Sentimental

Sentimental

A Poem by Ksenia Kazantseva
"

don’t let it slip away

"
Sometimes... 
You scour your memories for one that made you feel wonderful.  
You dig deep at the bottom of the time capsule. 
Longing to uncover the
‘Aha, I found it!’ - the one. 
Excited to watch everything return.
Making yourself comfortable, you press play, 
shamelessly waiting for that memory to begin. 
Anticipating the sensations to follow, 
yet they are nowhere to be found. 
The black and white picture streams brightly, 
but you still feel nothing... 
You continuously rewind noticing every detail,
in hopes the emotions will also resurface. 
That’s your favourite part. 
You think how unfair it is to be unable to experience something wholly again.
Wishing to replay, recapture, re-feel
the whole reel.
But,
Sometimes...
A remnant approaches, you are able to soak in its shred and you remember why your mind tried so hard to forget... 
nothing had ever felt so wonderful again.

© 2019 Ksenia Kazantseva


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

For starters, this is amazing! All around amazing! You have fantastically vivid imagery, numerous juicy lines, the "replay, recapture, re-feel" part is beyond words! And you also for the most part have a relatively great flow and musicality.

Things to consider:

- "Longing to uncover it for the" - first off, take out the comma at the end of the line, for the following line is a direct continuation of the same thought. Then take out the "it" and "for", as they're deadwood. In a way, "for that gem" in the previous line is also deadwood, as like the two aforementioned deadwood words, they implicitly reiterate the main message of the stanza, which is essentially the finding of a certain memory. With those five words gone, the stanza still flows well, just put a comma at the end of the first line, and that would help it.

- "Anticipating the sensations will follow" - better say "to follow" OR "what sensations". keeping the line as is lacks something in the grammar, but to tamper with its length would mar the musicality.

- The second last line would be better off line broken a bit, and ended with an "it" for flow. Also, play with this one a bit to see which you like better (in the end it's your choice), but "its hardest" lands on some rather clunky beats in the musicality - it's not at all bad, but maybe saying "so hard", despite being more cliché would smooth it out more. Again, your choice.

But overall, this is wonderful, and I would daresay whimsical too. Well done! Much enjoyed!!

Posted 4 Years Ago


Ksenia Kazantseva

4 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review! Changes made that you suggested. :) I appreciate the constructive.. read more
emipoemi

4 Years Ago

I'm glad you do. It's a pleasure to help.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

239 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 2, 2019
Last Updated on May 13, 2019

Author

Ksenia Kazantseva
Ksenia Kazantseva

Toronto, Canada



About
a glimpse into my soul. I do not give consent for my work to be copied. happy and willing to review others' work. let yourself fall into the story. more..

Writing