Anansi, S1 E1

Anansi, S1 E1

A Screenplay by Isa Ruffatti
"

Arriving in Anansi, a city where freedom of expression is the law,Journalist Cosima Espinosa witnesses the city’s PM shot,and must join forces with Det. Yuki Beulens to find the who,why,and stop a war

"
TEASER
INT. ORWELL TRAIN STATION
FADE IN:
TITLE: ORWELL
The Orwell Train Station is minimalist, monochrome. Cold. Only one thing stands out: a life-size 3-D projection of MAURICIO NESUF's image unto the platform wall.
In his 60's, overweight, bearded and wrinkled, Nesuf projects a benevolent father persona.
Three POLITICIANS, fat, lavishly dressed, and well-aware of their position, stride confidently below his gaze, chatting. They are flanked by a pair of young TROOPERS leisurely holding AK-47s.
Tired, bags under her eyes, COSIMA ESPINOSA, a petite Hispanic woman in her early 20's walks behind them, quickly adding make-up to her face. Their footsteps echo loudly on the pristine floor. She blinks repeatedly.
They reach a platform, where an empty train awaits them. Inside, a screen shows a reporter.
In the background is the ANANSI PRIME MINISTER, handsome, in his 30's, a la Emmanuel Macron meets JFK, grins from the entrance of the Anansi Train Station. He is flanked by two BODYGUARDS, strong and poised for action.
EXT.ANANSI TRAIN STATION-DAY
TITLE: ANANSI
The Anansi Train Station is packed, loud. Its worn yet majestic exterior has the air of a building that has seen and continues to see action.
Journalists stand barely a meter away from the Anansi Prime Minister, trading uneasy glares with the Bodyguards. Civilians gaze up expectantly at the Prime Minister, others protest in the background.
REPORTER (V.O.)
...the Anansi Prime Minister Justin
Voltsmann, prepares to board a
train that will take him to
neighboring city Orwell, where
peace talks are set to begin
2.
tomorrow...
INT. ORWELL TRAIN STATION
The three politicians sit, each taking a random seat in the empty carriage. The train starts moving. Cosima sits near the door, eyeing the Troopers.
Timidly, one of them speaks up.
TROOPER 1
If I may, what are you going to do... there?
(Points at the screen).
POLITICIAN 1
Peace talks will begin in Orwell. We witness their parliament making decisions in the holy light of democracy. Report back.
The other two glare at him.
POLITICIAN 1
Can't keep the population too ignorant.
Politician 2 rolls her eyes.
POLITICIAN 2
I bet you they won't pass a single
law this week. Freedom of expression, they call it.
POLITICIAN 3
Why are we even talking to them? We were so close to crushing them fifteen years ago.
POLITICIAN 1
Their leader is young, idealistic,
and he has charm. Ours must be getting old.
The others boo. Politician 3 laughs. Behind them, Cosima's eyes widen and turn to the troopers- such talk is treasonous.
POLITICIAN 1
That's why he has us. Dress shoes
on the ground. Not to be fooled by
a pretty face.
3.
All except Cosima cheer, even the troopers. She can't, she's petrified. Politician 1 notices.
POLITICIAN 1
(To Cosima).
And who are you?
COSIMA
J-j-journalist. I-I have a w-work
permit.
(Holds a piece of paper
up, just briefly).
Her work permit reads "DENIED". Cosima turns her attention to the screen.
Politician 1  looks her up and down. Despite being well dressed, her inquisitive gaze and unbrushed hair don't quite spell comfy elite. He motions Trooper 1.
EXT.ANANSI TRAIN STATION-DAY
Chanting of "We will not negotiate with the enemy" fills the already saturated air as the Anansi Prime Minister struggles to give a speech.
ANANSI PRIME MINISTER
…Peace in our time is necessary. But I promise you, the interests of the
Anansi people will be heard…
A yell is heard, "Bullshit!". This is RAUL, a taxi-driver in his mid-20's. He is holding a poster that reads "Anansi First". His left hand is in his pocket, grasping at something.
This appears to embolden the protesters, who join in: "Bullshit! Bullshit! Bullshit!".
EXT. ANANSI TRAIN STATION
ANANSI PRIME MINISTER (O.S)
...And their values upheld. We have a voice, too. For good or evil,
ours is the speech that cannot be
silenced!
A shoe is thrown.
4.
A second shoe follows. The Prime Minister moves to avoid both. He's safe. Both bodyguards run into the crowd and pin the shoe-thrower, who appears to be Raul, to the ground.
The crowd goes wild as the Prime Minister waves. Many wave back mockingly, others throw flowers and yell 'Good luck!'.
A shot is heard.
5.

© 2017 Isa Ruffatti


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

384 Views
Added on November 15, 2017
Last Updated on November 15, 2017
Tags: screenplay, pilot, episode, anansi, freedomofexpression

Author

Isa Ruffatti
Isa Ruffatti

, El Salvador



Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Story by Isa Ruffatti


Chapter I Chapter I

A Chapter by Isa Ruffatti