Rosenrot

Rosenrot

A Story by Deidre A. H.
"

When love transcends the barrier of language.

"

 

Unfold the image as you might unfold origami; carefully, so that you may learn the lines and details.  When you turn the crane back to wrinkled paper, you do it slowly and delicately, so you may learn to mimic the trickery it takes to turn a flat dimension into the likeness of a bird.  But try as you might, you will never match the magnificence of the scene on that warm summer hill.

 

            A young woman is waiting at the peak of the hill, sitting daintily atop the smooth flat of a cragged rock.  She has fair skin that glows gently in the setting sun.  Her deep red hair is pulled back taut, thick ringlets bouncing against the nape of her neck with each tilt and turn of her head.  Freckles highlight her cheeks and dance down and beneath the safety of her dress.  The Victorian-style garments seem to shine in the fading light, brilliant white frills highlighting the soft cream colors of her skirts and corseted top.

 

            Her eyebrows scrunch as though thread attempts to pull the middle of her forehead taut.  Her ladylike pose is shattered when her hands wring together.  She fidgets; looks left and right and even behind her.  Her concern is palpable enough to smother the scent of sleeping wildflowers around her.

 

            She is waiting.

 

            The sound of grass rustling causes her to rise and turn.  Dirt from the stone smudges the back of her dress, but she pays it no mind.  Joy blossoms in her features as she runs to greet the young man striding toward her.

 

            Strong arms pull her securely against a sturdy body.  Callused fingers massage the back of her neck, pressing her face deeper into his shoulder.  She clings to him desperately.

 

            One look at the man and it is easy to understand why she welcomes his support.  Against him she looks frail; his arms nearly hide her from the world, obviously well-built even clothed in his shirt and jacket.  Dark hair is tousled from his running to meet her; stubble darkens his face.  Even his unsettling blue eyes do nothing to deter from the imagery of strength and power . . . and possibly even a hidden danger.

 

            They are precious to behold together.

 

            “My prince,” she whispers.  Hope colors her voice to match the sunset.

 

            Rosenrot,” he replies, touching her hair.  His name for her holds no hidden dreams as hers does for him; she has earned her simple endearment, and unbeknownst to him, she has placed her childish and girlish fantasies upon him.  Perhaps it is well they do not often understand each other, for if he knew, he would feel the burden of one thousand heavens upon his shoulders.  And no man would stand tall whilst bearing a single one of God’s territory, much less what she asked of him.

 

            Or perhaps he would.  He is nothing more than a simple man, but he is also—clearly—hardworking.  If he could not be a prince for her, he would make it so.

 

            But he does not know.  There is only one phrase that is understood between them; words that resonate deep within his and her souls so deeply that even God must approve.

 

            It is not knowledge of the other’s language.  It is a mystical sensation between them; a silent bond that resides in their hearts.  Some may look upon them and fondly called such a bond “true love.”  But while to the man and woman it is, in fact, a true passionate love, both are also keenly aware the mystery of the language barrier is also a strong pull.  Not forbidden.  Exotic.

 

            He could have found true love in his town.  There are a handful of pretty girls who swoon over his blue eyes, which brighten in contrast to his hair.  Older women adore the stubble, and a few who touch him coyly comment how scratchy it feels against their ageless palms.

 

            She is not without prospective suitors, either.  Her gloriously red hair draws stares; inquiries if there is Irish in her blood.  As a child she was teased about her freckles, but as a woman the teasing has become less malicious and far more seductive.  Many a men wished to bed her between the sheets of a wistful honeymoon.  Yet none have attracted her attention so much as the man embracing her now.

 

            Stirb nicht vor mir,” he says into her ear; sweetly, with vows even marriage cannot compete.

 

            She does not smile, but her eyes and mouth express tenderness and aching at his words.  “Do not die before I do,” she echoes.

 

            The simple phrase means more than a declaration of love to the two.  It is haunting, speaking of the war between his and her worlds.  She cannot possibly love him, even care for his life, in these days of anger and bloodshed.  They should not be giving comfort to one another; he ought to drag her by her glorious curls, throw her against the rock she waited upon, and strike her down with the sword he always keeps strapped at his waist.

 

            But he could never.  And she cannot fathom the concept herself.

 

            Never shall he take her as a husband should.  Never shall she know the pleasure of his hard-working hands slipping her out of her constricting garments, or feel his warm breath against her naked flesh.  To do such would be improper.  To do such would get her killed if anyone found out.

 

            So they love in secret.  They love without communion.  And they love in spite of the barriers, for this way he may always be her prince and she his lovely red rose.

© 2008 Deidre A. H.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The whole thing, is amazing. The opening paragraph is outstanding, great job!


~Krystal~

Posted 14 Years Ago


:( :'( This makes me so sad. I really love it. Your imagery is very good; you have made it into the first cut of finalists for my imagery contest

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow, this is a wonderful story. Such an amazing write. Fabulous job!!!

Heather

Posted 15 Years Ago


Brilliant. Sheer brillance radiates this story. I have read it twice in a row just to feel the warmth and purity of the love. *sigh* ahhhh, true love. =)
Keep it up!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

315 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 8, 2008

Author

Deidre A. H.
Deidre A. H.

A Secret, WA



About
I've known I wanted to write since I was 8, and have been seriously writing since I was 11 years old. Still polishing my work before I attempt publishing. I write a variety of things ranging from li.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..