A heart-to-heart talk

A heart-to-heart talk

A Story by Igor G. Balatsky
"

from ‘The Chronicles of Starry Wanderings’

"

 

Last evening I went to the mountains and had a heart-to-heart talk with Echo. I simply told it, ‘Listen, Echo! Let’s talk to while away the time!’ And it replied, ‘The time…’


Echo was loud and quiet, transparent and mysterious, playful and rather sad. It answered all the questions it was asked: about truth and falsehood, life and death, about orange sunsets and cornflower dawns... 


We felt so great - two loneliness together! And our chat was heard by mountains. At times it seemed to me as if it were not Echo but the age-old mountains, which once had made the vow of silence, talking to me last eve...

  

When I was going to say good-bye, my Echo smiled at me and whispered, ‘Remember, man, the most precious thing is being in peace within yourself and others’.


And then I left. But Echo caught me up and asked, ‘Hey, wait a minute! Please, don’t go: I feel much better now and not as lonesome...’


The night was falling to the mountains so fast, and it was time to come back to the valley. ‘I hope to hear you soon’, I answered Echo and went down - to the people. ‘I will be missing you’, sighed Echo, fading slowly…

 

Last eve I was in the mountains and had a heartful talk with Echo. But when I was walking alone in the gathering dusk, watching the shimmering lights underneath and above, I understood that I was talking not with it but with myself. I realized a very simple truth: your Echo is always where you are.


But sometimes, having broken away from you and changed to a separate entity, it may become a source of pain in someone’s heart or cause an avalanche or violent tsunami in one of the flowering planets in the distant but painfully native constellation of Eridanus.

© 2012 Igor G. Balatsky


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a beautiful piece.

Posted 10 Years Ago


What a wonderful idea and what a great piece!!! I was reading with my most intense attention, trying to hear what the echo was telling you or maybe trying to hear my own echo!

Posted 12 Years Ago


We are individuals and yet we are part of the greater . What gets reflected or what we searching for is within. Beautifully told.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wonderful, Igor!

Posted 12 Years Ago


A beautiful poetic story, Igor. I loved this sentence:

"At times it seemed to me as if it were not Echo but the age-old mountains, which once had made the vow of silence, talking to me last eve..."

Thanks for sharing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Beautiful language. This story was, in a word, poetic. Very thought-provoking; great work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
. your words "echo" beautifully ...
. i can hear them in my own heart ...

Posted 12 Years Ago


Beautiful thought, poet-put unique as far as i know.. like a myth from the past. That distanced shadow never really disappears, it plays its roll for good or bad - just as it creator does.

'. But when I was walking alone in the gathering dusk, watching the shimmering lights underneath and above, I understood that.. '

Posted 12 Years Ago


If one could sit down with there complete equal, what would we talk about, a most intriguing thought my darling, I'll ponder it for some while.

Posted 12 Years Ago


A good way to remind us that we talk to ourselves yet are separate from ourselves. And if the separation is too great it can cause tragedy.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

652 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 21, 2012
Last Updated on March 22, 2012

Author

Igor G. Balatsky
Igor G. Balatsky

Ukraine



About
I'm nothing special. Just a stranger. In your mind. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


time tour time tour

A Poem by blueseeker