My Invisible Friend

My Invisible Friend

A Poem by Greg Close
"

I know my God is the right God, because [Holy Book] says so. I know that [Holy Book] is right because it's written by my God. This circular reasoning bugs me. So I wrote a bad poem about it.

"
My Invisible Friend


My Invisible Friend is better than yours,
the book I say He wrote says so.
And if the words I say He said are true,
What hope for the likes of you?

It's a circular dance, round and round we go.
Whose dogma will win? Nobody knows.
One thing that's tricky, and persistently so,
My Invisible Friend is anothers' Invisible Foe.

© 2011 Greg Close


Author's Note

Greg Close
Content Note: This is a scribble - a quick bit of off-the-top of my head (bad) poetry. Not polished, and I think incomplete.

Context Note: it's not an indictment of religion, religious people, religious books, religious writing, religious buildings etc. It's a bit of pent up frustration over a particular circular self-righteous and self-referential argument that *some* religious people use to claim religious superiority. Just so the record is set straight! I'm not out to offend any innocent bystanders (just the guilty ones)! ;)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is not bad poetry. I've seen a ton of religious satire attempted through poetry, and honestly, it all comes off sounding heavy-handed and trite. This, on the other hand, accomplishes through tongue-in-cheek what the vast majority seem to have failed at: it gets its point across.

Sure the words themselves are nothing amazingly original, but the way you lead people to the conclusion you want without forcing it on them definitely is. I really enjoyed this--well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

wonderful poem , do review mine one " QUEST OF LIFE".


Posted 12 Years Ago


I feel like a steamroller has crushed my face into the gravel.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well, it's def interesting. Religion will never have proof. Always faith or lack of.

Posted 12 Years Ago


oh, goodness. i feel the exact same way! talk about truly relating to poetry. d: i get so bogged down when my friends and strangers fight and fight and fight about seemingly nothing. you voice your frustration powerfully here, and i very much appreciate it. usually i ask for poets (and writers in general) to use rhyming as a chance to expand their vocabularies and create interesting and unexpected rhymes, but this piece definitely doesn't need it.

thank you so much for sharing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


The scruffy meanders make it a complete in its incomplete verse, a wander through the mind of yourself as the annoyance and confusion spill from your head and to help you see why you thrust words into poetry and with it have come up with an interesting ditty, short and simple but wonderfully versed.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yeah layered poetry here. Fantastic:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
tHe
Cute and enjoyable

Posted 12 Years Ago


I just loved it! It's witty and playful and clever. And it makes me like the poet. So there you have it. Great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Excellent! Really love this and very refreshing to read some rhymes. Worthy premise, playfully approached.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

:D This was fun! I especially liked the undertone of sarcasm, that was neither overpowering or too low. :D Great write!! My new favorite!

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1480 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on January 26, 2011
Last Updated on May 23, 2011
Tags: Religion

Author

Greg Close
Greg Close

San Francisco, CA



About
I'm a fantasy and sci-fi writer with one humongous epic fantasy under my belt and a new cross-genre dark fantasy/sci-fi space opera-ish novel in the works. I'm hoping to be published before the End T.. more..

Writing
Mujo Mujo

A Poem by Greg Close



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Tonight Tonight

A Poem by White Ink