It's Dystopia Baby

It's Dystopia Baby

A Poem by icelandicblue

I am your Dystopian girl
got a black leather vest
here at the bottom of the world,
wearing shades so I can't see the decline.

I stand in the dark and wait for nothing
under this rusted and broken street lamp.
Heat from crowded streets and hustling alleys
keeps the blood moving in my veins for now.

Lament if you need, cry if you want
buy into the creed, it's Dystopia baby
that we made by hand with our friends
we like to call misery and disease.

We're always looking for someone else
to step up to the plate but the
early bird special is apathy baked.
It's Dystopia baby, wake up and smell the decay.









© 2014 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

wearing shades so I can't see the decline. This poem has a wonderful bite to it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


icelandicblue

8 Years Ago

Hey how are you? I don't know why but I'm find of this one myself. Thanks as always.
A powerful, painful reality. Very well expressed point about the world we live in

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

8 Years Ago

I came back to read this one and noticed your review. I belatedly thank you.
Wow, Blue. This is so painfully true, so perfectly expressed. We are a world wallowing in misery of our own making...

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

That we are Rita...that we are. Thank you.
Whew! ... That's ominously beautiful and on point. And are you the Overlordess of this dystopian world?

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

LOL...they could do worse! Oh wait worse would be the point wouldn't it? Good to see you in my dark .. read more
Your writing is so delicious it makes me want the apathy, without a thought. It flows to a tight delight. You really "stepped up to the plate" with this one. I love the metaphors. It is brilliant and your words brought a loud bright smile to my face. Your mind brought this work of art together is such a delightful way. "wake up and smell the decay." Wow, I am always impressed. This is going in my library. Thank you for the great writing, once again.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much Confuser. You're a doll and thanks for the fave.
Confuser

9 Years Ago

Y/W...............................................so true. Great writing, as always.
You have an edge to this one that is brilliant for the piece. You master the art of word choice. The topic is dark, but prophetic. We're headed there if we don't change our ways. I especially love the last stanza.
"We're always looking for a hero
to step up to the plate but the
early bird special is apathy baked.
It's Dystopia baby, wake up and smell the decay." It is always a pleasure to read your writing.
Great job....

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much for such a lovely review.
Bright Ocean Star

9 Years Ago

You are always welcome. My pleasure...:) Thanks for leaving your wonderful reviews on my pieces, t.. read more
beautiful, stunning and frightening all at the same time. you don't mince your words, Blue. great lines here which I will not pick out. I'd end up rewriting the whole thing! wonderful!

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much Woody. I like your beautiful, stunning and frightening...thanks.
It's where we're heading, no doubt of that. Time for the second coming perhaps? Then again, look what we did last time. T

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

It's not just fiction that is true. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.
Oh my goodness I get a feeling for how the writing should be interpreted. But in my head (yes that would be "The Dystopina head of mine") The creation of the female image had a great allure and very attractive. Nothing wring with black leather vests at all if maybe a little sweaty. Jesus! I stoold under dark lamps waiting for nothing. In England at this time 4 pm is dark. Misery and desease that's somes favorite Tv channel they seem to have it turned on al lday long. Oh a moment of disagreement for me. "We don't need any more heros " please! everytime one pops up people feel compelled to imitate.

Really, what a great way to create a feeling. I'm not sure that I can therefore balance by saying that if you would have choosen to replace the word Dystopian for Utopian it would have made any difference.

I think the word apathy is waht turns this lines into such an incisive message.

Greatly enjoyed.

Thankyou

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thanks Rene. Apathy knows no heroes I think but others wait around for someone else to fix things. L.. read more
This is a great poem. It reminds me of a book I read once but for the life of me I can not remember the title. Was this possibly inspired by a novel? Our world is a dystopia now completely. You are very right that we should not wait around for a hero to rescue us.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

I've read them all and seen all the movies. It's a genre I've always followed. Who needs utopia when.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

732 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 2, 2014
Last Updated on December 5, 2014

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic