Your Mask, Not Mine

Your Mask, Not Mine

A Poem by Im His Daughter

People who were not single parents will never understand. I refuse to walk around or live like I am wearing a mask on my face to make others lives happier. You don't want to see me or other single parents struggle then please just leave. Leaving us just proves to us, you aren't as real as you think you are, that YOU are the one wearing a mask.
Our life may not be rainbows & roses, you may get mad at us for being negative, but it's only because in that moment, we decided, to remove those stupid masks we know you would much rather see.
If one more person or post tells me (in a subtle way or in my face) that I am not to dream or have faith in a better life & future for myself, in whatever that is, in whatever physical/mental state I am in... then you need to leave me... I make NO apologies to anyone for leaving my husband, BUT you can be darn sure I am going to dream, occupy & watch for the one who will see me for who I AM & LOVE ME FOR WHO I AM. Someone who knows what the action word LOVE stands for.
I CLAIMED Jeremiah 29:11 a long time ago & no one is going to tell me I can't have that! Without dreaming, occupying & watching, as well as knowing the limits in doing this, Jeremiah 29:11 would be a bunch of b.s. which it isn't. I may not have a lot in my life, but I know in my eyes who see me & who doesn't. God sees me; if you do, Hi! If you don't... remove the log from your eye.
The day I ever get married again (if that is something that happens) I will never look at a single parent & make them feel they have to wear a mask on their face to hide their pain, tears, fears. Yes, God can change their hearts & he will, if allowed to, but I will never expect them to have everything all hunky dory & perfect. No, I want to the real, raw, everyday tears. I want to see their coal in life & the pressure they are under, because in that you will see the diamonds they truly are becoming. You may want us to wear masks to make your life seem better, but we are not going to wear them, through our darkness, we will shine bright. You may want to wear shades.

© 2018 Im His Daughter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is a great message,and so true,i enjoyed the read

Posted 6 Years Ago


Wonderful. I am not a single parent but my daughter was and I can relate to this in my own personal experience though different. We should not feel the need to wear a mask but to be able to be ourselves. Why does it seem such a threat to some? Yes, life is hard. Tears and crying out the pain should be embraced not frowned upon.
Well done! Thank you for sharing this.

Posted 6 Years Ago


The strength in this is palpable... and you closed it with a flair that can't be ignored! I'm the product of a strong single parent, it isn't an easy task, bravo!

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
3 Reviews
Added on March 13, 2018
Last Updated on March 13, 2018

Author

Im His Daughter
Im His Daughter

Canada



About
(Sorry I don't read stories, chapters or books. I am not a critic either, I will only read poems. When I comment, I comment only on how it makes me feel. Promise no criticism here unless maybe a word .. more..

Writing