The Desisto School

The Desisto School

A Story by Imogean Tweetie
"

I was the grand recipient of lessons that had nothing to do with academics and everything to do with feelings of abandonment, brainwashing and an attempt to defile my spirit.

"
The DeSisto School 

It was not uncommon to sit amongst the childsren of aristocrats and celebrities. DeSisto was a solution to all the parental responsibilities and issues that the parents themselves did not have the time, honesty or inclination to impart. But I of course did not come from money nor the eloquence of an aristocratic or politically acclaimed family. No! I came from the orchards and backdrop of the seasonal labor worker. A product of country living in  a small farming town. The uneducated seemed more normal to me than those who would use BIG words and wear designer clothing. I realized upon my arrival that I was different. 

Since DeSisto was a boarding school, everything I knew was left across the country in my little town in Northern California. I was utterly alone... Florida's stifling humidity was different than the dry heat felt in Northern California. It seemed to strangle me as I breathed it in. My days were marked by my resistance to change and the yearning for the familiar. The only thing that remained unchanged about my surroundings were the constellations. Visible only at night, I would stair at Orian and remembered looking up into his twinkling beauty in the confines of my bedroom back home. The stars in the sky were an anchor to which I would hold onto in hopes of keeping me sane. 
I felt so small and insignificant at Desisto. It was a place that was intended to give me a better education than I could ever receive back home. Yet, I hardly remember sitting in a classroom. I remember dorm meetings that felt more to be like intense sessions of bitterness, confrontation and pain. I was quiet and remained cool to anyone that would talk to me. I felt no compassion from those that surrounded me. I only felt the sickness that came when my empathy for others would attack my own emotional sphere. I clung to my pain as if it were the only thing I could call my own.  
I never realized that my silence was a punishable act of treason. I was probed and prodded as if I were protecting some secret that I stealthily hid inside of my brain. I was simpler than that, my reality a narrative of things of my past. I would dwell on old memories of my family intact. I would transcend my surroundings by pretending I could smell the sweetness of peach orchards and taste the green onions from my grandmothers back yard. My reverie only got me into trouble as I would not speak out about all my supposed transgressions. Transgressions that never existed. When I did open ever so slightly, I was scorned as if not being truthful. My past seemed so insignificant by comparison to the lifestyles that my peers had experienced. Or so I thought. 
Students who agreed with the hostel badgering that was carried out by means of confrontation, turned to interpersonal conflicts. Students were rewarded with power over those who resisted. It was as if you would admit saying: 'Yes, I am fucked up, and it is all my fault!' you would be given favor for your honesty. I of course could see through the veil of bullshit that was considered therapeutic. Students would inevitably say or admit to almost anything just to placate the dorm parents and upper level students. The entire school was on a level system. When you arrive you are a level zero, attached to another student and no further away from them than arms length. They called this system being "leashed" as if an invisible leash stood between you and the person who you were meant to follow around. 
To be continued...
    

© 2014 Imogean Tweetie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love the way you start the tale, the depth of human minds and classess. Simple farming background and decent humble people stuck with designers wearing folks...looking forward to read more and I have to tell you something is unique and elegant about you. What I sense from your writing is pure honesty and courage...consider me one of your fan:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Imogean Tweetie

10 Years Ago

The world is full of writers, just not all of them are note worthy… Hopefully, I am. I cross my fi.. read more
The Twin Arenas

9 Years Ago

you should keep writing this. people love to read about fucked up schools.
Imogean Tweetie

9 Years Ago

Oh my story really begins much earlier than DeSisto, I have lived one hellava life. Sure much of it .. read more



Reviews

For me, it was hell on earth. I haven't set foot on the property in over 27 years, yet I'm still haunted daily.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoy your craft, you tell it well, but I will hold off on praise and review
because I hope you will share more of this interesting experience.
I like your voice,


Rossen

Posted 10 Years Ago


Imogean Tweetie

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the review. There will be more since it is my memoir… The fact that you want.. read more
  Rossen

10 Years Ago

that's the thing... that's what connects honesty is in demand nowadays.
being from one background we can really feel like we don't belong in a place like this...but poverty, less means doesn't have anything to do with intelligence...

this has the makings of a really good story, i think...

i want to see this character not only survive, but win in the end, ultimately prove that those snobs were in the wrong...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Imogean Tweetie

10 Years Ago

I really appreciate your review. I am banking everything I have on this story of mine. And, I haven'.. read more
I love the way you start the tale, the depth of human minds and classess. Simple farming background and decent humble people stuck with designers wearing folks...looking forward to read more and I have to tell you something is unique and elegant about you. What I sense from your writing is pure honesty and courage...consider me one of your fan:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Imogean Tweetie

10 Years Ago

The world is full of writers, just not all of them are note worthy… Hopefully, I am. I cross my fi.. read more
The Twin Arenas

9 Years Ago

you should keep writing this. people love to read about fucked up schools.
Imogean Tweetie

9 Years Ago

Oh my story really begins much earlier than DeSisto, I have lived one hellava life. Sure much of it .. read more
I just saw a dozen errors. Repeated words, word use with the wrong verbiage. Tis is a ruff draft, I would hate to see my ruff in print. What a disturbing thought. Thank God for editors.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2915 Views
5 Reviews
Added on February 13, 2014
Last Updated on February 13, 2014
Tags: pain, school, abandonment, abuse, love, overcome, survive, runaway

Author

Imogean Tweetie
Imogean Tweetie

Chico, CA



About
I have been here before under the name Imogean. I will write more about me later. more..

Writing