The Enemy Within

The Enemy Within

A Story by Donna Marie Gray
"

Becoming aware that all our enemies are not from outside of our borders. These enemies have a knack for nibbling away at our very core.

"
THE ENEMY WITHIN
by Donna Marie Gray
If the citizens of the United States aren't feeling uneasy and apprehensive, they very well should be. We are at a point in our existence as a world power of facing the simple fact that we are unable to control what is happening to our own nation, and we are still trying to solve problems all over the world. It is now time for us to stop trying to be the "nice guys".
Several important issues come to mind for most Americans. The solutions are not always to our liking, but they are the only choices that make sense. Since we have been spending trillions of dollars on various conflicts throughout the past several years without calling them wars, and in reality have solved nothing, shouldn't we start to think of things that would be positive for America instead of how can be help the world?
Our economy is in a deep dive and our ability to help our own nation is almost non-existence.  Somewhere up there in the top government positions, people are planning to spend money we don't have to import children from South America to house and feed; and all the while ignoring the fact that we barely can house and feed all of our own people. What are they thinking? 
These same government people are also seeking ways to tax things to get more money from citizens who are struggling just to keep their head above water. The most recent proposal that comes to mind is a tax on people waiting in the airport for their connecting flights. Fortunately, since the poor cannot afford to fly anywhere, they will not be affected.  As a matter of fact, it is very difficult to pay for gas these days just to get around town to do necessary errands.
Thus, it is clear to see the government, who gets free benefits along with their pay, have no real concept of the hardships the rest of us are facing.  However, none of this is actually news to most of us. It isn't a matter of political party, or any of the general accusations being thrown around as to who caused what in the past.  All of our politicians are in the same club.  It is evident that what was intended to be a government "Of the people, by the people and for the people" has become a politician's dream of greed, control and self interest. 
 
It is truly an ugly and disturbing feeling to lose the pride and confidence in one's country.  It is even more so when we realize that our greatest assets are being sold out to the highest bidder.  These bidders are nations that no longer admire or respect the United States of America. 

© 2014 Donna Marie Gray


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I have written this piece as a means of measuring how the varied segments of society feel about the direction this nation is heading. Most people I talk to say they don't bother watching the news or reading the news because it's too depressing.

I guess we could ignore it and "hope" it goes away, but I wouldn't count on it. There are too many areas of obvious serious proiblems to continue to ignore and do nothing about.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

In my perspective you are on the right track. Though you may, in my opinion, be missing some of the pieces. The trillions of dollars spent on conflicts was not in vain, to multi-billion dollar corporations or the 1 percenters. It was just devastatingly crushing to the rest of our society. These groups benefited greatly at our expense. The 1 percenters and billion dollar corporations have bought our government literally. As long as lobbyists exist the people our representatives are suppose to be representing will never be heard. Because frankly, they pay better than we do.

We need those trillions of dollars to take care of our own infrastructure and not finance conflicts for the benefit of the rich that make those trillions selling us the provision to wage these wars. Though I will have to disagree with you on whether we should allow these children to immigrate here that have shown imminent danger in their own countries. The cost of this bit of humanity is barely measurable in comparison to the Corporate Welfare we give out in the billions to the rich.

The rich need to start paying their fair share in taxes. Trickle down does not work. If you do not tax the rich, they do not let their abundance overflow to the poor. They have shown us this will never happen. The end of corporate welfare alone would resolve our financial problems in and by itself, even if we did not stop the needless spending on conflicts only the rich have an interest in.

Thanks for sharing your views.

Have A Great Day


Posted 9 Years Ago


I have written this piece as a means of measuring how the varied segments of society feel about the direction this nation is heading. Most people I talk to say they don't bother watching the news or reading the news because it's too depressing.

I guess we could ignore it and "hope" it goes away, but I wouldn't count on it. There are too many areas of obvious serious proiblems to continue to ignore and do nothing about.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 18, 2014
Last Updated on August 18, 2014
Tags: Freedom, United States, working together, economy

Author

Donna Marie Gray
Donna Marie Gray

Virginia Beach, VA



About
Donna is a published author who has been writing for as long as she can remember. She entered many poetry contests as a young adult and began being published in anthologies, magazines, and books. .. more..

Writing