The Punching Bag

The Punching Bag

A Poem by Incendiary Grievances

Punch.

 

Harder.

 

Now again.

 

Satisfied yet?

 

No. Of course not.

 

You never will be.

 

You can’t be.

 

You can’t release the feelings into physical strength. When your hand connects with the punching bag, it does not transfer the pain to some inanimate object that has survived the abuse of hundreds of broken souls.

 

It’s not the punching bag that can fix your problems.

 

It never was.

 

And every time you go to it--every time you succumb to your basic instincts and try to release emotional turmoil in a torrent of physical action--you will fall deeper.

© 2012 Incendiary Grievances


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautiful clear writing . You have much insight.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well-written and clear, as always, but again, as always, the thought behind is what arrests the reader; stops her in her tracks.

There will always be a punching bag upon which we release our pain. The hanging leather one may be an ineffective substitute, but the innocents surrounding us serve as unfortunate substitutes for the anger and hurt that is allowed to fester.

What to do except confront the aggressor? Aaahh...This is something very timely for me. Thanks, as always for sharing.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

296 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 4, 2012
Last Updated on March 30, 2012
Tags: punching bag, anger, problems, turmoil

Author

Incendiary Grievances
Incendiary Grievances

About
I love rain, I love writing, I love sunflowers. Here is my escape. Words are what I live for. more..

Writing