Love at First Sight

Love at First Sight

A Chapter by My Name is Brenda and I'm a Writer

Love at First Sight

 

“Why of course she can work here, honey. I can’t pay her much but she’s kin and we have to look out for our own, don’t we?”

 

Pearl marveled again at the kindness of Mrs. Beasley and Mildred. Mildred hadn’t batted an eye when Pearl had asked if her sister could share her room. Pearl didn’t know that Evelyn Beasley and Mildred had been worried about Pearl being alone and were both delighted when Rose had shown up on the steps on Beasley’s Diner. After a few weeks observing Rose they began to have second thoughts, but though her behavior concerned them, they never showed it around Pearl.

 

“They couldn’t be more opposite. Pearl is as meek as Moses and that Rose is as bold as brass. I’ll lay you odds that one catches a husband before my Miss Meow has her next litter.” Mrs. Beasley and Mildred were sitting is Mildred’s tidy kitchen enjoying one of their favorite pastimes – gossip.

 

“It’s good that Pearl’s sister came to be with her,” said Evelyn helping herself to another slice of applesauce cake. “It’s not good for a young girl to be without family, but I’d have to agree with you. They are as different as night and day.”

 

“Except for one thing, Mildred. Rose knows her way around a kitchen, same as her sister. Maybe better.”

 

Rose was young and beautiful. Her waitress uniform hugged her farm girl figure. A nametag was pinned to her breast: Rose. She had a fancy handkerchief folded like a flower pinned on the other breast.  As she was picking up her order, Pearl whispered, “Look what just walked in the door, Sister.”

 

Rose looked up in time to see the most handsome man she had ever seen sit down at the counter. His army cap is tilted over his left eye. His brown uniform shirt is starched and ironed but it is open at the throat and his sleeves are rolled up revealing tattoos on his forearms: “Mother” on the right arm and “USA” on the left.

 

It was love at first sight. Rose sidled over to the stranger and smiled at him “What can I get for you, soldier?” He grinned at her and responded “You on toast, darling.”

 

 

Rose turned away and treated him to the sight of her bottom waving goodbye as she walked slowly over to the coffee pot and came back with a cup of coffee.

 

He held out his hand. “Since I plan for us to be good friends I should introduce myself. My name is Virgil, but my friends call me Click. You should call me Click and I will call you Bug.”

“But my name is...”

 

He finished her sentence for her. “… Rose. I know. I can read. But you have this cute little mole on your chin that looks like a bug – so I think I’ll call you ‘Bug’.”

 

It was plain to everyone that Rose and Virgil had fallen in love. At night in their room Pearl listened patiently while Rose talked on and on about Virgil.

 

 

“He is so sophisticated, Pearl. He has lived, let me tell you. He has been all the way to California with his family. He showed me pictures of himself with his brothers and sisters on the rocks at Point Lobos.”

 

Virgil had grown up in Norfolk, Virginia. At that time Norfolk was of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the United States.  Rose had spent her entire life on Pungo Creek. She had never been further from home than Pantego until she moved to Franklin. Virgil was witty and playful with a weakness for alcohol. He had attended the University of Michigan. Rose dropped out of school in the eighth grade.  Even though they had almost nothing in common, in a few weeks they were married. Pearl stood next to her sister as she and Virgil exchanged their vows. Pearl was sure she smelled alcohol on her new brother-in-law’s breath when he kissed her after the ceremony. Mrs. Beasley held a reception for them at her diner and looked the other way when Virgil and his friends took turns sneaking snorts of whiskey. “Normally I frown on drinking but this is a special occasion.”

 

Soon Pearl was alone again. Rose left to join Virgil at Camp Campbell on the Kentucky-Tennessee line.  Her sister wasn’t much of a letter writer but her brother-in-law wrote to her frequently. Pearl looked forward to his letters. His unique back leaning handwriting was easy to spot.  His letters were full of news about their new life at Camp Campbell.

 

Dear Pearl

Your sister would write to you herself but she is too busy teaching the other wives how to make drop biscuits.  She was up half the night making curtains and embroidering doilies. I think your sister would embroider my skivvies if I let her.  She sure has jumped into married life with both feet.

If you loosen up a little, Little Sister, you’ll catch yourself a soldier too.

Love,

Click

 

Pearl guessed the real reason Rose wasn’t writing to her was that she was ashamed of her spelling. Her sister’s brief attendance at John A. Wilkinson High School had not allowed her the opportunity to master the fine art of correspondence.

* * *

After the war, Virgil and Rose moved to Norfolk and settled in a pre-fabricated housing development.  Broad Creek Village was built to house a wartime surplus of military families. It was self-contained, with schools, police and fire station, shopping center, and recreation facilities all located within its boundaries.  Soon Virgil and Rose discovered the Glory Hole – a little tavern within walking distance of their house on South Woodlawn Avenue. They became regulars.  Virgil loved to drink and most people loved him when he was drinking.    He would sing and tell jokes. Though she tried to resist, soon Rose developed a fondness for alcohol. The best times were when Rose and Virgil had a few drinks but didn’t get too drunk.  They would sing together, laugh and dance.  The worst times were when they got falling down drunk and ended up trying to kill each other. 

 

Virgil had trouble holding down a job.  He drove a Coca-Cola truck until he got fired for stealing and then a garbage truck until he got fired for fighting.   Rose was relieved when he landed a good job at the Ford Plant.  She had suspected for a while she was pregnant but didn’t want to say anything until Virgil got a job.  The night he came home with the good news they celebrated with chow mien from Ying Lews.  Rose waited until they’d taken turns reading their fortune cookies before letting Virgil know about the baby. “You’re going to have to hang onto this job, Honey, because I’m pregnant.” 

 

The trouble started right after the baby was born.  Rose became depressed. She stayed in bed, leaving Virgil to take care for himself and the baby. Sometimes Rose stood over the bassinet with her hands stuffed in her pockets – fists clinched – like she was afraid if she took them out she would smother the howling, red-faced creature before her. 

 

One day Virgil came home from the Ford Plant and found the baby shut up in a dresser drawer. “What have you done, Rose?” he cried as he cradled his daughter in his arms.

 

“I don’t remember. She was crying. She wouldn’t be quiet. I put her in there to make her be quiet.”

 

“Bug, you have to get a grip on yourself. This is our baby not a stray kitten.”

 

“I wish it was so I could drown the damn thing and have some peace and quiet.”

 

Virgil did the only thing he could think of. He called Pearl. “Pearl, you have to come help me. I don’t know what has gotten into Rose but I am afraid she is going to hurt the baby.”

 

When Pearl hesitated, he pleaded with her. “It won’t be for long. Just until this depression passes. They’ve been patient with me at the Ford Plant, but they aren’t going to hold my job forever. I can’t afford to lose another job. Please, Pearl.”

 

 



© 2008 My Name is Brenda and I'm a Writer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is very well written and I loved reading it very much. Thank you.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

339 Views
1 Review
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on February 5, 2008


Author

My Name is Brenda and I'm a Writer
My Name is Brenda and I'm a Writer

Falls Church, VA



About
My first novel was inspired by my own childhood on Pungo Creek in rural North Carolina where I grew up in a house shared by three generations. It seems it took a lifetime to write but it was actually.. more..

Writing