We Will Remember Together-Thank You Halifax

We Will Remember Together-Thank You Halifax

A Poem by icelandicblue
"

On December 6, 1917, a French cargo ship exploded in Halifax Harbour, killing nearly 2,000 and levelling 1,600 homes. Within hours, the City of Boston dispatched a relief train.

"
Memories are longer than borders between countries.
Your tree arrived today wrapped in good tidings.
She's currently being pampered, pruned and draped
in six thousand twinkling lights letting Boston know

kindness always lessens the differences
as we embrace the the kindred spirit we share,
celebrating decades and decades of good will between us,
born from the horror of that cataclysmic explosion

in a firestorm of suffering and a tsunami of heartache.
A blizzard may have covered the destruction but we were not deterred.
That day in 1917 we heeded the call and immediately
headed north to help, surgeons, nurses, water and food.

Each year when your precious tree arrives we remember together
that we are not alone in this world, that we share our humanity
in a tradition that reminds us of all that was lost in an instant
and we are forever united in the gratitude we gained, thank you Halifax

 

© 2014 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Seemed you've captured the whole devastated tragedy of that place in deepen words! Your words're, of course, drooled with emotions & the tone / harmony of remembrance - the notion of people's lost-lives. Strong sentiments!

Posted 8 Years Ago


icelandicblue

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much Adams.
There's something about the atmosphere of tragedy that seems to break the boundary of indifference and social divide. It seems as automatic as human nature to unite us and shift our gear into compassion and helping mode when disaster strikes...Reminds me of the story of Spartans and Greeks. And the tragedy of Pearl Harbor that ultimately woke up the Sleeping Giant. This is poignant write with national sentiment.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Moments of tragedy bring out the best and the worst of us. I think I prefer to celebrate the best in.. read more
I found this tribute or memory to all those lost very moving. I particularly like the line...kindness always lessens the differences. A history lesson in your writting for me. Thanks :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you free will. I agree with you about kindness.
kindness always lessens the differences ... Amen to this...

This is a great mix of history and tribute, Blue.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much Rita. It all boils down to how we react when others are in need.
Your first line in this one is absolutely brilliant. That line melts away political borders and rigid nationalism while drawing attention to the bright light of unity. Those words are a tremendous starting point for the narrative that follows.

I also really like how you blended the modern tradition with the original historical event. Your modern example of the tree really builds a bride between the past and the present. The reader really gains a true sense of the timeless kindness between the two two cities. We are also able to see how something beautiful and lasting was created from the original tragedy.

Many people talk about the Christmas spirit around this time of year. Poems are written, speeches are made, toasts are given. However, few stories embody the true meaning of unity that this one does. You've done a tremendous job of reminding us "that we are not alone in this world, that we share our humanity."

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you Clockwork. Your reply actually brought tears to my eyes. Kindness pays itself forward in u.. read more
You know I've never heard of this incident. Epic catastrophe brings the best and the worst out in people. That I do know.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank BR, that is certainly true...the best and worst.
Such a wonderful story - tribute to what we can do when we think beyond ourselves. and skillfully spun in poetic/prose form. Well done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

We are more than we appear especially when we must rise to meet a challenge. Thanks for the kind wor.. read more
Each year when your precious tree arrives we remember together
that we are not alone in this world, that we share our humanity
in a tradition that reminds us of all that was lost in an instant
and we are forever united in the gratitude we gained, thank you Halifax

Beautiful write, IcyBlue. The kinship our two countries have is a lesson to the world. Long live peace and love:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

I'm with you Pryde! Thank you.
wow! i am in awe icey .. what a fine combination of history, demonstrative ethical, humanitarian, poetic expression .. you rocked it with this one .. and it is the season .. for sure .. great, wonderful work! what can i say??! wow! into the library it goes ..
E.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Ah thanks Einstein. I have been meaning to tell you how much I love your avatar.
Einstein Noodle

9 Years Ago

it was one wild ride! ;)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
a bittersweet bit of history resulting in a lasting tribute to the goodness of humanity which seems to be in such short supply in today's world. thank you for sharing this heartwarming tradition with us in stark contrast to the daily onslaught of ugly news. i wish the media would showcase stories like this for all humanity's benefit. well done, Blue. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

I wish they would too. I think it would make us all feel more of a part of something bigger. Thank y.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

701 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 3, 2014
Last Updated on December 4, 2014

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..