Worst Kind of Heartbreak

Worst Kind of Heartbreak

A Story by emma
"

can there be a worst heartbreak? or all they all equally torturous?

"
Answer me this: what's the worst kind of heartbreak?
1. Is it when you loved someone dearly, you gave your heart and soul to them, and then they leave you like you're garbage? 

His easy smile was still there, his eyes still shining and golden. How was I supposed to know that today was the end? He looked at me and the wretched words slithered out, "I'm sorry, but I think we should take a break . . . maybe try something new and see what we want later." Then he walked away, leaving me to pick up the broken pieces of my heart on my own.
2. Is it when you see them with someone else, even though they're still dating you? 

Her car was parked on the side of the road, right next to my friend Dylan's house. Curious, I wandered up to the car. I peered into the front seat and saw nothing. I looked into the back and gasped in pain when I saw my girlfriend and Dylan lip-locking. I banged on the window, jolting them out of their kiss, and I heard her call my name. I didn't wait to see what she had to say, and just left. I began running, and I ran so hard that the tears that slid out of my eyes weren't just from the breakup, but from how hard the wind was slapping me. 
3. Is it when they die suddenly, not giving you a chance to say goodbye?

Her face was pale. Paler than I'd ever seen it. Her eyes were closed, so I had to imagine the gorgeous blue they had been before her death. I stroked her cheek gently with my fingers, and the touch still sent shivers all the way from my fingertips to my toes. Maybe that was just because I knew I was touching a dead body, but I like to think I loved her that much. A stray tear leaked out of my eye and fell onto her still cheek. I wiped it away, and felt a strong sense of abandoment. She was gone, and she was never coming back.

4. Is it when you know the breakups coming, but you want to hold on anyways? 

He never looked at me with loving eyes anymore. His smile was never as special when it was directed at me, which wasn't often anyways. I could feel the awkward tension between us when we held hands, when we kissed, when we hugged. But I couldn't think about losing him. I couldn't. That is, until he told me we were no more. When he told me that we should breakup, and that he was sorry. I still couldn't believe that after everything, that was how it ended. 
5. Is it when you say nothing and let them slip through your fingers?

My heart beats faster every time he smiles at me. I blush whenever he addresses me personally, when he looks right in my eyes and says my name. His lips look soft and inviting, but of course I cannot kiss him. Can I? No, I can't. But I should've. The next day, he comes to class, his fingers intertwined with someone elses. It wasn't my hand he was holding, and I felt betrayed. But it was ultimately my fault, right? I hadn't taken the chance, and he'd gotten away. Just like that. 
So, which is the worst? 

© 2011 emma


Author's Note

emma
this is an experiment...very different than all my other stuff. tell me what you think! and what do you think is the worst heartbreak?

**Honorable Mention:] in the Meaningful Short Stories and Poetry:] contest**

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'll admit that my opinion may be biased because I've only suffered through one of them, but 5 is currently tearing me apart. And to make it worse, while many of my friends may know how to help me through breaking up with a girl, the only advice I'm getting is that nothing ever happened between you two and that I shouldn't be sad. So that's my perspective.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I think three is the worst especially if he/she were special to you. I'm currently experiencing a worst case of 5 with hints of 1, 2, and 4

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love the format of this piece. It's definitely unique. I think between the 5 different kinds of heartbreak you have listed here, every one of us has felt at least one of them. I'm impressed by how much you were able to portray in each of the little scenes. Great work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
y&r
I love this. It is amazing. It is really emotional and sentimental... Ahh. Simply. Amazing. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is very interesting and true.
I think 3 is the worst type.
XD

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very interesting and unique. Never read anything like this, and it's intriguing. Nice job! :-)

Posted 12 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

idk but i think break up on paper after the winter formal would have to be the worst. especially when you have to see them every day. and when you hold the pain inside without ever letting it out. until one unexpected day when the tears just refuse to stop. that has got to be the worst.

Posted 12 Years Ago


this was an amazing piece and yes different then what you normally write but i'm glad you decided to take the chance... also the worst heartbreak all depends on what you have gone through and how each has made you feel... i have gone through the fifth one and it really sucks but i have also felt the fourth one and really all break-ups suck...

Posted 12 Years Ago


Captures my attention, and very descriptive, great write. :]
I would have to say 5, but it really depends if you've ever felt one of the heartbreaks, I think honestly.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2464 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on December 2, 2011
Last Updated on December 11, 2011

Author

emma
emma

Canada



About
i'm emma and i watch a lot of TV and movies and read a lot of books and come talk to me about that i would love to talk with you also: i write things every once and a while more..

Writing
Fly On The Wall Fly On The Wall

A Poem by emma



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..