Screwtape

Screwtape

A Story by IMOGEAN
"

I wrote this letter using the same format as C.S. Lewis's "The Screwtape Letters." If you are unfamiliar with C. S. Lewis and these letters, please read the authors note before reading. It will greatly help you in understanding this piece.

"
MY DEAR WORMWOOD,
 
    It has come to my understanding that you have a lack of knowledge regarding, guilt and shame. Our Father down bellow pointed this out, which is an altogether shock and embarrassment on my part, since it is I who have been appointed to be your mentor. It pains me, that I have not yet, gone over this with you. I had assumed you understood. My bad!
 
Now, on to the issue at hand: When you have succeeded in your tempting the patient with sex, alcohol, and or drugs---enough that he has partaken and then developed a full on addiction, do not be so prematurely excited that you revel in your own success. It is not until the patient takes their last breath on earth that you should truly be experiencing the bitter sweet knowledge that the patient is truly hell bound.  
 
I have seen patients that I believed were a sure win that have gone over to the enemies camp and became more devoted to the enemies cause than most who have lived a somewhat untarnished earthy existence. Your prematurely thinking you have won over the patient, can and will cause complacency on your part. You must always be aware of this! Once the task of addiction has been established, to keep the patient's stronghold you must then utilize guilt and shame to our favor. Although be aware, guilt and shame is greatly used by the enemy in preventing, or preventing futher, any future degradation of the patient's spiritual state. Do not be fooled by the enemies approach in thinking that these tools are only to be used for the greater good. Because in reality, they will be our most valuable tool in keeping the patient within our clutches.   
 
You must clarify to the patient their worthlessness, by reiterating constantly the evidence of their sinful past ways. Point out to them all of the damage that they have caused, and not only to themselves, but to their loved ones as well.
 
 
 
They will see the evidence in their physical person over a period of successful addictions. When they look into the mirror, point out their rotting teeth and blemished appearance, for this is physical evidence and people believe things fully when proven as fact. The patient will become so overwhelmed in their guilt and shame that they will turn to the very vice that is destroying them. Addiction acts as a numbing agent to the pain brought on by guilt and shame, and its usefulness has always been proven to be our greatest asset.
 
There will be times when the enemy will win back our patient to the other side. If they are truly won back over by the enemy, they become extremely close to the enemy, and a greater threat to our cause than the lifelong devout Christian. In essence, all of our efforts transform into wisdom and becomes tools used in the enemies camp against us. You must do everything in your power to prevent this. Guilt and shame is our greatest leverage, Wormwood. Never forget that!
 
Your affectionate uncle
SCREWTAPE   

© 2009 IMOGEAN


Author's Note

IMOGEAN
I wrote this letter using the same format as C.S. Lewis's "The Screwtape Letters." The original "Screwtape Letters" was written during world war II (1941) and published in a European newspaper called "The Guardian." Much of the content in the original letters was about war and the issues surrounding those times. I have found the wisdom penned in the letters by Lewis, to be just as valid today as when they were originally penned and published, nearly 70 years ago.

Lewis's letters were more than original, in that they delivered a very Christian message, yet came from the point of view of demons. In my "Screwtape Letter" just as Lewis's, there are two characters---Wormwood, the student and nephew, and Screwtape , Wormwood's uncle and mentor. Both Wormwood and Screwtape are demons.

I felt compelled to write a modern day message about issues that are very prevalent in today's society. These issues also existed in the 1940's, the only difference is that today's world has more drugs to choose from and that are more readily accessible, also, sex is more freely practiced. I even put in a little modern day twist of language for comedic affect.

I chose this subject because, I am a drug and alcohol counselor and have vast knowledge about addiction and recovery. This was simply an experiment and I enjoyed writing it.

God Bless
Imogean~

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hello Imogen,
There are just a few corrections that I might suggest making and these have already been covered by other readers about the possessive, enemies, (enemy's) etc.

(efforts transform into wisdom and becomes tools ),
.....should be subject and verb agreement
(efforts transform into wisdom and become tools)


What great subject matter for this WritersCafe.org! The Bible has a few things to say about wormwood.

Revelation 8:11
And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

Wormwood has historically been denoted as having a bitter taste, undrinkable, medicinal, mind numbing of the drink Absinthe, but probably takes on the connotation of something that is too good to be true and eventually poisonous, like drugs, alcohol, and sexual problems. You are also looking at it from an observer therapist point of view.

Can a casual reader of some of the writings on this site be poisoned by the imagery that is conjured up by its overly specific erotic alliterations, as well could it also be possible for a therapist to be poisoned by association with their patients, unless they are immune or desensitized? I think it is possible for some to walk on hot coals as long as their feet are completely callused, but still not for very long. It is great to communicate with all people as long as the character holds up. Even grasses and trees that do not experience the wind will flatten to the ground when exposed to a slight wind after being inside an enclosure for an indefinite period of time. I have read that the rain falls on the just and unjust alike. As Christians we uniquely have a healer that we can turn to for the refreshing of our souls with affection for truth and a diligent heart but I am sorrowful for those who trust only in their own understanding.

Thank you for posting this.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I know of C. S. Lewis, but haven't read this letters...now after reading this and knowing that they inspired you makes me want to go read those too. I love the eloquent way that you've expressed yourself here. It would be so easy to simply vent, but you have risen above a mere vent to something that could be described as literature. You make your points well and the tidy little ending was perfect. Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is absolutely fantastic! I love how you've written on a topic with such conviction and passion. It's refreshing to me to see this kind of material brought out here, for all to read.
Many Blessings,
Kelly

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very interesting. I almost fell off my chair reading it so I guess it has made an impact. Keep writing I love to read your stuff.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

First, one small grammar issue:

"It pains me that I have not as of yet, went over this with you."

should say "It pains me that I have not (insert comma to set off beginning of "as of yet" just like you have one at the end. It's an adverbial clause.) as of yet, GONE (not "went") over this with you.

Screwtape was impeccable with grammar.

The theological point is sound and very in keeping with the original Letters by Lewis.

As to whether or not Screwtape would use modern phrases like "my bad", that's a matter of personal taste. I wouldn't do it, but I can appreciate the comedic effect.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

'My bad' - that made me laugh out loud. I know the book well - a great undertaking here - it could slip right into his pages. Thank you.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2388 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 18, 2008
Last Updated on May 18, 2009

Author

IMOGEAN
IMOGEAN

Chico, California, CA



About
The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, serenely, divinely aware... And this is why I write: AWARENESS... It is not in the moment that I tasted the delicacies of life .. more..

Writing
Trust Trust

A Poem by IMOGEAN



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Silent Decade Silent Decade

A Poem by Bubo