Convenient

Convenient

A Chapter by R. L. Hill
"

Do certain people ever just give you the willies? They might be the devil in disguise...

"

I have flipped a coin two-hundred and eighty-seven times in the past six hours. I think it is just bad luck that it has not once fallen face up. Story of my life - tail side up, every day. Never any luck. Ever. Especially today; I have had a total of six customers enter the convenience store. One girl came in for the restroom and did not buy anything. A couple entered for a pack of wraps and condoms - stoners, both of them. They reeked - a rancid combination of body order and bud. Third fellow took his time near the beer. Fourth and fifth both purchased cigarettes: Marbelo and Camel (menthol). This sixth guy, though. He is not my usual type. Clean-cut with aviators; Dr. Green, he calls himself. Introduced himself to me as he wandered through each of my three aisles. His steel-tipped alligator boots clinked across the tattered aluminum flooring.


"You'se gonna by somethin', Dr. Green?"

"Depends. What are you selling?"


This guy...What am I selling? By now, he has wandered my aisles twice.


"Well, what are you looking for? I'se got some snacks and cold brew. A pack of any flavor gum."

"No...that won't do."

"Uh...then I'm not sure if I cans help ya."


Dr. Green gazed into the cooler where the water and sodas rested. He creaked open the door and gazed some more. I have flipped my penny two-hundred and ninety-four times. He selects a basic bottle of water and clicks his way to my counter. His nails are manicured. He smells like expensive cologne - Calvin something or other.


"That'll be a dollar thirty-seven."

"How much for your soul?"

"My, my what? Brotha, you need to..."

"How much..." Dr. Green removed his sunglasses, piercing me directly with two solid grey eyes. "...for your soul?"

I gulped. "My...um...Look, Mister, I'ms not quite sure whats yer gettin' at, but I'm not sellin' my soul. You'se gonna have to buy your water or leave."


The coin tinkered to a stop on the counter. A fly buzzed near my ear, but I barely noticed. This man, this Dr. Green was staring straight at me with those eerie eyes. He did not leave. It got quiet. I felt sweat build in my armpits and around my neck. A trickle of it sent goosebumps behind my ears. I could not look away. His manicured fingers began to strum the counter. Thrum thrump. Thrum thump thump. The constant beat mirrored my heart as nerves crept from my stomach into my chest. A realization struck me. He must have escaped a loony bin or mental ward.


"Let's make a bet."

"A..a bet?"

"Flip the coin. If it lands on tails, you can keep your soul. If it lands on heads, I can keep you for eternity."

"Look 'er, man. You're effin' crazy..."

"Flip the coin!"


His voiced cracked momentarily with barely controlled fury. I am not sure what I did to encourage his wrath or spark this necessity for his crazy game, but I did not want to press any more of his buttons.


"Damn, s**t...okay, okay..."


In my mind, I am thinking. This sixth fellow here is batshit crazy. If I play his little game, he will just buy his water and move on. If he does not, then I will just call the cops. Everything is going to be okay. Besides, I have been flipping tail side up all day. Luck do not fail me now. Though, I cannot help feeling that I am about to have the worst day of my measly existence. The coin is somehow already in my hand. I plunk the penny upwards with my thumb. I wince, not wanting to look. It lands with a tinker. My eyes drift to the counter. Heads up. My eyes drift to Dr. Green's face. A smooth curl turns his lips into an insane snicker with no sound. My hand instinctively attempts to slide beneath towards the emergency button, but an iron grip steals my chance.


"I win."



© 2017 R. L. Hill


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That's creepy. I don't want to meet him, I've no idea who he is but I'd smell bad news from a mile away with him. Nope not playing. U am not picking up what you're puttin down I refuse to buy what is being sold. Though I get the feeling my reaction to that bet would be I already sold my soul to the Grace of God. That or I'd say, Cristo and see what happens. Why? Because I am no, Johnny Ringo.

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very creepy. Whew - not sure what I would have done in your characters situation. Good story.

Posted 7 Years Ago


That's creepy. I don't want to meet him, I've no idea who he is but I'd smell bad news from a mile away with him. Nope not playing. U am not picking up what you're puttin down I refuse to buy what is being sold. Though I get the feeling my reaction to that bet would be I already sold my soul to the Grace of God. That or I'd say, Cristo and see what happens. Why? Because I am no, Johnny Ringo.

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

545 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 25, 2015
Last Updated on November 26, 2017


Author

R. L. Hill
R. L. Hill

San Antonio, TX



About
"If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don't write, because our culture has no use for it." ~Anais Nin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.. more..

Writing
Poetry Poetry

A Book by R. L. Hill


Echoes Echoes

A Chapter by R. L. Hill