular waterworks of emotion
in limber and graceful movements'

Just an awesome piece of work, Icyblue. Standing O.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Curtsy...and many thanks Pryde. it means a lot coming from you.
Blue you are a poet extraordinaire. This is so beautifully crafted I feel like I have to shower all the coal dust off of me. Trapped, frustrated, wanting to scream. Honestly, I feel like a hack reading this, but in a good way. That's it. Outstanding work Blue, Just outstanding.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Your review made me tear up. You made me feel that all these words we throw down on paper are someho.. read more
Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

You're Welcome Blue
once the spirit is thrown out of timing..it seems we can not catch up with ourselves...the gears grind and then grind to a halt, and we lose our momentum...fall behind...

and we want to stop ticking all together..

we wait for someone or something to rewind us...to patch up the gears and make us run smoothly again.

excellent metaphor here.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

So true...once we're out of sync it's not easy finding that rhythm again. Thanks so much jacob.

4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1454 Views
38 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on December 4, 2013
Last Updated on December 4, 2013

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..