The Last Word

The Last Word

A Story by Ian Crook
"

My first stab at Flash Fiction. 150 words exactly.

"

The Last Word


Once, there was a kingdom that valued words over all else. Children were read to from birth; libraries lived on every corner and storytellers were revered as royalty. Into this land appeared a spiteful demon. It’s language was coarse and it’s hatred of stories, all encompassing. It began to devour them, word by word.


At first they did not notice phrases disappearing, but within a short while, the people grew terrified as their vocabulary disintegrated. Very soon they could barely speak at all. A wiseman was summoned to capture the demon and banish it from the land. He devised a cunning trap that soon ensnared the vile creature.


The demon was furious to be caught and swore that he would have the last word, but the people were pleased with themselves and they banished him far away. Soon normality returned along with their stories, and they all lived happily ever...

© 2013 Ian Crook


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked it, both from the "children's story" aspect and also from the darker viewpoint, where it can easily be applied to instances of book burning that have occurred periodically throughout history.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

226 Views
1 Review
Added on June 6, 2013
Last Updated on June 6, 2013
Tags: Flash, Flash Fiction, Fairy Tale

Author

Ian Crook
Ian Crook

Preston, Lancashire, United Kingdom



Writing
test test

A Story by Ian Crook


chapter 1 chapter 1

A Chapter by Ian Crook